Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Bartop Project  (Read 18953 times)

proplayer77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Raspberry Pi Bartop Project
« on: September 18, 2017, 10:27:51 am »
Im starting a Raspberry pi project with Retropie.

Im gathering first all electronics and have some questions.

Heres what i have sofar gathered:

-Raspberry Pi 2 with wlan and BT dongles and memomy card
-2 speakers (taken off 5-1 system) + Speaker controls over the same systems board
-Handle + 8 button joystick kits x 2  + some extra buttons 1 and 2 playes, flipper and reset for Raspberry.
-HDMI to VGA converter with audio

Display im still working on. I threw away some old 17-19 vga/dvi lcd few moths ago, so i have to get some display now. I have been thinking 19" 4:3 VGA or if i cant find one its going to be 22-23 DVI or hdmi.
EDIT: got a 24" fullhd now in use.

Cabinet models are still also under planning, but i think its going to be full size. If you have simple drawings i would appreaciate that too. I have some that ive found allready.
EDIT: it became a bartop for this first project.

One big question is the power. I would like to have a single power button for all the electronics. Can i use a 5 to 12W, i would appreaciate links which models you suggest.

I dont know yet about the marque or other "tunings" - no plans for this, but all ideas are appreciated.

Project is dedicated for my son to show how and what we "old dudes" played 30-35 years back with the right feeling:).

Thx!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:22:58 am by proplayer77 »

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
Re: Raspberry Pi Project start - some questions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:02:50 pm »
for power in arcade projects, here is what I tend to do.

use a normal light switch from hardware store, drill a 1-1/8 hole and mount it so the toggle is in the center of the hole. nice and hidden and inexpensive.
that switch cuts the main power cord coming in.

the switched power in goes into a normal outlet box from hardware store wired with a normal/cheap 2 socket outlet.

Then a cheap little power strip plugs into the wired outlet mentioned above.  usually two for 6 bucks at Menard's in the extension cord aisle.
plugging all the electronics into the strip.

You CAN if you want install a safe power down script for the pi to do a software power down.  and add a momentary button on the cab somewhere.
BUT I've discovered in cabs I made for a church youthgroup that you can just cut power to the whole thing and not worry about the safe software power down.
Over a year of repeated power cycling every week and not one corrupted sd card.
even if it does corrupt, it is very easy to reformat the card with a fresh build (ie retropie).

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:33:25 am by proplayer77 »

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:18:27 am »
I only use an arcade switching power supply for builds involving a jamma harness and a pcb.

For a pi build, think of how you power your living room tv and all the stuff plugged in around it like a game console, sound bar, lighting.
Your lights, sound and such are likely just normal AC plugins, aren't they?  Like you could plug into the wall?
For the Pi, you only need a micro USB power source.  For that matter you could buy a "powered" USB hub and plug the Pi directly into that to power it.

So all you really need is a normal AC power strip like you might have under your computer desk

If this is going to be in a smaller closed container you might want to get a little 30mm fan on amazon or ebay. they are usually around 2.50 shipped.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:17:48 am »
Im starting a Raspberry pi project with Retropie.

Im gathering first all electronics and have some questions.

Heres what i have sofar gathered:

-Raspberry Pi 2 with wlan and BT dongles and memomy card
-2 speakers (taken off 5-1 system) + Speaker controls over the same systems board
-Handle + 8 button joystick kits x 2  + some extra buttons 1 and 2 playes, flipper and reset for Raspberry.
-HDMI to VGA converter with audio

Display im still working on. I threw away some old 17-19 vga/dvi lcd few moths ago, so i have to get some display now. I have been thinking 19" 4:3 VGA or if i cant find one its going to be 22-23 DVI or hdmi.

Cabinet models are still also under planning, but i think its going to be full size. If you have simple drawings i would appreaciate that too. I have some that ive found allready.

One big question is the power. I would like to have a single power button for all the electronics. Can i use a 5 to 12W, i would appreaciate links which models you suggest.

I dont know yet about the marque or other "tunings" - no plans for this, but all ideas are appreciated.

Project is dedicated for my son to show how and what we "old dudes" played 30-35 years back with the right feeling:).

