Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Flexible stick on "T" molding  (Read 4634 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Flexible stick on "T" molding
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
T-molding.com sells a flat stick on T molding that Im thinking of using. Anyone have any experience with this?
From the instructable video they show the guy rolling it out onto a flat service. I was wondering how it would do with inside and outside radius curves?

UEDan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Flexible stick on "T" molding
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:56:55 pm »
Personally, I would never consider it. They used wood that was sanded flat, good luck with MDF.
And it looks like you're going to have to trim it any ways. Hammering in t-molding still seems quicker.

Why are you considering it?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:12:21 pm »
Ive never used it.
But I have cut the back off normal T moulding and stuck it to MDF using UHB tape.
It worked fine.

It really depends what adhesive is used as the actual t moulding will conform to any smooth shape.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:26:43 pm »
Personally, I would never consider it. They used wood that was sanded flat, good luck with MDF.
And it looks like you're going to have to trim it any ways. Hammering in t-molding still seems quicker.

Why are you considering it?

I have a slot cut for the monitor glass to slide into, and Im afraid there wont be enough meat left after routering a t molding slot. Im afraid the meat between the glass and cabinet edge will come apart, if I slice into it for T molding.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:29 pm »
Ive never used it.
But I have cut the back off normal T moulding and stuck it to MDF using UHB tape.
It worked fine.

It really depends what adhesive is used as the actual t moulding will conform to any smooth shape.

Maybe I can adjust the t molding slot to not be so deep, and cut off the t molding barb and glue whats left into the shallow slot?
Im not sure what UHB tape is??
Lowes has some iron on strip that dont look too bad on my test scrap MDF, but the only texture they have is a woodgrain. Which might not be too bad, since I am building a bartop cabinet for a lucky 8 lines slot machine, which I think the original cabinet was a wood grain type.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:14:27 am »
UHB tape is made by 3M.
Its basically super strength double sided tape.

But you will only get one shot with it. Once its stuck on it will not come off!

Ime not a fan of the iron on stuff personally. It usually peels off over time.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:38:14 am »
I've not used edgebanding on an entire cabinet. But I have used it on a Japanese cocktail cabinet around the table top.  It was sufficiently sticky enough to hold in place and handled outside corners well.  It's easy to trim with a knife or if you have a straight enough run a quad-cutter also works nicely.  It's cheap enough to just try it.   if you look on ebay or amazon you can find all sorts of widths and colors.  This is not a t-molding dot com exclusive.