Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Legends 1 conversion questions  (Read 10118 times)

pinlink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2017, 02:09:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade Legends 1 conversion questions
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:20:35 pm »
I recently acquired a non-working Arcade Legends 1 arcade machine. The computer in it will currently not boot up. I am wondering if I can swap in a Raspberry Pi running Retro Pi into the cabinet? What would I need in order to make this happen? To get the Arcade Legends running again, I believe I need the Software Recovery CD installed again but I do not have it. These seem impossible to find. Anyone have one I could borrow or buy?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:57:56 pm by pinlink »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Possible to convert Arcade Legends 1 to run Retro Pi ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 11:47:49 pm »
I would fix the computer. In no case should you replace it with a Pi, you will have gone from having a 100 percent legit multigame with real monetary value to a bootleg frameskipping turd. Probably just needs what most old computers need which is either a new power supply or a new CMOS battery.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:18:09 am »
I would fix the computer. In no case should you replace it with a Pi, you will have gone from having a 100 percent legit multigame with real monetary value to a bootleg frameskipping turd. Probably just needs what most old computers need which is either a new power supply or a new CMOS battery.

I agree in the fact that it is a spimple fix and I would go that route. But you need to stop downing the rpi every chance you get. It does some things well. It doesn't do everything well. I use it to emulate a single system that it does well. Can it play every n64 game? No. Can it switch resolutions on the fly? Yes, but not every district implemented it yet. It's a work in progress, but it does fit some people's needs.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:57:51 am »
Edited the topic title to not only be about converting to Pi or MAME.

Is there a way to test the power supply? I assumed the problem was that I needed to install the recovery software CD which of course I don't have. I have searched for days online and these CDs are no where to be found. Bummer. Anyone have an Arcade Legends 1 software recovery CD that I could buy or just borrow and send back?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:50:15 am by pinlink »

pinlink

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade Legends 1 questions
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »
I tested the Power supply with my multimeter and everything was at the correct voltage. But still nothing is displayed on my monitor (in the game or with my computer monitor). I still think I just need to insert the CD and see what happens. Seems impossible to locate though.

Jstgilstrap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:08:52 am
Re: Arcade Legends 1 conversion questions
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
you get nothing on the screen? Not even able to get into bios?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 02:08:56 pm »

I agree in the fact that it is a spimple fix and I would go that route. But you need to stop downing the rpi every chance you get. It does some things well. It doesn't do everything well. I use it to emulate a single system that it does well. Can it play every n64 game? No. Can it switch resolutions on the fly? Yes, but not every district implemented it yet. It's a work in progress, but it does fit some people's needs.

Nope, the pi is another example of the "much worse but easier" trend that has been ruining our hobby for years. People used to build the crap out of some amazing Mame cabinets. Then those 60 in 1 (or X in 1) boards came around and took over a huge portion of the build your own market even though they are just terrible. Bartops began to take off and, bam once again, the real hobby got smaller because it is easier to bash together a little kit then it is to actually use a saw for an hour or two. Now the pi comes along, and quickly takes over the majority of what is left of the community, despite the fact that it is aggressively worse than any PC. They have better software than the x in 1 boards, but the X in 1 boards are way more reliable so I would count them as equal to the pi.

Pi is great for consoles due to more optimized emulators for those consoles, and it runs some individual mame games perfectly, but it should never be the go-to or number one thing you recommend. What I particularly dislike is all the people selling these Pi based systems that are going to eventually corrupt their storage and when it happens they will have no idea how to fix it and the community will have moved onto something else that is probably even worse but easier.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »
you get nothing on the screen? Not even able to get into bios?

That is correct! Any ideas?

I took a picture of the inside of the computer. Noticed this amber colored light is lit solid. Not sure if that means anything.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:15:38 pm by pinlink »

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »
Use a multimeter and test the computer psu. That is step 1. I'm sure there are guides on YouTube if you search. My mvs was having weird issues with resetting and such. Replacing the psu cost me like 15$ and it resolved my issues. If it's not the psu, we can try next step ideas.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 03:41:58 pm »
Use a multimeter and test the computer psu. That is step 1. I'm sure there are guides on YouTube if you search. My mvs was having weird issues with resetting and such. Replacing the psu cost me like 15$ and it resolved my issues. If it's not the psu, we can try next step ideas.

