Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unconventional cabinet designs?  (Read 3732 times)

WoadWarrior

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2020, 09:47:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Unconventional cabinet designs?
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:30:15 pm »
So I've been thinking about doing some arts and crafts projects, and one thing that I thought about was making arcade cabinets. Because hey, I grew up going to arcades and I think nothing will truly match the feel of being in a dark arcade back in the 80s to early 90s, when indoor smoking was still allowed and multiplayer meant someone standing next to you. There are only two fully functional arcade that I know of in my city, but only one has classic, non-gimmicky arcade cabinets.

But this got me thinking, especially about unconventional or non-standard cabinet designs. Boxing cabinets like the 1987 Heavyweight Champ cabinet that you used two grip paddles to simulate punching (and moved them left and right to dodge) and even had a working bell that rang to signify the start of a match. Other ideas that weren't quite as big as Heavyweight Champ were simpler, but just as cool ideas as Q-Bert's knocker. You know when you fell off the cubes in the game, Q-Bert would go 'whoooaaa' as fell to the bottom, but the original Q-Bert arcade cabinets had a cool feature... a knocker that knocked the bottom of the cabinet when Q-Bert hit bottom, making it look like Q-Bert was a real character who actually fell.

Since I don't like doing simple stuff, I was thinking... how would you make such things? Especially when you're talking about emulation and you don't have the original ROMs or boards? I think homemade cabinets are pretty dope and I'd like to make one some day, even if it's just to show off and give away (or sell, at a reasonable price). What needs to go into this to make such a thing work?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:19 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Unconventional cabinet designs?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »
What needs to go into this to make such a thing work?

simply?

an idea and the knowledge/ability to make it work.

not so simply?

i'm not sure what you are asking, but really you just have to come up with an idea, and just start running with it. work out what needs to happen...design what needs to move....troubleshoot as necessary...Program what you need to if that's what you need.

WoadWarrior

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:42 pm »
What needs to go into this to make such a thing work?

simply?

an idea and the knowledge/ability to make it work.

not so simply?

i'm not sure what you are asking, but really you just have to come up with an idea, and just start running with it. work out what needs to happen...design what needs to move....troubleshoot as necessary...Program what you need to if that's what you need.

OK, so let's say I want to make a replica of this:

How different would that be from conventional arcade machines?

Edit:

Also this is what I mean by some weird features, like the Q-Bert knocker:

Any guides on making that work? Remember, I'm a total beginner when it comes to wiring things. I've actually never done that before and just starting to read about it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:22:17 pm by WoadWarrior »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:55 pm »
I remember that game! Games like that, your better off seeking a used one online and traveling to pick it up. There is arcade collectors world wide Facebook page that would be a good place to start. Most people here replicate games with buttons, joysticks, and trackballs. People struggle with things like Star Wars yokes that break, never mind starting from scratch.

WoadWarrior

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
I remember that game! Games like that, your better off seeking a used one online and traveling to pick it up. There is arcade collectors world wide Facebook page that would be a good place to start. Most people here replicate games with buttons, joysticks, and trackballs. People struggle with things like Star Wars yokes that break, never mind starting from scratch.

I know I haven't even built my first real cardboard, non-electronic game yet (I want to build this: for my nephew and nieces), but I'm a masocist... I want to try to be the first, even if it means learning a whole bunch of new skills. I don't know how long it'll take before I even begin learning the requirements, but I'll try eventually.

But seriously. Any clues on where to start? There are guides aplenty for buttons and joysticks and trackballs, and they're really, really cool, but I want to make something different.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:41 pm »
I have like 19 cabinets now, and most of them are the ones with specialty controls. You just can't emulate them correctly.

Check out my Q*Beret to see how you can use a Jrok board and a knocker.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:36:40 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:07 pm »
OK, so let's say I want to make a replica of this:

How different would that be from conventional arcade machines?
If a conventional arcade machine is the engineering equivalent of a '55 Chevy, then that cab is the engineering equivalent of a Boeing 707.

Looks like at least 5 analog axes (1 for monitor turn, 2 for each control handle) with some sort of complex control linkage for the control handles.

Unless you have some serious mechanical build skills, you probably won't succeed at making controls that work/feel right and that survive sprited game play.

Also this is what I mean by some weird features, like the Q-Bert knocker:

Any guides on making that work? Remember, I'm a total beginner when it comes to wiring things. I've actually never done that before and just starting to read about it.
Just put "knocker" in the search function at the top of the page -- you'll get lots of useful hits.

Howard Casto's mamehooker is your friend.   ;D

Scott

WoadWarrior

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 11:47:51 pm »
I have like 19 cabinets now, and most of them are the ones with specialty controls. You just can't emulate them correctly.

Check out my Q*Beret to see how you can use a Jrok board and a knocker.

Show me. :)

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 03:11:58 am »
deep down ... I am glad I am not a mod.

deeper down. Good luck. Keep working and maybe your arts and crafts dream will come true.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 03:33:07 am »
Why don't you make a cloud arcade cabinet.  It would be in context of today, and relate to dreaming of the past when arcade gaming was the height of technology..  Since arcade gaming can be cloud based, it has some irony too.

You can suspend it from the ceiling.

The sky is your limit.   :duckhunt
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 03:37:55 am »
I applaud your enthusiasm!
But I agree with scott that to build a control layout for something like that would be a feat of engineering to behold!

I think the first thing you want to do is set your self a achievable target.

Building a Q*bert with a knocker is fairly straight forward.

But realistically building a cab like the boxing one is a non starter.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:40:25 am »
Why don't you make a cloud arcade cabinet.  It would be in context of today, and relate to dreaming of the past when arcade gaming was the height of technology..  Since arcade gaming can be cloud based, it has some irony too.

You can suspend it from the ceiling.

The sky is your limit.   :duckhunt

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 03:56:54 am »
He looks like a colleague from work.  He's currently walking on water in Florida right now.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 06:17:20 am »
Dudes got skills LOL