Thx!
I guess you first should decide what exactly you want to power. All depends on what electronics you decide to use.
  • Raspberry Pi: 5V micro USB (I recommend the official power supply)
  • Powered USB hub (just to be sure): 5V (I recommend the PiHut.com powered hub)
  • Monitor: 110-230V
  • Amplifier board: 5V, 12V or higher (I recommend a 12-19V power supply and a TPA3116 board)
  • Lighting for marquee etc: 5V or 12V (I would say a led strip of 12V)

So different voltages, but as 1500points says: all separate power supplies are plugged in AC (110/230V). So a AC strip (with switch) would be perfect. Just place it in your cabinet and solder a switch, so you can turn of AC power from the outside. Or use something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panel-Mount-Rocker-Switch-IEC320-C14-Plug-Power-Socket-AC-250V-10A-Black-/
Make sure you power down the RPi from within RetroPie before switching the AC, to minimize the risk of sd card corruption.  If you are as lazy as me you can even get a power down circuit like the Mausberry circuit or the PowerBlock. They work with a switch that safely powers down the RPi (without having to use the option in RetroPie). When you use that in conjunction with something like this https://goo.gl/usgWKo you don't need the AC switch (as the RPi will turn off all other electronics).

By the way, why do you use a RPi2 and not a RPi3? Did you already own that? In my opinion RetroPie runs way (!) better on the 3. But for quite some emulators the 2 runs fine as well. Just depending on what you want to achieve with it...

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 06:21:58 am »
Hi!

Im using Pi 2 B now, also have the first one B. I might be updating to 3 B before im done, but well see.

Im a bit lost here with the power supply. Maybe im thinking too difficult :).

One more time:

As i need 220V to the cabinet (here in Finland its 220V), i need to divide that incoming powet with some easy way inside the cabin to get different voltages.

So 220V -> 5V, 12V i think will do. I ordered today the power supply i linked from alixpress before, heres almost similar device: https://www.diyarcade.com.au/arcade-power-supply.

So my first simple question is that if i add from this device an on/off switch before its in the wall getting 220V - is it ok? Then this handles all power to the cabin. If i do so i need to have some way to power down the Rpi before all power is gone?

Then i can take 5V and 12V from this device to all devices i need: RPi, Display, Sounds and lights.

plazma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 11:37:54 am
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 06:32:42 am »
RPi 3 is only 29,90€ at Gigantti and Power stores in Finland.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:53:14 am »
Oh, I didn't realize you were in Finland.  I have never been overseas so I'm woefully unfamiliar with the power grid.

But from a general safety perspective about wiring.
For the 220 power coming into the arcade box, put the main on/off switch on one of the wires coming in. 
That way you are breaking the power to the whole box with the main switch.
When that switch is off you will know for sure that no power is in the machine which is a big safety factor.

here is some history background just to be aware:
In old arcade machines they would bring the main power into an isolation transformer which broke off all the voltages and also served as isolation for the crt arcade monitor.
power was always live to the transformer and had an outlet on it for plugging in things like a light or soldering iron.
The cabinet on/off would control the power to the items in the game like lights/pcb/monitor.
In modern day that isn't really the safest way to think about power for an old electronic item placed inside your house.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 02:08:46 pm »
Hi!

Im using Pi 2 B now, also have the first one B. I might be updating to 3 B before im done, but well see.

One more time:

As i need 220V to the cabinet (here in Finland its 220V), i need to divide that incoming powet with some easy way inside the cabin to get different voltages.

So 220V -> 5V, 12V i think will do. I ordered today the power supply i linked from alixpress before, heres almost similar device: https://www.diyarcade.com.au/arcade-power-supply.

So my first simple question is that if i add from this device an on/off switch before its in the wall getting 220V - is it ok? Then this handles all power to the cabin. If i do so i need to have some way to power down the Rpi before all power is gone?

Then i can take 5V and 12V from this device to all devices i need: RPi, Display, Sounds and lights.
That's not what we meant. I really don't get why you want to use that specific power supply. Why not:
And all that plugged in:

Place that in the cabinet and cut off the plug, then connect that to something like:

But yes, you should still turn off the RPi safely from RetroPie:
()

If you really want just one button (and power down safely), you can use this circuit: https://blog.petrockblock.com/2016/05/20/new-revision-of-the-powerblock-increased-flexibility/ or https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/
And then instead of the power strip mentioned before, use this one (where the RPi is plugged in to the master slot):

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 02:18:20 pm »
Hi!

