Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: hoping to go beyond mame games...  (Read 2193 times)

signdude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2018, 08:52:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
hoping to go beyond mame games...
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:34:05 pm »
hello fellow gamers,

i have finally finished my mame cabinet and been loving it thanks to the help of a lot of nice folks on here that shared their knowledge and guidance THANKS!!! :cheers:...
now i wanted to go step further and add a couple of walk around shooter games that me 13 year old son would like. can anyone possibly recommend a couple of these type games that would work on an arcade style control panel. i know thats not an easy thing to ask for from reading other posts on here. possibly Steam or other?
here is a pic of my control panel (2 player setup with a Defender setup in the middle)

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Re: hoping to go beyond mame games...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:06:17 pm »
my son and I played zombie revenge for ever, going to need jamma or dreamcast though :banghead:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

signdude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2018, 08:52:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »
thanks Rack... i will see about downloading dreamcast and give that one a try it looks good from a video i saw of it on you tube....
does anyone else know of any?
thanks again

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:30:48 am »
You won't ever be happy with the results, those games want a mouse and keyboard, even the console ports want dual analog controls. You don't have those, those games were not designed for arcade controls.

hello fellow gamers,

i have finally finished my mame cabinet and been loving it thanks to the help of a lot of nice folks on here that shared their knowledge and guidance THANKS!!! :cheers:...
now i wanted to go step further and add a couple of walk around shooter games that me 13 year old son would like. can anyone possibly recommend a couple of these type games that would work on an arcade style control panel. i know thats not an easy thing to ask for from reading other posts on here. possibly Steam or other?
here is a pic of my control panel (2 player setup with a Defender setup in the middle)
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:36:17 am »
Like Paige said FPS games do not lend themselves well to arcade controls.

The only ones that would kind of work are ones that dont require a mouse like the original DOOM or Quake.

But even they wont quite feel right.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:07:01 am »

The only ones that would kind of work are ones that dont require a mouse like the original DOOM or Quake.

There was one spot in doom or was it duke 3D ? where you had to run and jump. My father and I couldn't do it with a mouse. Picking up and slapping the mouse furiously. Got a trackball from my uncle. Couldn't do it. Went out to comp usa and bought a joystick. Did it first shot. I still remember what that spot looks like. Lol

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »

There was one spot in doom or was it duke 3D ? where you had to run and jump. My father and I couldn't do it with a mouse. Picking up and slapping the mouse furiously. Got a trackball from my uncle. Couldn't do it. Went out to comp usa and bought a joystick. Did it first shot. I still remember what that spot looks like. Lol

I think that was kind of an 'L' shaped hallway that was filled with acid goo.  Platforms started dropping as you jumped on them.  HATED that area with a passion.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:35:08 am »
Get postal.  You kid will love it.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:18:04 am »
 Postal 2 was better but defo not joystick friendly!!