Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Legends 1 conversion questions  (Read 10111 times)

pinlink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2017, 02:09:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade Legends 1 conversion questions
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:44 am »
Have you done the simplest thing to the original computer yet which is to replace the cmos battery?

Yes, as I mentioned I have replaced the battery, and tested the power supply. Both are good. But it will not boot up in the Arcade Legends cab, or on my work table with monitor and ps2 keyboard hooked up to it. Can't even get into BIOS. A new hard drive is $150 and I don't even know if that is the issue. Could be the ram, the motherboard, etc. I just feel like at this point I should just spend the money on an old PC and a J-Pac i(f the J-Pac is even needed).

The plan at this point is to replace the AL computer with a new (old) PC and upload games to it and use the same control panel, cab, and monitor currently used for the AL. To do this I will buy a PC, hook it up in the same way the Arcade Legends computer is hooked up, power it on and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I will probably need a J-Pac board and then I should be good to go, correct? Thanks again for all of the help, fellas! 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
Have you done the simplest thing to the original computer yet which is to replace the cmos battery?

Yes, as I mentioned I have replaced the battery, and tested the power supply. Both are good. But it will not boot up in the Arcade Legends cab, or on my work table with monitor and ps2 keyboard hooked up to it. Can't even get into BIOS. A new hard drive is $150 and I don't even know if that is the issue. Could be the ram, the motherboard, etc. I just feel like at this point I should just spend the money on an old PC and a J-Pac i(f the J-Pac is even needed).

The plan at this point is to replace the AL computer with a new (old) PC and upload games to it and use the same control panel, cab, and monitor currently used for the AL. To do this I will buy a PC, hook it up in the same way the Arcade Legends computer is hooked up, power it on and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, I will probably need a J-Pac board and then I should be good to go, correct? Thanks again for all of the help, fellas!

did you try unplugging the power and holding in the power button for 20 secs to drain any power from the motherboard then hook it back up to see if it posts.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 11:55:30 am »

did you try unplugging the power and holding in the power button for 20 secs to drain any power from the motherboard then hook it back up to see if it posts.

No, I haven't tried that but I guess I will. Not sure what you mean exactly. Do you mean unplugging the plug from the power supply, then just flipping the power button on for 20 secs? It's just an off/on switch so a little confused by "holding in the power button". Really don't expect this to change anything, but I am willing to try all suggestions!

I will say that at one point the Arcade Legends would work when it was turned on for 15 minutes or so, then you flip the game off and on it would sometimes boot and play fine. At that point I changed out the battery, and now I can't even get it to boot by doing that anymore.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2017, 01:36:23 pm »
I thought since it was a standard PC it had a momentary switch for the power button on the PC.
guess not.

I guess you can try unplugging it then flipping the switch for a bit and then trying to boot it back up.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2017, 02:48:30 pm »
OK I am going to pick up this computer today unless you guys think this is not going to be able to run the MAME, NES, SNES, N64 games like I want it to:

HP 4000 Pro SFF.
160gb HDD
4GB RAM
Core2 e7500 2.93 GHz
Windows 10 Pro

$45

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »
OK I am going to pick up this computer today unless you guys think this is not going to be able to run the MAME, NES, SNES, N64 games like I want it to:

HP 4000 Pro SFF.
160gb HDD
4GB RAM
Core2 e7500 2.93 GHz
Windows 10 Pro

$45

It'll handle the consoles though n64 can be twitchy with some games no matter what PC you have it on.
What mame games?
Unless something changed recently (and someone correct me if wrong) you will have to go back a few yrs with mame version.
I don't think that PC will handle some of the newer games on the latest version.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2017, 04:32:46 pm »

HP 4000 Pro SFF.
160gb HDD
4GB RAM
Core2 e7500 2.93 GHz
Windows 10 Pro

$45

It'll handle the consoles though n64 can be twitchy with some games no matter what PC you have it on.
What mame games?
Unless something changed recently (and someone correct me if wrong) you will have to go back a few yrs with mame version.
I don't think that PC will handle some of the newer games on the latest version.

