Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joining frame together.. questions  (Read 4031 times)

WetpantsMcGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2019, 03:44:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Joining frame together.. questions
« on: September 08, 2017, 05:52:58 pm »
Hey guys,

Currently underway with my first cabinet build.  I've got the sides ready to go, now I need to frame up the bottom/top/back pieces and get them together.  I want to use something stronger than wood screws, what do you guys suggest?  I want this thing to be pretty solid.

Thanks!

-WetpantsMcGee (Dan)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Joining frame together.. questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 06:00:13 pm »
PL premium 3x.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_prem/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm

don't opt for the extra strength 8x or whatever... it's too thick.

the screws basically just hold it together until the PL dries. you'll wreck it trying to break it apart.

apply bead towards the inside of the cabinet so you don't get any squeeze out. wipe up any mess right away cause once it's dry, the only way to get rid of it is to cut/scrape it off.

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:57:26 pm »
PL premium 3x.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_prem/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm

don't opt for the extra strength 8x or whatever... it's too thick.

the screws basically just hold it together until the PL dries. you'll wreck it trying to break it apart.

apply bead towards the inside of the cabinet so you don't get any squeeze out. wipe up any mess right away cause once it's dry, the only way to get rid of it is to cut/scrape it off.

Thanks!  I'll go grab a tube.  I better hurry though, my local Home Depot only has 204 in stock.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 09:51:20 pm »
I better hurry though, my local Home Depot only has 204 in stock.

Of course, that's because when I need 20 tubes of landscape block adhesive, they have 12 tubes...spread over 4 stores.

:cheers:

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 12:30:37 pm »
I better hurry though, my local Home Depot only has 204 in stock.

Of course, that's because when I need 20 tubes of landscape block adhesive, they have 12 tubes...spread over 4 stores.

:cheers:

:lol That's usually how it works; guess I got lucky.

Is it better to use when I screw the pieces in, or can I just run it along the seam after I've put stuff together?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »
before for sure... right on the inside edge. you aren't worried about sealing stuff in or out of the cabinet (which is all a bead would do) you want it to glue the pieces together. the glue does the holding.

I make cocktail cabinets for sale locally, and PL and a staple gun is all I use. the staples basically hold things together while the PL dries. in all honesty, you could just clamp it and not even nail, staple, screw or whatever and it would still be just as strong.

i use the PL to glue 3/4"x3/4"x8" wood battens on the edge of one of the pieces. (staple them down) and then let them set up... then attach whatever to that piece stapling through the battens in the other direction... nothing from the outside is visible. When I first started out, I screwed them down after gluing them with PL and found it not really necessary.