Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Alternative Artwork or Not  (Read 3715 times)

processedmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:19:39 pm
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
Donkey Kong Alternative Artwork or Not
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »
Hi all, I'm building a DK bartop for a silent auction for my non-profit's fundraising gala.  I was wondering if I can get some opinions regarding the classic DK artwork.  Do you think the potential bidders (mainly non-arcade types) would find the classic artwork a little too "Un-PC" or am I thinking too might into this?  I really want to make sure that I can get the highest bids for it and not scare anyone away.

BTW For reference, I built a Pac Man one a few years ago and I was able to raise $800 for it.  Here's my non-profit's website www.pomonahope.org if you are wondering.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Donkey Kong Alternative Artwork or Not
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:32:41 pm »
You're thinking too much into it,  You will get the bids from those who have the most affection for this old classic and they will be more impressed with replica art than the subject matter.

Now if it was Konkey Dong on the side that would be a whole different ball game :)

Oh Best of Luck for the auction, hopefully you can get 1k for this one :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:51 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:53:31 pm »
Just put 300 dollars in the pot and call it a day. It will save you time and money.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:44 pm »
X2 for the Konky Dong art.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 07:38:51 am »
There is a beer out there called konkey dong.
it gets decent rating also.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:44 am »
Go for something that is aligned to the cabinet design. Since there never was any DK bartop originally you don't have to stick to the original art either (IMHO).
Here is how I did, that might be used as inspiration: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105790
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:29:29 am »
   If it fits the cab nice, Totally wouldn't worry about what people think, Few would even know it doesn't belong there, but still get the feel of owning a real arcade machine.... Most likely it would be a selling point.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:07:27 am »
It is a bartop, no one who would care would ever buy it, and don't get confused by the others who say it would be the feel of a real arcade machine. They feel like children's toys.

Full disclosure, I own 5 real, actual real bartops that are all original with CRT monitors, and not a one of them even makes me feel like arcade, more like slot machine. Once you swap that down to a 30 pound lcd unit that will go flying off the bar if your press hard it just becomes a toy. No one buying a toy cares if the sideart is authentic.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 07:04:21 am »
It is a bartop, no one who would care would ever buy it, and don't get confused by the others who say it would be the feel of a real arcade machine. They feel like children's toys.

Full disclosure, I own 5 real, actual real bartops that are all original with CRT monitors, and not a one of them even makes me feel like arcade, more like slot machine. Once you swap that down to a 30 pound lcd unit that will go flying off the bar if your press hard it just becomes a toy. No one buying a toy cares if the sideart is authentic.
Couldn't you replace the weight of the crt with lead plates or something, and then still have the weight, but use a lcd?.... Megatouch for example is heavy like death, for as small as it is.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 09:09:30 am »
Throw one of these on the back.

dgrams2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 06:00:04 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:44:05 pm »
Do you think the potential bidders (mainly non-arcade types) would find the classic artwork a little too "Un-PC"

What is the thought behind the classic artwork being 'Un-PC'?
I know the world is ultra sensitive to everything... but what is the concern with the artwork?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 04:19:41 pm »
Do you think the potential bidders (mainly non-arcade types) would find the classic artwork a little too "Un-PC"

I know the world is ultra sensitive to everything... but what is the concern with the artwork?

Wondering this also.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 04:39:57 pm »

Wondering this also.

Seems obvious to me...DK isn't wearing any pants.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 11:13:24 pm »

Couldn't you replace the weight of the crt with lead plates or something, and then still have the weight, but use a lcd?.... Megatouch for example is heavy like death, for as small as it is.

Yeah,  somehow Megatouch manages to pack 100 pounds into a package 1/10th the size of an upright game.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 11:19:18 pm »
Also, I doubt anyone in your nonprofit would ever OK that bartop being sold if they understood the entire story of what you were making. A small baggy of crack would literally leave them less liable than what you are trying to put on them.

I have never been able to understand the number of people willing to entirely destroy their favorite non-profit by selling or putting in a mame cabinet. Remember those charity Red Cross airport cabinets in Europe that the links still pop up to all the time? Apparently they were removed in days once those in charge found out they were all bootleg.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 11:57:54 pm »

Wondering this also.

Seems obvious to me...DK isn't wearing any pants.

but, kong in skull island didn't wear pants either, he carried that girl around.
i really don't see the difference other than size.