I did test the power supply with a multimeter and everything checked out good. Thanks for any advice on what to try next.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 04:14:23 pm »

I did test the power supply with a multimeter and everything checked out good. Thanks for any advice on what to try next.

Try reseating the ram? Sometimes that can cause no boot.

Does it have a CMOS battery?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 04:18:21 pm »

This.  Get a old desktop PC in there and hook it up.  Download the the complete mame set off the internet.  Sounds like a cap has died on the mainboard.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 04:20:33 pm »
That is an off the shelf PC running onboard graphics.

Here is the troubleshooting guide.

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/docs/al_sp.pdf

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 04:27:59 pm »

Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I have replaced the battery, tested the power supply, and reseated the Ram but still nothing is displayed on the monitor. Not sure where to go from here.

This.  Get a old desktop PC in there and hook it up.  Download the the complete mame set off the internet.  Sounds like a cap has died on the mainboard.

So you are saying that I could get an old PC, load the MAME games on there, and use all of the same hookups that are in the Arcade Legends now? And that would work, just using all of the same boards and all?

I was also told that the old software CD will do me no good since it will ask for a code that no longer exists. This thing is a pain! You can buy a new hard drive for the Arcade Legends on ebay that comes with more games. I wonder if I just replaced the hard drive if that would do me any good? It's like $150 though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:31:57 pm by pinlink »

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »

Nope, the pi is another example of the "much worse but easier" trend that has been ruining our hobby for years. People used to build the crap out of some amazing Mame cabinets. Then those 60 in 1 (or X in 1) boards came around and took over a huge portion of the build your own market even though they are just terrible. Bartops began to take off and, bam once again, the real hobby got smaller because it is easier to bash together a little kit then it is to actually use a saw for an hour or two. Now the pi comes along, and quickly takes over the majority of what is left of the community, despite the fact that it is aggressively worse than any PC. They have better software than the x in 1 boards, but the X in 1 boards are way more reliable so I would count them as equal to the pi.

Pi is great for consoles due to more optimized emulators for those consoles, and it runs some individual mame games perfectly, but it should never be the go-to or number one thing you recommend. What I particularly dislike is all the people selling these Pi based systems that are going to eventually corrupt their storage and when it happens they will have no idea how to fix it and the community will have moved onto something else that is probably even worse but easier.

I think the Pi is great for small bartops with limited space, and for those who want console games. It's not perfect but for the average person it will play any 2D arcade game fine. However I would definitely get something more powerful for a larger cabinet.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 05:03:54 pm »

Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I have replaced the battery, tested the power supply, and reseated the Ram but still nothing is displayed on the monitor. Not sure where to go from here.

So you are saying that I could get an old PC, load the MAME games on there, and use all of the same hookups that are in the Arcade Legends now? And that would work, just using all of the same boards and all?

I was also told that the old software CD will do me no good since it will ask for a code that no longer exists. This thing is a pain! You can buy a new hard drive for the Arcade Legends on ebay that comes with more games. I wonder if I just replaced the hard drive if that would do me any good? It's like $150 though.

i've read on other forums some of the original games aren't even available because after because some licenses expired and the roms no longer offered.
Whatever that means.

doc's say it's a p3 in there. take out the HD and put it in another old PC.
Ideally another P3 with the same chip-set, see what it does.
If it's XP it will probably bluescreen.
So boot up in safe mode and go into control panel and unistall all the drivers.
reboot and you should get to a desktop.
maybe. :)

Otherwise, go with whatever hardware you got laying around.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 05:46:17 pm »
OK fixing the computer that is currently in the Arcade Legends is feeling like a lost cause. It could be so many different things wrong with it. The mother board, the ram, the hard drive, etc. The ram is impossible to find as well as any software CD. There is a guy who works on these computers but it would cost an arm and a leg to ship it to and fro.

I would love to be able to just drop an old PC in the there running MAME, NES and SNES games. That's really all I care to play. What would be required to do this? I don't imagine it would be as easy as just hooking up the new PC how the old one was in the Arcade Legends, right?

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 05:57:34 pm »
OK fixing the computer that is currently in the Arcade Legends is feeling like a lost cause. It could be so many different things wrong with it. The mother board, the ram, the hard drive, etc. The ram is impossible to find as well as any software CD. There is a guy who works on these computers but it would cost an arm and a leg to ship it to and fro.

