Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 19" Nintendo Monitor (Mitsubishi)  (Read 3839 times)

zinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 05:09:31 pm
  • There's a Donkey Kong Kill Screen coming up!
19" Nintendo Monitor (Mitsubishi)
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:59:36 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm a newb to arcade monitors and I'm looking to buy a 19" Nintendo Monitor (Mitsubishi) for $80. This will be for my Donkey Kong. All I know is that its possibly been in a double monitor cabinet such as Punch Out and that it still works. It has some slight burn-in but likely not noticeable behind the DK bezel.

What concerns should I have? Will this work? I'm planning to pick this up on Monday.

Here are some pics:

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:43:53 am
Re: 19" Nintendo Monitor (Mitsubishi)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 04:09:22 pm »
do you know the actual model number of the monitor?

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:18:37 pm »
Here's more pics of tube and chassis.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:53:31 pm »
Officially, only two 19" monitor makers were approved/supplied by Nintendo: Sanyo and Sharp.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:46 pm »
The fact that you are seeing Ms. Pacman on there indicates that this monitor will NOT work with DK without a video inverter. 

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 10:51:59 pm »
Thanks for the replies! What about hooking this monitor up to a PC? I'm assuming this would be easier since you don't need the inverter?

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:43:53 am
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 05:36:30 am »
are you building your own cab or is it an original donkey kong cab?

if you are building a cab you can use that monitor and then just use a 60 in 1 game board and only have the donkey kong games enabled

if its an original cab complete then you could use that monitor and buy an inverter/sound board

I am not sure if that monitor requires an iso transformer, I am sure the seller can give you that info as he has it working.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »
This is for a DK cabinet that I'm building.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150085.0.html

The build originally started out as a MAME build but now I'm going for a DK replica with a DK board set, etc.

I need to buy my own iso transformer to go from 120V to 100V.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 01:58:06 pm »
This is for a DK cabinet that I'm building.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150085.0.html

The build originally started out as a MAME build but now I'm going for a DK replica with a DK board set, etc.

I need to buy my own iso transformer to go from 120V to 100V.

Do yourself a favor and wire the cabinet JAMMA and buy a regular arcade std res monitor like the one you asked about. Get a normal ISO. Then buy Mikes arcade Nintendo JAMMA adapter. It has a built in sound AMP and video inverter.  I fixed up a cabaret and did this.   It's a lot easier than trying to source all the Nintendo harness parts and power brick.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 01:43:51 am »
I lucked out on Craigslist today and found Sanyo monitors, DK board, power supplies w/ transformers, etc.

There are no cables for monitors except for the plug. I need to find out how to hook the monitor up to the DK board. Plan is to find the one that works best and then sell the other two. Apparently, they all work.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:47:15 am »
The harness pieces can be hard to find.  You can make your own edge connector harness following the DK pinout.  But you will need the "rainbow connector" that bridges power from the main PCB to the video PCB. 

Mike's Arcade sells a lot of Nintendo stuff.  Here's the monitor cable

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=MONCBLNIN

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 12:52:17 am »
The harness pieces can be hard to find.  You can make your own edge connector harness following the DK pinout.  But you will need the "rainbow connector" that bridges power from the main PCB to the video PCB. 
Thanks! I was able to order all of the wiring harnesses from MikesArcade. Also, I don't think I need the rainbow connector since I'm powering the CPU and video boards separately from power supply instead of chaining the power to the video from CPU board.

I read that the Sanyo monitor needs to be grounded to be discharged. Does the monitor need to be always grounded? I guess I could use the ground coming into the cabinet from the 120V power cord?

behrmr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 10:32:52 am »
There are two different things to consider with "grounding" your monitor

1) When installed into your cabinet the frame of the monitor should be grounded to the cabinet's field ground (the middle prong from your outlet).  This is usually a shared ground to anything metal in your cabinet. 

2) Discharging the monitor by grounding it is really only needed if you are going to disassemble it, wash it, or otherwise manhandle it.  If you are just putting it in the cabinet, there's really no need. Regardless, to discharge the monitor you need to ground the anode in the tube to the aquadag (black paint on back of tube) of the monitor.  You can take an alligator clip jumper wire and clip one end to the frame of the monitor.  Clip the other end to the shaft of a metal flat blade screwdriver.  Slide the blade of the screwdriver under the anode cup (the suction cup thingy on the tube with the red wire coming out of it).  Wait a couple of seconds and you're done.  You may or may not here a "snap".  This is a temporary deal.  E.g. you don't leave this grounded.  If you do this wrong and then handle the tube you may get zapped.  It won't kill you it will just more or less piss you off.

Good luck.