Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have or working on a Tron cab? Need help  (Read 7109 times)

ButtonMasher2099

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2017, 12:36:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Anyone have or working on a Tron cab? Need help
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:41 pm »
I have a project I'm about to start on for a family member who is a huge fan of the original Tron cab, and as far as I know they don't know that I'm planning to build one for them and want it to be a surprise. While I don't plan on it being an exact replica, I need somewhere to start from. I've been having a hard time finding any info on measurements on this cab, so if any of you guys are working on one or know some of the measurements id be grateful. I'm primarily looking for exact measurements of the side panels and CP, angle of monitor...that would probably be enough to get me started. If someone had the dimensions for the shroud that would be huge but I'm sure that's asking a lot. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this but figured restorations would be the best place to find people who might know some of this. Thanks

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
Re: Anyone have or working on a Tron cab? Need help
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
http://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/tron.html

I've run into that in my search, but there isn't any info on actual measurements which is what I need. The other attachments there are for plotters or cnc which I don't own. I've found a site (http://tech.quarterarcade.com/tech/game.aspx?g=3188) that just has a general height width depth measurement which is helpful for the side panels but it doesn't tell me anything else.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:04:27 pm by ButtonMasher2099 »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:03:06 am »
    Although have never built that cab, I have restored a couple... And here to tell you that's going to be one ugly project and not going to be a secret for very long, The control panel (IMO) would be a good place to start, and that's not even a given beings the Disk of Tron was kinda the same but not so just beware of what parts/plans you are sourcing, any hardcore fan will know the difference if you try putting some phony stick in there.... Good luck friend.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:16:29 am »
The link Titch gave you has exactly what you need. Open the dxf files.

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 12:58:48 pm »
Ok I'll try looking at that again when I get home from work. I did try opening that file the first time around and had issues with viewing the file, but I may have missed something or done something wrong. Thanks

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:12 pm »

Ok the dxf files require cad software to open it properly which I don't have and don't use that type of equipment. I did open it in a word file just to see if maybe I could get something from it but just looks like a program for some software I'm completely unfamiliar with. What exactly am I missing, or are you under the assumption that I'm using a machine to cut this out with?

I did start working figuring out the scale and actual size of each side of the side panels using the VCarve drawings (assuming it's a scale drawing) on the same page and the overall dimensions I found on the other website. Im attaching what I came up with and everything seemed to line up with the overall dimensions on quarterarcade but if anyone has a cab measure the height and let me know if its at least within an inch. The side panels and and the angles that the inside panels are mounted at is my main concern because I want to mostly use the same art thats on the original .The rest will fall into place when I figure out the size of the control panel, which im still working on.

Edit:
I forgot to add that Im working out a shroud that is in the spirit of the original and need one to get templates off of, and since it would probably be asking a lot to ask someone to let my borrow theirs for a couple weeks I've been floating the idea of buying one and then selling it when Im done (maybe to someone on here?). I don't really have any idea what the value is on something like that and dont want to get ripped off, so my question is...whats reasonable? I know it's hard to come by so I don't expect it to be cheap, but there is one on ebay right now and thats the one I've been looking at if anyone wants to take a look.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:21:26 pm by ButtonMasher2099 »

scooterg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2018, 12:58:16 am
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:32:41 pm »

Ok the dxf files require cad software to open it properly which I don't have and don't use that type of equipment. I did open it in a word file just to see if maybe I could get something from it but just looks like a program for some software I'm completely unfamiliar with. What exactly am I missing, or are you under the assumption that I'm using a machine to cut this out with?

I did start working figuring out the scale and actual size of each side of the side panels using the VCarve drawings (assuming it's a scale drawing) on the same page and the overall dimensions I found on the other website. Im attaching what I came up with and everything seemed to line up with the overall dimensions on quarterarcade but if anyone has a cab measure the height and let me know if its at least within an inch. The side panels and and the angles that the inside panels are mounted at is my main concern because I want to mostly use the same art thats on the original .The rest will fall into place when I figure out the size of the control panel, which im still working on.