You need more storage 160gb isn't gonna cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2017, 04:48:12 pm »
OK, I am now looking at computers on eBay. Thanks for all the input so far.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:12:46 pm by pinlink »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »

Hard drive wouldn't prevent you from booting to bios. Guess you made up your mind.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2017, 08:37:19 pm »
Alright I went with this one:

Dell Desktop Computer PC Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM Large 1TB Windows 10 - 64bit

I imagine this will be able to run everything that I want plus some. I will report back after I get it in and hook it up to the USBlinx board to see if it will work. Hopefully I plug it in and it boots right up to windows. We'll see...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:50:41 pm by pinlink »

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2017, 11:51:12 pm »
Thanks again for all the help!  :cheers:

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 09:50:39 am »
So I was just told in regards to the new PC working with the current Arcade Legends (USBlinx) setup:

"There is a LOT of work needed to customize the software/hardware and get it integrated with the cabinet, monitor and controls. There is some special software that the USBlinx needs, and also the fact that the arcade monitor is not the same frequency as a standard monitor that PCs are hooked up to. You either need a special VGA card, or modify drivers to get the PCs video card to output the correct frequency for an arcade monitor. "

And also:

"Probably won't run on Windows 10...you need special drivers for the video card to output correctly, and I don't think they were written for Windows10."

Can anyone comment on this? Will windows 10 not work for this conversion? Thanks!

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 12:47:56 pm »
So I was just told in regards to the new PC working with the current Arcade Legends (USBlinx) setup:

"There is a LOT of work needed to customize the software/hardware and get it integrated with the cabinet, monitor and controls. There is some special software that the USBlinx needs, and also the fact that the arcade monitor is not the same frequency as a standard monitor that PCs are hooked up to. You either need a special VGA card, or modify drivers to get the PCs video card to output the correct frequency for an arcade monitor. "

And also:

"Probably won't run on Windows 10...you need special drivers for the video card to output correctly, and I don't think they were written for Windows10."

Can anyone comment on this? Will windows 10 not work for this conversion? Thanks!
Any opinions on this? I'm trying to determine if I should cancel my order for the Windows 10 PC and get one with 7...

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 01:05:57 pm »

And also:

Any opinions on this? I'm trying to determine if I should cancel my order for the Windows 10 PC and get one with 7...

Windows 10 works fine with crt emudriver and it's better than windows 7. Don't listen to this advice.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 02:03:04 pm »

And also:

Windows 10 works fine with crt emudriver and it's better than windows 7. Don't listen to this advice.

Can you explain what "crt emudriver" is or does exactly? I am getting lots of different information as to what all I will need in order to turn this Arcade Legends into MAME.

I thought at first it would make sense to order this new PC, plug it in via VGA to the USBlinx, and hope that it boots up to windows on the AL monitor. If that doesn't work then look into getting the J-pac and I should be good to go. Now I am hearing that Windows 10 may not even work, I need "crt emudriver", customized hardware and software, new video cards, modified drivers, "some special software that the USBlinx" needs, etc. I honestly don't even know what 80% of that even means. I feel like I am starting from scratch....ugh

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 02:10:33 pm »

And also:

Can you explain what "crt emudriver" is or does exactly? I am getting lots of different information as to what all I will need in order to turn this Arcade Legends into MAME.

I thought at first it would make sense to order this new PC, plug it in via VGA to the USBlinx, and hope that it boots up to windows on the AL monitor. If that doesn't work then look into getting the J-pac and I should be good to go. Now I am hearing that Windows 10 may not even work, I need "crt emudriver", customized hardware and software, new video cards, modified drivers, "some special software that the USBlinx" needs, etc. I honestly don't even know what 80% of that even means. I feel like I am starting from scratch....ugh

Don't sweat it. I'll pm you in a few hours when I'm out of work.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2017, 03:23:22 pm »
Thanks, Keil! I appreciate that.

I just feel like I had made such progress with this, and knew exactly how to get this to work. Now I feel like I am starting at square 1 and not even sure if the computer I ordered will work, or what half the stuff means that people are saying I will now need.