Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rotary joysticks with rapsberry pi3  (Read 2522 times)

Mr_Fredricksen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2017, 12:36:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rotary joysticks with rapsberry pi3
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:05 am »
Hi everyone,

I have been a big fan of arcade games my whole life and just recently decided to start my own project building a full size cabinet, based on a rasperry pi3 System. The game I spent all my allowance on back in the days, was caliber 50 and therefore I have to have it on that System. I am fairly new to all the technical terms but am not a complete newby when it comes to computers.

Anyway, caliber 50 used a rotary joystick and acording to my research was one of the only games using an optical encoder attached to the stick. So I researched Rotary Joysticks a little and found the HAPP optical Rotary Joystick being the perfect match for what I need. I read in a nother topic in this forum that the optical Rotary sticks are basically acting like a mouse on a computer. The stick rotates without any boundaries as in comparison to a mechanical Rotary, where every Position snaps into place. I remember when playing it in the arcade, the joystick clicking in place when rotating it, thus I am a little confused, which Joystick was really used on the original arcade systems.

Does anyone in here have any experince with that type joystick in combination with a rasperry pi3 and caliber 50 in particular?

Any input is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
Re: Rotary joysticks with rapsberry pi3
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:43 am »
Not familiar with the game or that style of stick.

BUT if it uses mouse inputs and you are going to use Rasbperry Pi, you'll want to use an Advance MAME like advmame1.4 and you'll configure the mouse inputs in a config file like explained here- https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2836/turbotwist-2-spinner-for-retropie/14

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: Rotary joysticks with rapsberry pi3
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 03:51:53 pm »
Every rotary game I played in the arcade had snappy rotary positions, so I'm thinking mechanical.  The optical rotary sticks that are available now are that way simply because they are cheaper to manufacture and honestly probably last longer and more reliably.