Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CBO's cabinet conversion  (Read 9830 times)

Crashburnoveride

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2017, 06:08:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: CBO's arcade build
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:17 pm »
Is this how you wire these with the zero delay encoder? Is there no ground wire that connects everything? Also hiw should I mount the encoder board? Put little washers behind it or can all the pokey solder points just rest on the wood?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:02:01 pm by Crashburnoveride »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:28:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 02:03:18 am »
Is this how you wire these with the zero delay encoder? Is there no ground wire that connects everything?
That switch is wired correctly.

One wire on the Common (COM) tab, the other on the Normally Open (NO) tab, and nothing on the Normally Closed (NC) tab.

The ZD encoder is an "active high" device -- apply 5v to an input to trigger the related output.

If you look at the underside of the ZD PCB, all the wires/traces on the outside are tied together so that's the 5v "daisy-chain" and the inner wires connect to the inputs.

Also hiw should I mount the encoder board? Put little washers behind it or can all the pokey solder points just rest on the wood?
As long as the surface you're mounting the encoder on is non-conductive (i.e. wood, not metal), it will be fine.

Scott

Crashburnoveride

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
Awesome thanks. I will wire it all up tonight!  :cheers:

Crashburnoveride

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »
All wired up!!

Testing a few roms in mame.

Getting error messages like this with about 50% of the roms i download and have no clue how to fix it so i just delete them.

Wife and brother in law testing some games.

So I tried setting up mala, but for some idiotic reason the download doesnt include all necessary files. What garbage is this? So I'm going to try maximus when i get home today. Its only $9.99 why not? Obviously still need glass and cosmetic work, but it was fun to get it operational!! Im sure I'll be tweaking this thing for a long time.

Crashburnoveride

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2017, 09:32:29 am »
I have ordered a new piece of tempered glass and am waiting on that. I wanted glass so i could paint the back side black around the monitor, and be able to scrape it off with a razor blade if I went with a larger display later on.

I downloaded maximus and even tho its stupid easy to setup it isnt working for my mame emulator.  I selected the exe file, but it says artwork cannot be located. It found my sega emulator but i had difficulty mapping controls and couldn't play a game, but it did load the game.

Another thing I did yesterday was extend and replace the computer power button with an arcade button placed up on the top of the machine.

I used some of the cabinets old wiring to give me a quick disconnect option for when I need to pull the tower out to work on. So far I can handle all the wiring and physical aspects of the arcade but software is frustrating me. :timebomb:

Any ideas on how to get mame to work in maximus?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:11:47 am by Crashburnoveride »

Crashburnoveride

• Offline Offline
Re: CBO's cabinet conversion
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2017, 09:42:35 am »
Little update. I installed a new 18" marquee light.

Got new bolts for the doors and those are on now. Also bought new front leg leveler bolts and shoved a rubber cap on them.

I just cant see myself spending hundreds on a full art kit so I might just give it some fresh paint and buy cheaper multicade side art. Not as fancy for sure but better than nothing. I need new T molding in places too.

As far as mame in maximus a google search informed me the .xml file in mame needs to be edited in newer mame versions. All verbage of "machine" needs to change to "game" and then it works. So I got mame going.  ;D maximus takes forever to boot up tho. Playing snes roms made me realize i need more buttons for menu navigation. So i have some more black happs coming in for dedicated quarter bittons located near the coin door. I can't wait for my glass to come in so it will look legit!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:31:01 pm by Crashburnoveride »

Crashburnoveride

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 10:51:10 am »
I picked up the glass from my local shop. Its a peefect fit and only cost $40. Got to painting it.

So I gave up on maximus because it was slow and didnt support mame well at all. I tried attract mode and wow! Easy to setup, free, looks good, and functions well! If only I had just started there! I'm rocking the original theme, but am definitely excited to read up and try a new theme. Here it is with glass installed and you can see the KI marquee I bought.

So idk what the deal is with my windows xp, but internet explorer sucks, and won't let me download google chrome. It wont even load google.com and blocks my favorite ROMsite. Seriously? So for every rom I have to download it on my laptop and transfer it to the arcade pc via usb storage device.  Very annoying but it works. So instead of pulling back the machine to plug in the stick to the pc I bought this:

I will install it somewhere inconspicuous on the cabinet and will just make things easier. Plus I guess you could play the arcade wearing headphones if for some reason that was needed. Added bonus. Still workin on it but dang that glass helps a lot!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:13:04 pm by PL1 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 11:03:00 am »
Setup the cab on a wireless network. You can easily transfer files. With remote access software you can work on you software from your couch.