Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Warlords Custom  (Read 3442 times)

Spawn2k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2022, 12:27:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Atari Warlords Custom
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:12:19 am »
I plan on building a dedicated warlords cocktail cabinet 19". I'm looking for it to have the same look and feel as the original. When I posted on Reddit about warlords on the raspberry pi I was met with a lot of negativity due to how old the build of mame is. Some googling brought me to byoac with 1500points already working on it. What luck! From his posting it looks like it's entirely possible so I'm going to start the build. I was originally going to use some spinners but after some research it looks like i will be using potentiometers. Projected time: 3 months of weekends.

The Cabinet
  • I will be using cabinet grade 3/4" maple plywood.
  • The glass top will most likely be 1/4" plexi. I think the coolest way to install the plexi would be to mortise out the top 1/4" leaving 1/2" trim all the way around. Hot glue may keep it in place or fabricate clips with sugru or epoxy putty.
  • The top door hinge might be 3/4 wrap around butt hinge (short side like orig) or piano hinge along the length.
  • The control panel will be plywood and not metal.
  • The metal T legs cut from might be 2 plywood T's glued together. I'm not sure how rigid it has to be. Have to get a quote on some metal legs or find some kind of IKEA legs.

Electronics
  • 19" VGA CRT
  • Raspberry Pi 3
  • Ultimarc A-Pac
  • 4 potentiometers. I'm still doing some research on this. I purchased a RV4NAYSK502A (single turn, linear). Orig warlords was 3/4 turn linear. Ill be doing some testing before I decide. If I go with a smaller shaft pot I will have to mount some kind of bracket.
  • 2 speakers with mono sound. Not sure the size yet. The orig speaker was mounted behind the side leg post. I may move it to a different location. Not sure yet.
  • I will be using arcade buttons instead of Atari Volcano buttons. They are hard to find and mount to metal cp's like the orig pots.
  • No coin door. It will be set to free play. You have to pump so many quarters It takes the fun out of it.

Artwork
  • Cardboard bezel under the plexi?
  • Cross that bridge when we get there.

Build Log
  • The first step I will do is create a template of the side from mdf.
  • Use the template to create the 2 sides.
  • Dato 1/4" for bottom, left, and right sides for strength.
  • Cut slot for t-molding (since there is only a 1/4" gap from side to dato I will be routing the slot after assembly. I want to make sure I don't cut into the dato
  • Left, right, and bottom sides have been cut.
  • After a test fit it looks like everything was too tight. Trying to get all 3 sides to fit was a struggle. I sanded the dato some for a looser fit and to make sure some glue would get in there.
  • It was a struggle but I got everything glued and connected. Definitely not perfect. If I ever build another cab I will only dato the bottom.
  • I added ledgers to the inside seams for strength. Holes were pre-drilled, glued, then screwed.
  • Cut T-molding slot on outside edges
  • Sanded all the edges just a bit with 220 sandpaper
  • Attached bottom CP board to the cab with double wide L brackets. (removable)
  • Attached front CP board to bottom CP board with L bracket. While attached I glued 3/4" ledgers
  • The top CP board is attached with a double roller catch on each side. There is a 1/4" overhang at the bottom where you can lift up and take out the panel.
  • Test fitted the CRT I am going to use. It will be off center due to the input panel. I don't plan on de-casing it.
  • After testing pots EJC1N048F502M vs RV4NAYSK502A I found they work the same. Feel wise the EJC is a bit harder to turn while the RV4 feels broken in. Both work great in mame but I will be going with the RV4 due to the price.
  • Cut hole for monitor using a flush trim bit.
  • Cut t-molding slot for monitor board
  • Cut 2x2x1/4 squares for pot mounting bracket. Cut button hole in the center
  • Used a dremel to cut some 2x2 squares of sheet metal. Cut a hole in the center big enough for the pot threads. Cut a tiny hole for the pot leg.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:15:22 am by Spawn2k »

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
Re: Atari Warlords Custom
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:00:28 pm »
Just saw this. Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spawn2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:18:09 pm »
Just saw this. Subscribed!

I hope you do a project log as well! Untill then I'll just stalk your post in pi/dev board.

Spawn2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:21:40 am »
Updated post.

Spawn2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:19:31 am »
Updated. I will have to see about de-casing the crt so i can center it. Its heavy and my fear is i will drop it on the neck. The off center is really OFF-putting.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:22:00 am by Spawn2k »