Edit:
I forgot to add that Im working out a shroud that is in the spirit of the original and need one to get templates off of, and since it would probably be asking a lot to ask someone to let my borrow theirs for a couple weeks I've been floating the idea of buying one and then selling it when Im done (maybe to someone on here?). I don't really have any idea what the value is on something like that and dont want to get ripped off, so my question is...whats reasonable? I know it's hard to come by so I don't expect it to be cheap, but there is one on ebay right now and thats the one I've been looking at if anyone wants to take a look.

Download Sketchup: (https://www.sketchup.com/download)

You don't have to buy the pro version, and for the first 30days you can import and export dxf files.  So import that dxf file as soon as you get it installed.
Once you have it imported you might want to take a couple of hours to familiarize yourself with the Sketchup basics: (https://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/841)

You basically will just need to you the tape measure tool to get the measurements you want.

Alternatively once you import it you could then export it to a PDF to scale and print it at a local Kinkos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooterg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 03:34:04 pm »
Also I have done a lot of research on the Tron stick and spinner, as I am building one myself.  So if I can help there let me know.

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 02:48:18 pm »
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I've actually already figured out most of the measurements from measuring the print they had on there though.

As far as the spinner goes, I'm going to use the one from ultimarc.

scooterg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:34:11 am »
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out. I've actually already figured out most of the measurements from measuring the print they had on there though.

Good spinner, but one thing to note is if your friend has any interest in Discs of Tron as well as Tron, then they would be missing a key feature.
Discs of Tron had a "push/pull" function which was required to switch the aiming curser up or down to throw discs at the opponent.  With the Ultimarc you won't be able to do that.

If this matters to your friend then I would recommend looking at the Groovy Game Gear Turbo Twist High-Low push pull spinner.  I own it and can tell you it's very well made:  (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=311)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 10:52:22 am »

Good spinner, but one thing to note is if your friend has any interest in Discs of Tron as well as Tron, then they would be missing a key feature.
Discs of Tron had a "push/pull" function which was required to switch the aiming curser up or down to throw discs at the opponent.  With the Ultimarc you won't be able to do that.

If this matters to your friend then I would recommend looking at the Groovy Game Gear Turbo Twist High-Low push pull spinner.  I own it and can tell you it's very well made:  (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=311)

Perhaps....But I do believe Tron used a 4/way stick restrictor , and DOT used a 8/way so it probably would be easier to build one OR the other.

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »

Perhaps....But I do believe Tron used a 4/way stick restrictor , and DOT used a 8/way so it probably would be easier to build one OR the other.

Well crap, I've already ordered the spinner. Is there a work around using buttons or something else or will that game be unplayable without it? I don't know if that's an important game to be able to play or not for him at the moment.

Unless I can find an original I'll be getting a hd stick from Happ, I'm aware that it will have to be converted to 4-way. Already bought a reproduction handle for it but haven't ordered the joystick yet.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 05:33:26 pm »
Discs of Tron had a "push/pull" function which was required to switch the aiming curser up or down to throw discs at the opponent.
Is there a work around using buttons or something else or will that game be unplayable without it?
Here's one option to consider.
The 2-switch rocker pedal here can be connected using a stereo audio jack  (or similar) to wire the pedal switches in parallel with two buttons.   ;D

Works great for the high/low function in Discs of Tron.
Also works great for racing games that use microswitch pedals.

For high/low turn the pedal so the cable is in the back.

For gas/brake turn the pedal so the cable is on the left.   ;D

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »
    It would be deeper than that....Tron used a semi rigid 4/way restrictor, and I do believe (don't quote Jenn here) the original hardware by design eliminated 8/way play, with the possible exception of the stair stepping urban legend of the light cycles, that was possible to force a 8way move. DOT, on the other hand used a 8/way, It could be MAME  hacked the life out of that but that's how it was..... But if we are going to toss some ideas around, a heavy duty  cab inspired pedestal hooked up to a massive wall mounted screen would be fun. 8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:04:47 pm by jennifer »

scooterg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 06:19:30 pm »

Jennifer is correct that Tron did have a 4 way restrictor, it was mostly designed for the bike and tank battles.  However you could reach the diagonals and it actually was helpful when you play as Tron to move around when throwing the discs at the spiders/MCP.

