Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best way to swap between an HDMI LCD and 15khz CRT?  (Read 3235 times)

burn_654

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best way to swap between an HDMI LCD and 15khz CRT?
« on: September 22, 2017, 09:34:00 am »
Hi there,

What would be the best way to have a crt_emudriver setup where I could swap my primary monitor between a 31khz LCD and a 15khz monitor? Would I need to make a monitor preset which has a crt_range accounting for both? I will likely execute a batch file to swap mame.ini to one with lcd-appropriate settings when I hook up to one. The only 31khz resolutions I'd be interested in are 1080p and maybe 720p.

In this scenario will I be ok with using one dvi output (and the 15khz edid) solely for 15khz res. and a second dvi/hdmi/displayport for a 720p/1080p output to a consumer tv?

I'm basically looking at building a luggable mini-itx GroovyMame rig with controllers that I could hook up to my 15khz crt's and friend's lcd panels/your average hotel tv. The best of both worlds for some casual fun.

Has anyone set up accounting for both?

Dochartaigh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2023, 10:52:29 pm
Re: Best way to swap between an HDMI LCD and 15khz CRT?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:07 am »
You posted while I was writing the same question on another post! (that other post is my first post here so it's still awaiting moderator approval) - I'll stay tuned here to see what can be done about this.

My own problem is I want to run MAME on a CRT monitor, while still being able to use the computer as normal (to do things like browse the web) on a second LCD/LED HDMI monitor (i.e. my regular 1080p flatscreen TV).

maiki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 05:51:29 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »
I think it is much easier and makes more sence to have a dedicated computer for 15 kHz video gaming and another PC for internet. Especially today when they are all that cheap.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:06:19 pm »
Best way to swap between an HDMI LCD and 15khz CRT?

Install crtemudriver
Unplug LCD and throw in trash
Plan on crt

:laugh2:

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 10:49:16 pm »
Make sure you're using a card that can output to both monitors at once, if needs be. A Radeon 6000 series or higher is good, as VMM will only be able to install EDID emulation on the analog port. That port can then never go wrong, and the CRT will never get hurt.  The LCD you plug into another video output on the card, and it will tell windows what it's capable of.

Then you use two instances of GM in two separate folders. One is setup to always output to the CRT, whichever display that is, with the right range line, and the other copy of GM always goes to the LCD. This way you aren't having to make config files for every game. Can split the art and roms as you like. Make sure you don't leave the line in mame.ini telling GM to output to the right screen as "Auto", specify which monitor. You should also test what happens when you power up with only one screen plugged in, do the display numbers switch - not in windows, but in ArcadeOSD. If they switch, you need to plan for that, possibly with a third copy of GM :)

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:15:25 am »
I hear you guys on the ditch the lcd mantra - at home I have invested in crt stock  ;D
This is going to be my second pc built around low resolution/crt_emudriver use.

Said pc I'm building is actually a pretty portable mini itx board that I'm putting into an NES case (was broken before, don't worry) and wiring in controller adapters to the front ports. Unfortunately the built in APU is having some issues with low progressive resolutions/low dotclock so I'm fitting a low power half-height card in there (a 6450 is in the mail) for purposes of crt_emudriver. It should be pretty slick when everything's said and done,

It's just a matter of -bringing- said emulator pc to friends or a hotel and still being able to play some games - where the possibility of a crt being there is next to zero. I don't mind having a separate config/emu folder. I guess I'll just have to try it, thanks for the EDID tip buttersoft - my main concern was if I swap monitors would it try to send 'bad' resolutions to the lcd or vice versa (or worse if I could lose my custom resolutions.)

I'll let you guys know how I get on. Think CRT for home/serious play/main intent and lcd for taking it places (when I can't take my jvc pvm, haha.)

Dochartaigh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:28 am »
burn_654, what if your motherboard has a built in Intel (or whatnot) video card? Would you then have to go through the hassle of changing settings every time or could you simply use that for HDMI out (to a LCD/LED flatscreen), then have CRT Emudriver setup to ONLY work on the video card you're using with your CRT?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 10:10:09 pm »
burn_654, what if your motherboard has a built in Intel (or whatnot) video card? Would you then have to go through the hassle of changing settings every time or could you simply use that for HDMI out (to a LCD/LED flatscreen), then have CRT Emudriver setup to ONLY work on the video card you're using with your CRT?

Is there any difference between doing that and just using two ports on the one 5000 series or newer GPU, though?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 07:30:27 am »
I hear you guys on the ditch the lcd mantra - at home I have invested in crt stock  ;D
This is going to be my second pc built around low resolution/crt_emudriver use.

Said pc I'm building is actually a pretty portable mini itx board that I'm putting into an NES case (was broken before, don't worry) and wiring in controller adapters to the front ports. Unfortunately the built in APU is having some issues with low progressive resolutions/low dotclock so I'm fitting a low power half-height card in there (a 6450 is in the mail) for purposes of crt_emudriver. It should be pretty slick when everything's said and done,

It's just a matter of -bringing- said emulator pc to friends or a hotel and still being able to play some games - where the possibility of a crt being there is next to zero. I don't mind having a separate config/emu folder. I guess I'll just have to try it, thanks for the EDID tip buttersoft - my main concern was if I swap monitors would it try to send 'bad' resolutions to the lcd or vice versa (or worse if I could lose my custom resolutions.)

I'll let you guys know how I get on. Think CRT for home/serious play/main intent and lcd for taking it places (when I can't take my jvc pvm, haha.)

RPI has composite that every tv has. I'd use that.

Dochartaigh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 09:15:08 am »

Is there any difference between doing that and just using two ports on the one 5000 series or newer GPU, though?

That I don't know - I'm still in the "heavy research" phase right now. I assumed the CRT Emudriver was 'locked' (for lack of a better word) to the HD Radeon video card since that's what would be setup to output 15khz signal to a CRT TV or monitor. And if my computer has a totally separate (even down to the BIOS? level since it's an video card which is integrated into the motherboard itself) video card I could solely dicate to use on a modern HDMI LCD flatscreen that might kinda act in a totally separate manner and not interfere with the CRT Emudrivers...but like I said, I'm still researching and really have no clue which is why I'm asking here and other places to get advice.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 08:12:54 pm »
The EDID emulation feature in crt_emudriver will target one particular display output. In the case of the 6000+ series cards, there's only going to be one analog output it will work for anyway. The other port(s) you can just plug an LCD into and it's own EDID will tell windows what it can do. You *may* need to make sure you install the right modelines for not only the 15kHz screen but also the LCD's, but in my case i could just plug in an LCD. This is going to be the same with one GPU or separate GPU's.