Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AC Voltage question - from transformer to power supply  (Read 1446 times)

Alaska

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2023, 05:08:15 pm
  • Fight inflation not farmers
AC Voltage question - from transformer to power supply
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:33:25 pm »
I started a thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155217.0.html with a question on what type of light to use for a marquee. I have a florescent bulb currently in my cabinet and need to run power to it so that when I turn the cabinet on, the bulb comes on. There are three leads running from the transformer that previously powered the PCB power supply. I tested the voltage with the cab on and this is what I got.
1 - ? - checked 1+2 and got 68V checked 1+3 and got 134V
2 - 100% ground
3 - ? - checked 3+2 and got 74V

Am I able to utilize these leads to run a florescent bulb, and how would you go about wiring the light?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: AC Voltage question - from transformer to power supply
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:59:43 pm »
do you even have a monitor in the cabinet the requires the use of an isolation transformer?? (regulated supply like K7000 etc) if you have a modern LCD monitor or a newer CRT with a switchmode power supply, you don't even need the transformer. the power supply your cabinet has in your photos is switchmode and does not require a transformer... neither will your fluorescent fixture.

worst case, tap the power after the switch...but before the isolation transformer and just run your monitor off the iso and everything else on the power before the iso. that way everything turns on at the same time.

Alaska

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2023, 05:08:15 pm
  • Fight inflation not farmers
Re: AC Voltage question - from transformer to power supply
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »
do you even have a monitor in the cabinet the requires the use of an isolation transformer?? (regulated supply like K7000 etc) if you have a modern LCD monitor or a newer CRT with a switchmode power supply, you don't even need the transformer. the power supply your cabinet has in your photos is switchmode and does not require a transformer... neither will your fluorescent fixture.

worst case, tap the power after the switch...but before the isolation transformer and just run your monitor off the iso and everything else on the power before the iso. that way everything turns on at the same time.

The monitor in my cabinet is an old WG K7000 manufactured by Zenith with a funky fly back. There is a warning on the chassis that an iso transformer must be used.

What I ended up just doing is tying the two hot wires into the neutral and hot leads on the flourescent fixture, and the ground to ground. I turned on the monitor and sure enough the light comes on and works too. After leaving them on for awhile I checked the leads running to the light and the iso transformer... no noticeable issues or excess heat... I mounted a fire extinguisher next to the cab just in case, but it looks like things are dialed.