Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retropie + X-arcade Tankstick = Frustration  (Read 10008 times)

WetpantsMcGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2019, 03:44:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Retropie + X-arcade Tankstick = Frustration
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »
Before you guys jump on me about getting a Tankstick, I would like to say that I already regret it and wish I had just built my own damn CP.

So now that my cab is mostly together, I wanted to test everything out and see what problems I'm going to find.  Well, the biggest one so far is getting my RPi 3 to recognize my Tankstick.  According to X-arcade's website, it's a known problem that Tanksticks don't play well with the RPi 3s, so they have a custom method for installing Xarcade2Jstick.  I followed the directions to a T, but even after a sudo reboot it still will not recognize the Tankstick.  The red light on the CP is illuminated, so it's clearly connected to the Pi.  Anyone else run into this stupid problem?  I got frustrated enough that I pulled out an old PC just to find out that the board in that one is DOA.  Not having a good day  :banghead:

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2019, 03:44:18 pm
Re: Retropie + X-arcade Tankstick = Frustration
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 12:55:16 pm »
Problem solved, though not the easiest way.  Just mounted a fresh image, then went through the steps again and now I've got everything working. /threadover

JeremyX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2017, 12:40:23 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »
This is much easier to set up now with the new instructions here: https://support.xgaming.com/solution/articles/5000554993-how-to-use-x-arcade-with-raspberry-pi

petrockblog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2018, 03:10:29 pm
  • Tinkerer, programmer, father, founder of RetroPie
    • petrockblock
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 03:40:47 pm »
Some time ago I have released a handy tool "Xarcade2Jstick " that makes using the Tankstick together with RetroPie easier: https://blog.petrockblock.com/2014/06/01/xarcade2jstick/. Maybe that helps  :)

grelb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2021, 06:29:54 am
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 10:22:35 pm »
OMG I have been having this problem for a while now and have searched high and low to see if I had the correct cables or the latest updates or an incompatible XArcade.  I'll give this a go tonight and see if it solves it.

bollwerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2023, 08:27:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 09:05:45 pm »
Blog link doesn't seem to work anymore, so here is a better link to the software itself:
https://github.com/petrockblog/Xarcade2Jstick