Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac man sound issues  (Read 119 times)

orion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
Pac man sound issues
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
My Pac man developed a sound issue this morning and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. It is only producing a hiss at the moment and rather strange thump thump sounds when PAC man eats a dot. I replaced the proms at 1m and 3m but that had no affect. I know I can try to replace 2L, 2k and possibly 1L. I should probably start by reflowing the solder at all these pins, first.  However before I break out the soldering iron and waste a bunch of time on this, I was wondering if anyone might have an ideas.
Thank you

orion

• Offline Offline
Re: Pac man sound issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »
Also I have a second complete PAC man board that one day decided to show no signs of life at all. If anyone knows of a a repair service or a trustworthy person that does repairs, I would be willing to trade one of the boards for the repair of one of them.

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »
Have you checked the Board Edge Connector for burned wires?

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:17:57 pm »
Assuming you've already checked the voltage   Try replacing the caps in the sound section near the amp. The amp would be the next candidate.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 05:50:42 pm »
Have you checked the Board Edge Connector for burned wires?

Not lately, but I replaced it a few years back. Replaced one of the fuse holders but not both, and I've always had the hiss with the slight hum, which would probably go away if I replace the other fuse holder.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »
Assuming you've already checked the voltage   Try replacing the caps in the sound section near the amp. The amp would be the next candidate.

Good idea, I don't have fresh caps on hand for the job, but I might try the replacing the amp. It's also possible I suppose that the speaker has completely rotted. Might try swapping that as well. Too bad the wiring for audio on my Galaxian is different. I can swap boards in the cabinets to verify monitor/power supply wiring isssues, but not sound..

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:21 am »

Would those caps be found in a pac man cap kit, or will I have to try and source caps that aren't included?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31