Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pac man sound issues  (Read 2953 times)

orion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
Pac man sound issues
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
My Pac man developed a sound issue this morning and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. It is only producing a hiss at the moment and rather strange thump thump sounds when PAC man eats a dot. I replaced the proms at 1m and 3m but that had no affect. I know I can try to replace 2L, 2k and possibly 1L. I should probably start by reflowing the solder at all these pins, first.  However before I break out the soldering iron and waste a bunch of time on this, I was wondering if anyone might have an ideas.
Thank you

orion

• Offline Offline
Re: Pac man sound issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »
Also I have a second complete PAC man board that one day decided to show no signs of life at all. If anyone knows of a a repair service or a trustworthy person that does repairs, I would be willing to trade one of the boards for the repair of one of them.

smartbomb2084

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »
Have you checked the Board Edge Connector for burned wires?

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:17:57 pm »
Assuming you've already checked the voltage   Try replacing the caps in the sound section near the amp. The amp would be the next candidate.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 05:50:42 pm »
Have you checked the Board Edge Connector for burned wires?

Not lately, but I replaced it a few years back. Replaced one of the fuse holders but not both, and I've always had the hiss with the slight hum, which would probably go away if I replace the other fuse holder.

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »
Assuming you've already checked the voltage   Try replacing the caps in the sound section near the amp. The amp would be the next candidate.

Good idea, I don't have fresh caps on hand for the job, but I might try the replacing the amp. It's also possible I suppose that the speaker has completely rotted. Might try swapping that as well. Too bad the wiring for audio on my Galaxian is different. I can swap boards in the cabinets to verify monitor/power supply wiring isssues, but not sound..

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:21 am »

Would those caps be found in a pac man cap kit, or will I have to try and source caps that aren't included?

orion

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:37 am »
Well, turns out I was correct in that it was an issue with one of the sound rams, that I mentioned earlier. I'm not really set up to do a lot of soldering work, nor do I have a ton of experience with board repair beyond cap kits and replacing soceted chips. I also had a second board that was completely dead as well as a 6 pac multi kit that got damaged during a move. I wound up sending all my broken pac man boards to Slava (the guy who makes the high score save kit) and he fixed all three of them for me at an extremely reasonable price and had them back to me repaired in less than two days! I can't say enough good things about this guy.