One more time:

That's not what we meant. I really don't get why you want to use that specific power supply. Why not:
And all that plugged in:

Place that in the cabinet and cut off the plug, then connect that to something like:

But yes, you should still turn off the RPi safely from RetroPie:
()

If you really want just one button (and power down safely), you can use this circuit: https://blog.petrockblock.com/2016/05/20/new-revision-of-the-powerblock-increased-flexibility/ or https://mausberry-circuits.myshopify.com/
And then instead of the power strip mentioned before, use this one (where the RPi is plugged in to the master slot):

I have allready a 5V Pi power supply and 12V for the Audio, and of course a cable for the supply,so i can do this. I ordered that switch too. Thx :)

About Raspberry. I got a problem with the Pi 2 i have made a retropie image to check it out.

I get this error:

lvl0: Error initializing SDL!
No available displays
lvl0: Renderer failed to initialize!
lvl0: Window failed to initialize!
pi@retropie:~ $

im using mobaXterm and Xming, so i use Putty SSH style for now to get it running first.
edit:this was not an issue, as everything worked ok when using directly Pi, not via my computer.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:14:12 am by proplayer77 »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:28:36 pm »
re-download retropie image
re-write to the SD card.
I use etcher to white my images to the rpi.

If it still doesn't work try a different SD card.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 03:09:46 am »
I have allready a 5V Pi power supply and 12V for the Audio, and of course a cable for the supply,so i can do this. I ordered that switch too. Thx :)
Huh, but why did you order the arcade power supply then? You won't need it if you already have power supplies for everything. A monitor probably just got a 220V cable and for lights you should get yourself another 12V power supply.

And are you installing RetroPie on top of Raspbian? Then check this: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6196/error-creating-sdl-window/

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 03:51:00 am »
Huh, but why did you order the arcade power supply then? You won't need it if you already have power supplies for everything. A monitor probably just got a 220V cable and for lights you should get yourself another 12V power supply.

And are you installing RetroPie on top of Raspbian? Then check this: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/6196/error-creating-sdl-window/
About Arcade Powersupply: I can use it to other projects now that its allready ordered.

About Retropie: I downloaded the retropie image, and wrote to a 64gb memorycard. (https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/)

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 03:02:44 am »
Project started. Some pics here:

Next step is to work with the marquee, speaker, back, and control panel woodwork. Using Plywood 15mm.

Still waiting for the buttons and joystick to come so no rush.

Also bought a Ryobi electric coping saw, which was a great tool to work with the sides. These projects tend to make toolsets expand in garage :).
Also using my cirkular saw and electric "mouse" sander.

I picked up a great FullHD viewsonic 24" for this project. Installation went fine and it was the measure how wide the cabin would be. :applaud:

Lots still to do but game is on. The bartop is about 60cm high and 60cm wide, 56cm deep.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:49:07 am by proplayer77 »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 01:58:01 pm »
Good luck! Looking good already!

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 02:35:25 pm »
Thx! Speaker shelf installed. One step at a time...

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 04:12:16 am »
 Back parts (door and 2 other parts) cut and checked.

Also control board measured to cover the screens brand and buttons.

Made a 15-30 degrees towards the screen.

Controls havent arrived yet, waiting for them before making holes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 04:54:16 am »
Looking good, remember some ventilation holes!

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
Looking good, remember some ventilation holes!

Thx. Where do you suggest i should drill the holes? Backside or bottom? How many should i drill?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 02:23:53 pm »
Heat rises so above your equipment.

It doesn't hurt installing a fan to help out either.

My pi has heat sinks and a mini fan fitted to keep it cool but monitors can chuck out heat to.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 02:37:32 am »
This is true. I have different sizes fans, have to make some plans for this.
Rasp heatsink and small fan is under control.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 11:43:53 am »
Checking in on your progress.  The project looks great so far!  :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 12:51:43 pm »
Thx! Tonight i made some progress again.
Going to use one big fan (quiet)

Display is quite big 24" so good to ventilate 🙂.

One question: any advice on making the button holes when i get the goods.