I would love to be able to just drop an old PC in the there running MAME, NES and SNES games. That's really all I care to play. What would be required to do this? I don't imagine it would be as easy as just hooking up the new PC how the old one was in the Arcade Legends, right?

Can't see why a new PC wouldn't work. Get a used Core 2 Duo or Quad PC on Craigslist for $40-$50 and give it a shot. I wouldn't bother fixing an old Pentium 3 PC.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 06:42:50 pm »
OK fixing the computer that is currently in the Arcade Legends is feeling like a lost cause. It could be so many different things wrong with it. The mother board, the ram, the hard drive, etc. The ram is impossible to find as well as any software CD.

Umm…. No. The manufacture literally sells the parts , and lists the models. You could get replacement parts on eBay for damn cheap. The ram is $8 new on eBay.

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/parts.php?pid=14

As far as the software, Im not sure where to get a replacement. Your hard disk is probably good though because you should at least have bios. I would clone the disk when all is working just as a backup.

Tips;
http://www.chicago-gaming.com/docs/al_sp.pdf

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »

Yes Just swap the PC out and keep your games CD as a drinks coaster.  Have fun loading that sucker up with all kinds of games.  :cheers:

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:55 pm »

SD cards will not corrupt if your not writing to disk. This can be avoiding by read only or shutting down the pi properly. My pi is reliable. Your saying ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that benchmarks say isn't true, as well as general experience. I feel like I'm arguing with a 4 year old that insists a Toyota pickup was a diesel, when I know they don't even make diesel pickups for USA.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 10:39:28 pm »

SD cards will not corrupt if your not writing to disk. This can be avoiding by read only or shutting down the pi properly. My pi is reliable. Your saying ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that benchmarks say isn't true, as well as general experience. I feel like I'm arguing with a 4 year old that insists a Toyota pickup was a diesel, when I know they don't even make diesel pickups for USA.

Last I checked the guys working on pi mame had "accidentally" broken the feature that lets you see the framerate and if it is skipping or not. Is that working now?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 10:45:37 pm »
Saw your benchmarks Keith, I have to say the 3 is much improved. The B and 2 are a joke though. This will slightly alter my position going forward.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 04:52:04 am »

You can buy a diesel engine and put it in a Toyota, but something tells me would would argue some other topic with a 4 year old. 

The pi is unreliable and can have a FS error on boot if you even look at it funny.  That is why I BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP! place all your valuable ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on a USB drive (or just have it on a SMB server on your network) and leave the sdcard to start up and enable USB booting.  That way you can go through your crap 2gb sdcards without the headache of transferring everything like you would do with a 64gb card.      /rant

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 05:51:48 am »
The pi is unreliable and can have a FS error on boot if you even look at it funny.
Speaking as someone who uses RPis for real work (not just hobbies or toys), I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you're getting file system errors all the time, you're doing it wrong.  The Pi isn't the problem here.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:13 pm »
OK the plan for this evening is to go buy an old PC to hook up to the Arcade Legends to see if it will display on the monitor. I will just hook up the new PC via VGA connector to the USBlinx board, turn it on and cross my fingers. If the Arcade Legends monitor boots to desktop I will be pretty pumped and start loading up the Roms on the PC. Hopefully the controls on the Arcade Legends will work when I hook it up? Am I missing anything? Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions on this.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 12:44:38 pm »
OK the plan for this evening is to go buy an old PC to hook up to the Arcade Legends to see if it will display on the monitor. I will just hook up the new PC via VGA connector to the USBlinx board, turn it on and cross my fingers. If the Arcade Legends monitor boots to desktop I will be pretty pumped and start loading up the Roms on the PC. Hopefully the controls on the Arcade Legends will work when I hook it up? Am I missing anything? Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions on this.

In the repair guide i posted it mentions the controls are plugged into the ps2 port of the PC so it sounds like it uses a standard keyboard encoder.
you will still probably have to configure the controls.
if you get it working fire up notepad then move the controllers and pres the buttons to see what "keys" are being sent to the system.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:33 pm »
On the Arcade Legends computer, there is nothing plugged into the ps2 keyboard port. Just a connector plugged into the mouse port. There are 2 USBs ports, maybe that is what is controlling the control panel? Not sure.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »
Where does the cable plugged into the mouse socket go?, The manual said that Mouse is not used at all.

