Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.  (Read 2614 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: So thus far Star Trek Discovery sucks.
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2017, 06:54:05 am »
Bangs the admiral then throw her under the klingon bus in order to keep his post.
save the admiral huh?
yeah lets see what star fleet says even though i've ordered us into the belly of the beast numerous times before and to hell with what starfleet says.

who didn't see that coming a mile away?

ok. the show has gotten better.
still prefer orville.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:44 pm »
Ugh, 7 Episodes in and they've already played the -stuck in a time loop- card. This show is such a train wreck.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2017, 08:04:41 pm »
I actually liked 7, but more in a campy b-movie way.  Some things were terrible and very un-trek-like but in such a way that they wrapped around and became sort of charming.  Like the star fleet rave party.  That was pretty stupid and very kelvin universe.  I thought it was pretty bad-ass when Mudd came out of the space whale with a space suit that was so cheesy it should have been on Lost in Space.  Also the space whale... again, let's blow canon to hell.  The first space whale-ish creature seen in Starfleet was that one on TNG, which they could have dodged a little bit, but absolutely nobody seemed impressed or suprised by the space whale..... if anything they seemed a bit annoyed. 

Last night's Orville was pretty good.  It's yet another recycled tng plot, but it was world building and done very well.  Poor-man's Data FTW!

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2017, 08:23:30 am »
This thread seems to be as much for The Orville as it is for ST Discovery so here goes with my opinion on the Orville.

After 4 episodes in, I have to say I'm way more impressed with this show than I thought I'd be. I'm neither a fan nor a non-fan of Seth MacFarlane but I have to say there's been a few bouts of actual acting in some of these episodes, especially the gender re-assignment one.  The Orville plays like Star Trek light, don't worry about the details, just have fun and look at the heart.  Specific to the gender reassignment, yes, that is like classic Trek and kudos on them for going with the ending they did.  The only thing I was expecting that maybe I wish they had done, is some kind of scan of the planet showing gender reassignment isn't the rare event they have said it is (kind of alluded with the companion and the female) but I get that may have gotten too far from the main point.  Like good sci-fi, the episode made you think afterwards, for both sides of the argument and even different arguments. Well done!

The early teasers/trailers for this show were really off-base though, giving us the impression it would be more Galaxy Quest style but as it's been stated in this thread, it's really a drama with some comedic bits.  If I can be critical, I like this type of comedy but they are doing such a decent job with the drama parts that I wonder if it's not misplaced at times.  Still, when they nail a joke, I do indeed laugh so I guess they know what they are doing.

I still have quite a few other episodes to catch up on and as far as ST:D is concerned, I'm only watched 2 halves of 2 episodes, I do plan on watching from the beginning, just haven't gotten around to it. So although I haven't seen enough to really say which is better, I'll say I can't wait to watch more of the Orville while for ST:D, I guess I'll get around to it eventually.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:15 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 10:52:46 pm »
Well there is this crackpot theory circulating that ST:D is set in the evil mirror universe and believe it or not episode 8 kind of alluded to that theory.  I'll try to avoid spoilers, but there is a crew member that is currently hooked up to the spore drive that is hallucinating after a jump.  They call the nerdy roommate "captain" and in a later scene explain that after a jump they feel "here in time and space one moment and events and history are shifted about the next"   I mean that sounds like an alternate universe to me and I don't see how they could invent a universe darker than the one they already have. 

Of course things have been fairly terrible thus far, so it could just be bad writing.  Honestly if there was anything to watch on Monday evenings I wouldn't be watching this train-wreck. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2017, 02:18:52 pm »
is an "alternate reality" an excuse for everybody hating it?

executive#1 EVERYONE HATES STAR TREK DISCOVERY!
executive#2 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, enact the... ALTERNATE REALITY backup plan!
executive#1 until we hire new writers more in touch with what people want?
executive#2 EXACTLY!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2017, 08:54:25 pm »
is an "alternate reality" an excuse for everybody hating it?

executive#1 EVERYONE HATES STAR TREK DISCOVERY!
executive#2 ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, enact the... ALTERNATE REALITY backup plan!
executive#1 until we hire new writers more in touch with what people want?
executive#2 EXACTLY!