Discs of Tron had an 8/way is also true, however in my opinion when using the 4way restrictor which I have on my Tron stick, it is of little restriction when playing Discs of Tron.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could attach an Ultimarc 360 PCB to the bottom of the Tron stick and use that as four-way and eight way restriction: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76052.0

Be ready to pay though the stick gets expensive:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/joysticks/50-9975-00
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=319
http://arcadefixit.com/product.sc;jsessionid=5A6771E4F18C63BC08770ECA438CDDE2.p3plqscsfapp005?productId=2384&categoryId=51
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91&products_id=320

As for the deflect button, well, good luck, haven't found a good copy yet....

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:45 pm »
    It should be noted that I only deal with OEM,  scooterg seems to have hit on a sweet spot combo as far as multigames go, and in a comprehensive format. (would love to see pics of that ;)) in light of that the push/pull spinner would be the best option (IMO), If you choose that direction....However Tron in itself is a hard, fast game, and well executed even as a stand alone would be a nice addition to any gameroom. (and you could still use your spinner) only the hardcore even know DOT ever even existed.

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
OEM would definately be ideal, but the reality is I almost never see those joysticks for sale and when I do (on eBay) they're either way overpriced or in terrible shape and still over priced. I'm hoping one will pop up soon which is why I haven't put in the order yet at suzo happ. I've been looking at them for a while and know about how pricey they are, and yea it's gonna sting the wallet a bit (hopefully shipping isn't dreadful, already seen stories about it). I have already ordered the grip though, figured I'd need that either way...but DOT was an afterthought and to be honest I've never played it in an arcade so I didn't even know about the push pull.

At the end of the day this arcade cabinet is going to be a Tron machine that just happens to be able to play other games instead of a MAME arcade that can also play Tron. It's really the driving force for him even wanting an Arcade cabinet, he just wanted it to be capable of playing other games as a bonus.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 08:17:06 pm »
    Odds of finding one on the E/pay are truly quite slim, and at best would be a high dollar feeding frenzy for Tron lunatics, that , the shroud, and the black light assembly.., Im not cutting down that Happ stick , seems quite reasonable and a good solid choice. The fact you started with the C/p, will be of benefit since you have the physical size when you try to match it up to the 80% accuracy of those plans you are using, and allow for minor changes....Again good luck, looking forward to seeing this project.

ButtonMasher2099

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:44 pm »
Thank you, I hope it turns out well. I plan to share progress soon in project announcements.

scooterg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:23 am »
By the way couldn't help but pass this along:

I did a lookup in the Sketchup warehouse, and someone built this within the software.  Not sure if the dimensions are all to the correct scale but it looks right....

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 10:58:15 am »
    You lost me with that.... Sketchup, that's like A/I right? How could one take this pic and get dimensions from it? It seems to have a catrtoon feel (and the C/p seems a bit off) cant seem put my finger on whats wrong offhand , Im not trying to be difficult just have no idea how to use that, and would be curious ....Jennifer does have a Tron somewhere in her big mess, and after restoring a couple would venture to guess the specs on that machine were not off by much from cab to cab given the complexity.

scooterg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 11:21:07 am »
    You lost me with that.... Sketchup, that's like A/I right? How could one take this pic and get dimensions from it? It seems to have a catrtoon feel (and the C/p seems a bit off) cant seem put my finger on whats wrong offhand , Im not trying to be difficult just have no idea how to use that, and would be curious ....Jennifer does have a Tron somewhere in her big mess, and after restoring a couple would venture to guess the specs on that machine were not off by much from cab to cab given the complexity.

Sketchup is a CAD (computer aided design) program that allows you to build things on your computer.  It's very powerful, you can even send your designs to be cut out by a CNC (computer numeric controlled) machine which is much more accurate then a person can be.

What someone did is build the Tron cab within the software.  If you use Sketchup and do a search within their virtual warehouse (kind of like using templates) you can find this design.  Once you have it imported you can use the "tape measure tool" and click and drag anywhere on the cab to pull down measurements.  It's very handy as you could measure anything.

So it's not just a picture but rather a 3D model of the cab.  I was spinning it around and zooming in to post those pics.  It's actually pretty fun.