If the controller comes off of USB and isnt a standard HID USB device then you are almost guaranteed to be going to need some drivers.  You might get lucky though.  Looking at the spare parts it shows the usb interface (USBLINX) as having jamma on the other side.

So you could throw in a new PC and roll your own jamma connector to interface with the controls.  Not gonna be a simple task though. I would try and get the original board back up and running personally. I say this because even if you roll your own jamma how are you getting the VGA to the monitor, It looks like that is all handled by the interface board. so you would need a Jpac or similar really.  Actually a Jpac would be your best bet for a replacement PC because it replaces the USBLinx entirely.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 01:21:17 pm »
That could be your problem.
that mouse port is not to be used.

Only the keyboard port. that connects everything but the trackball.
Trackball is using usb port.

it may not be booting because you have the keyboard plugged into the mouse port.

I think you really should take a look at the troubleshooting guide i posted it isn't that technical and provides some step by step instructions.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »
Just as I edited my post Nitrogen_widget put it more eloquently for me :)

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 01:32:38 pm »
That could be your problem.
that mouse port is not to be used.

Only the keyboard port. that connects everything but the trackball.
Trackball is using usb port.

it may not be booting because you have the keyboard plugged into the mouse port.

I think you really should take a look at the troubleshooting guide i posted it isn't that technical and provides some step by step instructions.

OK, I will swap it out. But it is not booting when I hook up the ps2 keyboard (to the correct port) and my other monitor either so I don't think that is the problem.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 02:35:24 pm »

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »
Thanks, I've contacted him. Seems like a nice guy but it would cost me a ton of money just to ship it to him. Then I would have to pay for repair and to ship it back. Would just not make financial sense in the end. This is why I would like to convert it to run MAME, NES, SNES, etc. with an old PC.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 02:42:11 pm »
In which case pull everything that is in there (But do not throw it out so when you sell it it can be restored) Put in a Dual/Quad core PC and a Jpac connect everything up and off you go.

Actually you may be able to get away with the current board.  I found some online documentation on it here

http://service.globalvr.com/downloads/ultracade/components/040-USBLNXM-UCT_USBlinx_User_Doc_v02H.pdf

It says that it uses standard windows compatible devices so you should be able to just use it with the new PC. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2017, 04:49:39 pm »
Just as I edited my post Nitrogen_widget put it more eloquently for me :)

We posted the same solution at the same time. :)

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2017, 05:10:01 pm »
In which case pull everything that is in there (But do not throw it out so when you sell it it can be restored) Put in a Dual/Quad core PC and a Jpac connect everything up and off you go.

Actually you may be able to get away with the current board.  I found some online documentation on it here

http://service.globalvr.com/downloads/ultracade/components/040-USBLNXM-UCT_USBlinx_User_Doc_v02H.pdf

It says that it uses standard windows compatible devices so you should be able to just use it with the new PC.

Looking for PC's on craigslist I found this one that is
HP 4000 Pro SFF.
160gb HDD
4GB RAM
Core2 e7500 2.93 GHz
Windows 10 Pro

Think that could run most MAME, NES, SNES, N64 games? My knowledge of computers is basically zero. Thanks.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 07:25:53 pm »
A core2 with 4GB running win 10?
must of been one of those ninja updates. the poor bastard.

don't pay more than $50 because you will need at least another 2gb of ram.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 12:58:10 am »
Have you done the simplest thing to the original computer yet which is to replace the cmos battery?

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 04:09:50 am »
On the Arcade Legends computer, there is nothing plugged into the ps2 keyboard port. Just a connector plugged into the mouse port. There are 2 USBs ports, maybe that is what is controlling the control panel? Not sure.

Heres the guide for USBlinx, and it describes how to hook it up: http://service.globalvr.com/downloads/ultracade/components/040-USBLNXM-UCT_USBlinx_User_Doc_v02H.pdf

Documentation says not to use PS/2 when using usb. You have both connected.

Your jumping the gun buying new stuff. Just read the documentation and troubleshoot what you have. Its probably something simple.

Have you done the simplest thing to the original computer yet which is to replace the cmos battery?

^^^^ What he said. It’s a $4 purchase.