Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Will point blank 1 or 2 run in a point blank 3 cab?  (Read 1269 times)

safire25

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 12:44:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Will point blank 1 or 2 run in a point blank 3 cab?
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:06:48 am »
Hi guys

I have a Point blank 3 cab (Japanese cab Gumbalina)  Do you know if I can just swap this board out with a Point blank 1 or 2 and it will work fine including getting the guns to work? and if not what would I need to do to get this going?

Just that this game has mostly Japanese text and its really hard to find a point blank 3 USA board with 100% English throughout the game.

Thanks
 Steve

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:35:47 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Will point blank 1 or 2 run in a point blank 3 cab?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:28 am »
I highly doubt it. If I recall the Gunbalina is based off of custom "playstation" hardware. i'm not sure they had a jamma interface to connect to the cabinet like point blank 1/2 did. basically if it has jamma... it's pretty plug and play...

it's hard to tell hardware wise because around 1999 or 2000 when this came out, arcade manufacturers where transitioning away from custom boards and starting to use "off the shelf" hardware chips that were already developed and had codebase already written for them (playstation, dreamcast, etc) instead of rolling custom CPU's and boards.

optical guns of this design are pretty much interchangeable and all based off the same timing/switching circuit. the only thing that might be different is the plug on the end...but not a total deal breaker to change if need be.