Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What kind of computer will I need for my build?  (Read 2859 times)

pinlink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2017, 02:09:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What kind of computer will I need for my build?
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:02:32 pm »
First post here. I am a pinball guy, but really want to build a MAME for my game room.

I would like to build a pedestal style Arcade that plays all the MAME arcade games, NES, SNES, and N64 games.

I plan to just buy a pre built controller and attach it to the pedestal with the computer housed in the pedestal. Plugged into a flat screen on the wall.

I have searched for a computer pre loaded with the games, but seems that is not possible. So here I am. Looking for advice on what kind of computer and other hardware that I will need to put this games on the computer, then connect the controller and monitor.

Any advice on what kind of computer I need and where to buy from? What am I missing? Consider me a super newbie. Thank you!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: What kind of computer will I need for my build?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:11:08 am »
Depends what you want to do.  What games do you want to play, 2 player, 4 player, 4 way classics, trackball games, spinner games.  Oh no wait, you said all the games.  All the games is not possible really. Don't even attempt N64 games unless you have an adapter fitted that allows you to use the original controller or a ps3 controller.

As for PC, a generation 4 I5 with 8GB ram will play pretty much anything you throw at it. But from the sounds of it why go to all that expense.

You may be better off searching ebay for double stick arcade. :laugh2: :laugh2: (seriously)

Then do a raspberry pie build and see about using original Nes/Snes/N64 controllers for that.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:07:17 am »
Thanks for the reply! Is there a specific double stick arcade you would recommend (X-Arcade, Pandoras, etc.)

Yeah, I think 1 and 2 player games will be fine. Not really worried about track ball or spinner games.

So a raspberry pie can support most MAME games as well as NES and SNES?

Sounds like my best bet would be to just buy a built controller (like X-Arcade or Pandora), and a raspberry pie and plug this into a TV monitor, correct?

With the raspberry pie I assume I would not need the computer?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:15:36 am by pinlink »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:04:23 pm »
Ras Pi seems like a debated issue.  You don't need a lot of horsepower to run older arcade games.  What I did is grab a refurbished 64-bit PC from NewEgg. I always gotta recommend putting together your own control panel though.  So much better experience. 

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 02:28:16 pm »
Yeah, I just don't have all of the woodworking tools to cut/drill/etc. my own controller. And it seems like it would end up being more expensive than just buying an X-Arcade controller. (Is this the best option when buying a ready made controller?)

I really just want to know the easiest way to be able to play most MAME, NES and SNES games on an arcade controller or swap in NES or SNES controllers for those games if desired. If raspberry pi can support these games I will go that route. So I would not need a computer, just the raspberry pi, arcade controller, monitor, and nes snes controllers, correct?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:20:12 pm »
Yeah, I just don't have all of the woodworking tools to cut/drill/etc. my own controller. And it seems like it would end up being more expensive than just buying an X-Arcade controller. (Is this the best option when buying a ready made controller?)

I really just want to know the easiest way to be able to play most MAME, NES and SNES games on an arcade controller or swap in NES or SNES controllers for those games if desired. If raspberry pi can support these games I will go that route. So I would not need a computer, just the raspberry pi, arcade controller, monitor, and nes snes controllers, correct?

You will never have a computer that can emulate all mame games. Its impossible at the moment. However, even a raspberry pi can emulate most mame games. A rpi3 overclocked can handle many N64 games. Maybe try that and a PS3/4 controller to start and then take your adventure further after playing with it? I have my rpi2 hooked up to a crt tv running lakka and neo geo games and am happy with it.

X Arcade has ---smurfy--- controls in my opinion. But its a box. Maybe a fight stick combined with a rpi is the right way to go? This guy makes some really cool sticks. He could probably make one for you with room to fit a pi inside and drill your own holes for panel mount connections. Just an idea.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 10:20:35 pm »
X-arcade and the Pi have something in common, they are both the worst possible thing you could be using. There isn't a prefab stick that anyone uses that is worse than the X-arcade and there isn't a CPU solution anyone uses that is worse than the Pi.

The PC in my mame cabinet is from 2002, it rungs rings around the pi, and runs a newer mame version than the 1999 era one usually used on the pi. Pi is pretty good with most consoles as most consoles have emulators that are highly optimized for the Pi. However mame is not, mame was written for Intel CPUs and later ported to the Arm platform, and it is far less efficient per clock cycle on ARM as it is on intel. A 1 ghz ARM processor will benchmark mame similarly to about a 300-350 mhz Intel processor (will vary wildly from game to game and mame version to mame version).

Mortal Kombat 3, full speed in the video below, on a computer 10 years older than what you could probably get for free today.

Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:25:46 am »
Check out my build thread I have a control panel I could donate to you if you pay shipping. It is not perfect but it may be a start to help you out. Where you located? Will need to buy the joysticks, buttons, and trackball is all routed for the Ultimarc with inserts. Has inserts for the JLW stick that ultrimarc also sells. The hardware alone is 30 bucks from ultimarc, all I'm taking from it is the hinges that you could buy from lowes for 15 bucks. Again not perfect but its just sitting in my garage. Also Aliexpress sells those 2 player pandoras box from china for like 200$ Still cheaper than than getting mine and buying all the parts.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154914.0.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:29:17 am by gumby510 »

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 04:43:58 pm »
X-Arcade sticks are pretty  :lame:  They have horrible button layouts, cheap Chinese parts, and terrible "art" on them. I would build a custom control panel so you can choose your own parts and layout. As for a Pi it's good but is on the weaker side, probably better suited for bartop cabinets.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »
X-arcade and the Pi have something in common, they are both the worst possible thing you could be using. There isn't a prefab stick that anyone uses that is worse than the X-arcade and there isn't a CPU solution anyone uses that is worse than the Pi.

The PC in my mame cabinet is from 2002, it rungs rings around the pi, and runs a newer mame version than the 1999 era one usually used on the pi. Pi is pretty good with most consoles as most consoles have emulators that are highly optimized for the Pi. However mame is not, mame was written for Intel CPUs and later ported to the Arm platform, and it is far less efficient per clock cycle on ARM as it is on intel. A 1 ghz ARM processor will benchmark mame similarly to about a 300-350 mhz Intel processor (will vary wildly from game to game and mame version to mame version).

Mortal Kombat 3, full speed in the video below, on a computer 10 years older than what you could probably get for free today.

Dude, RPI3 can use a new release of MAME and run MK3 at 110%. It actually runs many games well.

http://choccyhobnob.com/mame/benchmarks-for-mame-on-raspberry-pi/

I am running a 3.1ghz i3 connected to my crt arcade monitor. I also have a rpi2 connected to my crt tv running the same set of games. Both run fine. No noticeable lag or weirdness with either units. Chill out. RPI is not a perfect solution, but its not junk. Maybe you have bad experience.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:04:57 pm »
The X Arcade has the best multi game support you can have.  The controls are not the best, but you can swap them out when you get sick of clickety click, but so do other control panels made by a 3rd party.

Please ignore the purists, they are the crack in everyone's ass, only the best controls  :blah: when the basic will do for a couple of hours a week is dedicated to these two player control panels.  It is a fun hobby, and if you want to use a pi or a PC that is your choice, and most games work fine on a pi, and all games work on a $35 PC.

I recently put the innards of my Xarcade into my Stargate, and placed all my consoles into the bottom part of the cabinet, the machine is a joy to use real hardware than emulation.  Not everyone's cup of tea but something to work towards.  Did I mention that Xarcade is the cheaper option too?  :laugh:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 07:54:06 pm »
The X Arcade has the best multi game support you can have.  The controls are not the best, but you can swap them out when you get sick of clickety click, but so do other control panels made by a 3rd party.

Please ignore the purists, they are the crack in everyone's ass, only the best controls  :blah: when the basic will do for a couple of hours a week is dedicated to these two player control panels.  It is a fun hobby, and if you want to use a pi or a PC that is your choice, and most games work fine on a pi, and all games work on a $35 PC.

I recently put the innards of my Xarcade into my Stargate, and placed all my consoles into the bottom part of the cabinet, the machine is a joy to use real hardware than emulation.  Not everyone's cup of tea but something to work towards.  Did I mention that Xarcade is the cheaper option too?  :laugh:

X Arcade isn't terrible, I just wouldn't personally put it in a cabinet. Maybe as a controller or something...

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 10:48:31 pm »
Thanks for those benchmarks. We can see that the 3 is actually almost good enough but still seems to choke a bit on some titles. The 2 and B however are just stuttering along on key titles.

Thanks for the time you put in on this. I am not a stupid man, my mind can be changed. You have altered my viewpoint about the 3 moving forward.

Dude, RPI3 can use a new release of MAME and run MK3 at 110%. It actually runs many games well.

http://choccyhobnob.com/mame/benchmarks-for-mame-on-raspberry-pi/

I am running a 3.1ghz i3 connected to my crt arcade monitor. I also have a rpi2 connected to my crt tv running the same set of games. Both run fine. No noticeable lag or weirdness with either units. Chill out. RPI is not a perfect solution, but its not junk. Maybe you have bad experience.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

pinlink

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 08:59:02 am »
Updating for any future readers.

I decided to get this one:

Dell Desktop Computer PC Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM Large 1TB Windows 10 - 64bit

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
Updating for any future readers.

I decided to get this one:

Dell Desktop Computer PC Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM Large 1TB Windows 10 - 64bit

How much did you pay?

WetpantsMcGee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2019, 03:44:18 pm
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 12:23:23 pm »
Has anyone used anything like this for a build?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501022&nm_mc=snc-facebook-DPA-ADVT-PC&cm_mmc=snc-facebook-DPA-ADVT-PC-_-Barebone+Systems+-+Mini+/+Booksize-_-ECS+(EliteGroup)-_-56501022

Looks like a nice, compact system that would be easy to tuck away, plus it's fanless.  I do worry about it being SOC; they usually don't have much in the way of processing power.  There's nothing listed as far as the GPU; I'd be curious if it had enough juice to run Golden Tee.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:26:35 pm by WetpantsMcGee »