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 02:29:34 pm »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 03:32:40 pm »
I always use hole saws.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 02:03:23 am »
If you are using a hand held drill than the hole saws are the way to go. If you have a drill press though, the forstner bits are even better and produce better results. I just bought a whole forstner bit set off of Amazon for $30 and it has 16 bits, 15mm-35mm.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 09:32:33 am »
Is this model bit ok? I havent received the buttons yet but read they are 30mm holes. Joystick hole has to be smaller ofc. Do you have a ready measurement plan for 2 player setup? I can ofc decide my own placement, have some plans allready.
Im still thinking about flipper (pinball)  buttons too to the sides but have to be sure not to make any mistakes with the hole drilling...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 01:16:57 am by proplayer77 »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 09:46:29 am »
My buttons are 28mm so you may want to double check that.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2017, 11:00:03 am »
"DIY Handle 8 Way Arcade Joystick Kits 5 Pin 24mm/30mm Push Button Replacement Arcade Set Cable USB Encoder To PC Joystick Games"

Package Included:
1x Encoder Board
1x USB Cable
1x 5 Pin Joystick
8x 30mm Push Buttons
2x 24mm Push Buttons
13x Wire Cables for Buttons

I have 2 of those sets coming. So it seems i need 24 and 30.... In fact i dont know if this is the montage size or the pressing ends size :)

The extra buttons i ordered 1player, 2 player etc seems to be 27.5mm montage, bought them separately.

So i need 3 sizes plus the joystick hole. Is the joystick hole like 20mm?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:04:01 am by proplayer77 »

1500points

• Offline Offline
Re: Raspberry Pi Bartop Project - some questions
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2017, 02:50:20 pm »
those little hole saw bits aren't very cheap.  I buy the less expensive model at our hardware stores and they run $14 US.

In the US, most buttons are 1-1/8 inch which is 1.125, or in metric 28.575mm
Old pinball machines also use 1-1/8 inch buttons.

It might be cheaper to buy all the same size buttons rather than a bunch of bits?
I've ordered buttons from Ultimarc in the past and they were also 1-1/8in diameter.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 02:51:35 pm »
Progress.

ugleymatt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 12:13:37 pm
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »
Is this model bit ok? I havent received the buttons yet but read they are 24mm holes. Joystick hole has to be smaller ofc. Do you have a ready measurement plan for 2 player setup? I can ofc decide my own placement, have some plans allready.
Im still thinking about flipper (pinball)  buttons too to the sides but have to be sure not to make any mistakes with the hole drilling...

You one stop shop for button layouts

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
Thx.

I may have a problem. The control board is 15mm thick. Can i use it directly with buttons. Read in some post that the board can be max 9mm thick??

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2017, 02:40:19 am »
Depends on your buttons.

If you have threaded buttons like the 28mm happs no problem.
But if they are clip in style it will prob be to thick.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2017, 05:52:38 am »
Depends on your buttons.

If you have threaded buttons like the 28mm happs no problem.
But if they are clip in style it will prob be to thick.

Thx, i hope the buttons and joystick arrive soon. Not a big issue to get 9mm material for panel. I think they are not a clip in style, well see :D.

I got myself a second hand old quality pillar type drilling machine to my garage workshop, have to test it a bit before making the holes to the actual panel.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:06:19 am by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 10:01:56 am »
Testing display and hdmi-dvi adapter that arrived today from Alixpress. Seems to work fine!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:05:04 am by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
Having difficulties with N64 and SNES games, have them in right folder on mem stick but can only see sega metadrive, mame and atari games. Snes and N64 dont show? Any ideas.

Still waiting for controls, switches and ledstrips to progress, but tried to make a marque, its plexiglass but a bit high, cant get woodbar to fit under it. Ideas? Can make one thats not this high, had a sticker ready for this size so tried it first.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 03:42:36 pm »
Regarding roms are they the right file format?

1500points

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 04:17:35 pm »
SNES should be easy and the complete sets you'll find at the various sites online work fine.

N64 is just a bugger all the way around, real PITA.  I ended up getting Mario 64, Mario Kart and a racing game going but it was a LOT of effort and research.  Then the image got jacked, so I'm not sure I could easily retrace those steps.
Might be easier to just buy a cheap N64 console.  Thankfully they are still very reasonably priced.  shhhhh

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2017, 04:53:02 am »
Regarding roms are they the right file format?

yes, sfc and smc and in snes folder on memorystick.

Weird!