Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Setting up a Trak Ball in Mame?  (Read 11511 times)

lovespicyfood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 12:37:08 am
Setting up a Trak Ball in Mame?
« on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:54 am »
Hey All,

I don't get how to setup the input for a Trak Ball in Mame.  I have the trak ball setup as a mouse in my cab and it works fine in that capacity.
When I hit "tab" in a game, what's with all the inputs for a trak ball.  Can someone help a newbie?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Setting up a Trak Ball in Mame?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:15:14 am »
I don't get how to setup the input for a Trak Ball in Mame.  I have the trak ball setup as a mouse in my cab and it works fine in that capacity.
When I hit "tab" in a game, what's with all the inputs for a trak ball.  Can someone help a newbie?
The important ones from that menu are:
- "Track X Analog" = P1 X-axis (horizontal)
- "Track Y Analog" = P1 Y-axis (vertical)
- "Track X 2 Analog" = P2 X-axis (if you have a second trackball)
- "Track Y 2 Analog" = P2 Y-axis (if you have a second trackball)

The inputs that you can set to "none" (Press Enter then ESC) are the "Inc" (increase) and "Dec" (decrease) inputs since those are used by MAME to generate fake trackball-style control inputs using a joystick or buttons if you don't have a trackball.

"Analog Controls" menu:
- Sensitivity setting controls the sensitivity of that axis.
- Reverse setting changes the direction of that axis. (i.e. change this if moving the trackball left moves the cursor right)
- Digital Speed settings are used by MAME for the fake trackball-style inputs.
----
Another consideration is that you appear to have "multi-mouse" enabled because "Track X Analog" = "Mouse 1 X" instead of "Mouse X".

I'm not sure if MAME sees your trackball as Mouse 1 or 2.   :dunno
----
To configure the trackball defaults for all trackball games:
(You'll also need to re-configure any games that you already configured)
  - Go to the "Input (general)" menu
  - Go to the "Player 1 controls" sub-menu and scroll way down to the "Track" settings (PgDn ~4 times)
  - Highlight "Track X Analog"
  - Press Enter
  - Move the trackball horizontally (should come up as "Mouse X" or "Mouse 1 X" or "Mouse 2 X")
  - Highlight "Track Y Analog"
  - Press Enter
  - Move the trackball vertically
  - Change the four Track "Inc" and "Dec"  settings to "none" (Enter, ESC)
  - If you have a second trackball, repeat this process in the "Player 2 controls" sub-menu.
  - Play games to see if an axis needs to be reversed in that particular game.   ;D

Scott

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:49:37 pm »
yes... this is a mame setting in the program itself (not tab). Under controls you have to enable the trackball.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:04 pm »
The important ones from that menu are:
- "Track X Analog" = P1 X-axis (horizontal)
- "Track Y Analog" = P1 Y-axis (vertical)
- "Track X 2 Analog" = P2 X-axis (if you have a second trackball)
- "Track Y 2 Analog" = P2 Y-axis (if you have a second trackball)

The inputs that you can set to "none" (Press Enter then ESC) are the "Inc" (increase) and "Dec" (decrease) inputs since those are used by MAME to generate fake trackball-style control inputs using a joystick or buttons if you don't have a trackball.

"Analog Controls" menu:
- Sensitivity setting controls the sensitivity of that axis.
- Reverse setting changes the direction of that axis. (i.e. change this if moving the trackball left moves the cursor right)
- Digital Speed settings are used by MAME for the fake trackball-style inputs.
----
Another consideration is that you appear to have "multi-mouse" enabled because "Track X Analog" = "Mouse 1 X" instead of "Mouse X".

I'm not sure if MAME sees your trackball as Mouse 1 or 2.   :dunno
----
To configure the trackball defaults for all trackball games:
(You'll also need to re-configure any games that you already configured)
  - Go to the "Input (general)" menu
  - Go to the "Player 1 controls" sub-menu and scroll way down to the "Track" settings (PgDn ~4 times)
  - Highlight "Track X Analog"
  - Press Enter
  - Move the trackball horizontally (should come up as "Mouse X" or "Mouse 1 X" or "Mouse 2 X")
  - Highlight "Track Y Analog"
  - Press Enter
  - Move the trackball vertically
  - Change the four Track "Inc" and "Dec"  settings to "none" (Enter, ESC)
  - If you have a second trackball, repeat this process in the "Player 2 controls" sub-menu.
  - Play games to see if an axis needs to be reversed in that particular game.   ;D

Scott

THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to help me out!  Worked like a charm!  I can play Millipede now...life is good...

Is there a way to accelerate the movement of the shooter in Millipede by spinning the trackball faster?  I see the input for the analog control which allows adjustment of the digital speed and sensitivity.  I've cranked it up quite a bit but it seems spinning the trak ball faster doesn't make the shooter move faster.  Maybe this isn't possible in Millipede...I seem to remember it being possible but maybe I'm wrong...

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:03:08 pm »
yes... this is a mame setting in the program itself (not tab). Under controls you have to enable the trackball.

Thanks Ian!  I had modified the config file but set it to multimouse so I disabled that as I only have one trak ball...