Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ECS ION Motherboard Boot Error  (Read 20784 times)

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:01:02 pm
Re: ECS ION Motherboard Boot Error
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 08:04:40 pm »
billf1, Get a ASUS A7N8X-LA. Theres a few on ebay for less then $30 shipped and it even comes with a cpu. You can use the heatsink from the bad purple board. Im pretty sure you can use the cpu aswell, but usually there some crappy slow 600mhz amd geode. With the ASUS A7N8X you will get [FAILED] in red. This is a script trying to load a sensor for Winbond IO chip because it thinks the ASUS A7N8X is the ASUS K8N-VM which has a Winbond, but the ASUS A7N8X has a ITE. This error is not important, and can easily be changed to load the correct sensor if you know your way around linux. Otherwise, dont worry about it.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2014, 12:10:24 am »
billf1, Get a ASUS A7N8X-LA. Theres a few on ebay for less then $30 shipped and it even comes with a cpu. You can use the heatsink from the bad purple board. Im pretty sure you can use the cpu aswell, but usually there some crappy slow 600mhz amd geode. With the ASUS A7N8X you will get [FAILED] in red. This is a script trying to load a sensor for Winbond IO chip because it thinks the ASUS A7N8X is the ASUS K8N-VM which has a Winbond, but the ASUS A7N8X has a ITE. This error is not important, and can easily be changed to load the correct sensor if you know your way around linux. Otherwise, dont worry about it.

not like the software even keeps track of the temperatures and fan RPM's anyways...  :-\

wish they did though.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 02:15:40 pm »

not like the software even keeps track of the temperatures and fan RPM's anyways...  :-\

wish they did though.

Dont know if it logs them, but it does show the fan rpm's in the operator system info screen. I dont know if the purple mobo shows this in the system info screen, but all other mobo's ive used do.

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2022, 06:00:32 pm
  • Im surprised I haven't electrocuted myself yet.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2017, 09:53:50 am »
Hey guys! I just want to say thank you for all of the help this past weekend my purple mb of death went out on me and this forum has been my saving grace.

I had a quick question for you. I bought the Asus A7N8X-LA for my EVO and I notice someone mentioned they used the "gold Asus" board. By any chance do you have the model number? I have an EVO elite that also needs a new board as well. Or should I just buy another A7N8X? I wasnt sure if the gold board had less sound issues as the A7N8X.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2017, 02:36:26 pm »
either the asus or if you have a post 2009 software install, the D945GCLF or D945GCLF2 (first year implemented) it runs cooler and produces less heat overall.

either way, you are looking at doing some mods to get it in there.

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2017, 03:29:54 pm »
I dont mind doing a few mods to get everything to fit. I know I will have to do that with the Asus. My ION is a 2007 so it sounds like I will be sticking with the Asus A7N8X-LA which I dont mind, you cant beat 30 bucks.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2017, 04:20:39 pm »
I dont mind doing a few mods to get everything to fit. I know I will have to do that with the Asus. My ION is a 2007 so it sounds like I will be sticking with the Asus A7N8X-LA which I dont mind, you cant beat 30 bucks.

You wont find either of the other boards mentioned for $30 thats for sure. Good luck even finding the official ASUS board for less then $150. Stick with the A7N8X if you dont mind the extra work to get it to fit.

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2017, 07:16:48 pm »
I checked and the cheapest I could find was 150.00 Its still cheaper than the purple board of death. But id rather have something for 30 that will last. Thanks for all of the help.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »
I checked and the cheapest I could find was 150.00 Its still cheaper than the purple board of death. But id rather have something for 30 that will last. Thanks for all of the help.

You have to be careful with those listings. Stay the hell away from "untested" "Sold as is" I probably have 20+ purple and ASUS boards that have bad video that i can fix, but can no longer find the chips. These ebay scammers know this but prey on suckers thinking its an easy recap job.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2017, 10:43:36 pm »
I hate purple ECS boards with a passion. ECS can eat a fat...

But I digress.

The asus isn't much better, but at least the northbridge doesn't overheat and calf on them.

side note... any idea why the intel D945 boards die? i have like 3 that power on (fans and power light)... but don't POST. I have like 3 here all exact same symptom.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2017, 11:24:32 pm »
I hate purple ECS boards with a passion. ECS can eat a fat...

But I digress.

The asus isn't much better, but at least the northbridge doesn't overheat and calf on them.

side note... any idea why the intel D945 boards die? i have like 3 that power on (fans and power light)... but don't POST. I have like 3 here all exact same symptom.

Test SMT caps?

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »
Good news is the new motherboard came today! Bad news is i have something hooked up wrong. It powers down 3 seconds on boot. Back to the drawing board

Well fixed the boot issue but i still have the Dsub error. Now I have no idea
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:31:18 pm by jokerz4fun »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:32 pm »
Good news is the new motherboard came today! Bad news is i have something hooked up wrong. It powers down 3 seconds on boot. Back to the drawing board

Dsub is either bad vga cable or bad video chip.

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2017, 09:13:31 pm »

Dsub is either bad vga cable or bad video chip.

I changed mb,cables, hard drive, and cmos. I do have a spare screen i could try

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 07:53:01 pm »
I think I figured out my issue. This entire time of swapping out power supplies I never stopped to see the voltage or Watts. the original powersupply is 300 watts and the power supply I bought is only 230.  so I'm going to say that's my issue. the only bad thing is the 300 watt power supply run about $100.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 09:05:09 pm »
I think I figured out my issue. This entire time of swapping out power supplies I never stopped to see the voltage or Watts. the original powersupply is 300 watts and the power supply I bought is only 230.  so I'm going to say that's my issue. the only bad thing is the 300 watt power supply run about $100.

If its a new psu, 230w isnt your issue.  I have run Ion on  a good 125W. And don't pay $100 for a 300W I can sell you a Brand new 300W for $75 shipped with the special megatouch connectors built in.

jokerz4fun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 02:18:41 pm »
Thank you sir. I finally got it to boot without the dsub error but as i was putting everything back together it came back. So it has to be a bad cable. Just when ithink i have it figured out something else pops up