What are you talking about?
It's a highly rated show.
the internet says so. ::)

personally i got two episodes in the Q and looking for other stuff to watch on hulu and netflix.
it's not horrible or even bad, there is just other stuff i'd rather watch.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:39 pm »
Actually I haven't found a single person on the internet that liked it.  Now clueless Hollywood critics, they love the pos. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:07 am »
I like Discovery, a lot.

I came in with very low expectations and am very happy so far.
  • There was at the start of the show about 60+ years of canon. Star Trek has always played a little fast and lose with canon in order to keep telling relevant stories for the time the current show is in. In TOS the Klingons stood in for the USSR, how many times did they talk about there all important religion before Next Gen? In STNG the became much more like the Japanese. Ones bitter enemies who have become close allies, and are honor obsessed warriors.
    Discovery is looking at modern issue’s like ethnocentrism, cultural preservation, and ultra nationalism. The Klingons and elements of the Volcans are being used to tell stories around these issues. Make the empire Great again!!!
  • Enterprise went out of it’s way to fit into the Canon and even fixing continuity, some 30 years after it was broken. And they had one good season (the second) where they had to leave the usual stomping grounds of the federation to free themselves up to tell a new interesting story. And it didn't fit into the original time line ether, do to time travel.

There are lots of things I would have done differently, but I’m willing to give them time and space to tell new relevent stories.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:03:00 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2017, 12:32:31 pm »
You don't blow away 50 years worth of the tightest canon in sci-fi history because "it's hard." That is an unforgivable sin, full stop.  Also if enterprise is so bad why did they go out of their way to make yet another prequel show that nobody wanted?  You can like it, I won't deny you that, but it is objectively bad and more importantly objectively bad Star Trek.  Canon, on Star Trek, is paramount.  There are over 280 hours of Star Trek out there with very few bad episodes/films.  Do you know what almost all of that bad content has in common?  Yup, they break canon.  Breaking canon is a warning sign that writers and show runners only have a superficial understanding of Star Trek and thus the episodes turn out sub-par because they don't understand the characters, tropes, and settings they are writing about. 

You say you wish to give them "space to tell new relevant stories".  How's that worked out so far?  They've done the "completing this mission is morally objective as it hurts a sentient creature" episode, the obligatory time loop episode and the "crew member is taken over by a seemingly good race of non-corporeal beings" episode.  Not a lot of new there, which would be fine, if they didn't ruin canon.  My point is there was zero reason to do it and this show needs to die so we can finally have a 25th century sequel to real Star Trek.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2017, 01:46:02 pm »
Canon, on Star Trek, is paramount.

Is it really though?  I mean, again I can only really use TNG as an example since it's the only show I've bothered to watch end-to-end.  But owing to its lack of over-arching narrative, writers seemed to have no trouble introducing ideas and then eschewing them later.  The egregiously silly "warp speed limit" comes to mind...

There are over 280 hours of Star Trek out there with very few bad episodes/films.

TNG might have something to say about that...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:09:45 pm by shponglefan »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:50 pm »
Canon, on Star Trek, is paramount.

Is it really though?  I mean, again I can only really use TNG as an example since it's the only show I've bothered to watch end-to-end.  But owing to its lack of over-arching narrative, writers seemed to have no trouble introducing ideas and then eschewing them later.  The egregiously silly "warp speed limit" comes to mind...

There are over 280 hours of Star Trek out there with very few bad episodes/films.

TNG might have something to say about that...

This is a good point. There are a lot of bad TNG episodes, most of voyager was crap, and even DS9 (the best star trek) had lots of terrible episodes. In fact DS9, which I love and just re-watched last year, took two or three years to find it's groove. The final 3 seasons, and it huge story arks made that show.   

Give Discovery a chance and don't sweet the in-continuities with canon, some one will fix them 20 year later or we will just over look them for ever.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31