Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I-PAC questions  (Read 2321 times)

Erzak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
I-PAC questions
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:28:48 am »
I am planning to outfit my 2-player CP with two UltraStik 360's, a U-Trak, a SpinTrak, and non-illuminated buttons (not sure exactly how many, but probably ~30 in total).

I have a little bit of confusion about which interface board would best suit my needs.  Both the Mini-PAC and the I-Pac2 look like they would be equivalent for my needs, provided that I connect the UltraStik 360's using USB.

I-PAC2:
Has 32 inputs and headers for spinner and trackball, can all 32 button inputs be used if these headers are being used?

Mini-PAC:
Has one connector for 32 inputs and one connector for trackball and spinner.  So can have 32 buttons/switches plus the trackball and spinner all at the same time?

It seems that the major difference is how things get wired up to the interface, with the I-PAC2 using I expect that I am missing something as far as screw-connectors, and the Mini-PAC has wire harnass connections.  Are there other significant differences between them, such as in the programming capability or ? 

Thanks,
Eric

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: I-PAC questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 02:41:54 am »
From Ultimarc Site, Switch/Joystick Functionality
The Mini-PAC works identically to I-PAC2 board. All programming features identical, same number of inputs (32). Works in PS/2 or USB mode.

The main difference is the connector type (Header vs screw terminal) and that the minipac comes with wiring harness, the Ipac 2 does not come with any.

For ease of use I would definitely go with the MiniPAC.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 03:09:59 am »
Why do you think you will have 30 buttons on a 2 player CP??

A regular 2p panel with 6 buttons each, coins and starts is only 16, 20 for 8 button layout.

So thats like 10 buttons for admin??

SpyhunterUK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2017, 05:20:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:25:18 am »
Get the iPac Ultimate and you can light your buttons as well :)

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 11:50:59 am »

A regular 2p panel with 6 buttons each, coins and starts is only 16, 20 for 8 button layout.

Modeling it after the old SlikStik panel, or similar to what Monster Arcades or NorthCoast sell now.  Going to use the 6+1 button for each player.  Also want buttons for pinball, so 2 flippers, 2 nudge, one plunger.  Power, player 1 & 2, credit, 1 or 2 near the spinner, 2 or 3 near the trackball.  May be overkill  :)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »
Just daisy chain the pinball buttons with buttons 1, 2, 3 and 4.  (As an example if you press button 1 on player 1 if would be the same as pressing the flipper button on the left side, etc).

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 01:06:53 pm »

Modeling it after the old SlikStik panel, or similar to what Monster Arcades or NorthCoast sell now.  Going to use the 6+1 button for each player.  Also want buttons for pinball, so 2 flippers, 2 nudge, one plunger.  Power, player 1 & 2, credit, 1 or 2 near the spinner, 2 or 3 near the trackball.  May be overkill  :)

Sounds confusing and messy!

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:30:03 pm »

Sounds confusing and messy!

Not really, IMO.  A friend has a SlikStik which I've played quite a bit.

Will end up looking something like this:
http://www.mameroom.com/webstore.asp?productid=CLASSICCONTROLLER&category=156

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 02:01:16 pm »

Without Pinball buttons there are 30 Buttons on that there panel,  That's a lot of buttons.  I think I have 18 Buttons total including the power and dedicated start/exit buttons for hyperspin :)

You would be using 28 inputs then.  It does sound a bit overkill but you are looking at 18 buttons total for player 1 & 2, 5 buttons for pinball, 3 for trackball, and 2 for spinner.  If you threw in a 4 way joystick with 3 buttons and a pause button there is all 32 used.  I think that the panel would look a bit busy though.  have you got a diagram/layout of what you are planning?

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 04:16:01 pm »
And from what I can tell, if I purchase the IPAC2, then the standard wires/headers for the Utrak and Spintrak will plug right into the interface?  If I get the MiniPAC, then have to purchase the wiring harness and that would connect up to the wires from the controls?

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 07:42:44 am »
I think I might have answered this by email but, yes the MinPAC has a pre-made harness for the controls and a second one for trackball/spinner. The board can be ordered with one, both, or no harnesses by selecting in the store.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 11:32:14 am »
I think I might have answered this by email but, yes the MinPAC has a pre-made harness for the controls and a second one for trackball/spinner. The board can be ordered with one, both, or no harnesses by selecting in the store.

Thanks again for clarifying things for me!

Eric