Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Links Awakening DX  (Read 4485 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Links Awakening DX
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:54:46 pm »
Fired this up out of nowhere on Saturday and I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the game. I'm playing it on a 3DSXL, so its still a portable Zelda game :p

Its an interesting take on the Zelda series. I faintly remember playing the Gameboy version forever ago but I never played the DX aka Gameboy Color edition before. The game is pretty straight forward and I haven't figured out any sequence breaking moves yet but its a rock solid title. I was surprised at the Mario enemies  being in the game but I totally fanboy for that kind of stuff. I like that you can remap any equipment to either key and that some dungeon puzzles require 2 pieces of gear and no sword. The side scrolling parts are pretty brief , and while a nice distraction from the isometric overhead, they don't compete with it.

I started to do the "Gameboy camera" quest but I looked up the FAQ for it and there's literally NO reward for completing it, and that's beat city. I plan to revisit Oracle of Ages and Seasons next.

What did you guys think about LA:DX?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
Re: Links Awakening DX
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:49:08 pm »
I love it.  I just played through it last year on the nes classic.  It is a really cool zelda game.  Especially with the jumps, side scrolling, etc.  Probably one of the best original game boy titles. 

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:20 pm »
Love it.
It’s my second favourite Zelda next to LTTP.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:13:52 pm »
Yes definitely one of my favorite games. It’s really amazing they were able to cram so much content into a Gamboy title. One of the things I love best about this game is that it’s just about as strong of a title as it’s bigger brother LTTP. Nintendo didn’t get lazy and just make a lame Gameboy Zelda game. They made a unique title that plays very well on such a small gaming system.

It really is amazing how well this game game has aged. It has definitely stood the test of time.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:33:17 am »

I was surprised at the Mario enemies  being in the game but I totally fanboy for that kind of stuff.
What did you guys think about LA:DX?

This game came out before Mario and Co.  became a protected brand.  Now I think you need special approval to put any Mario character in another Nintendo game.  It kind of makes sense though.... you'll notice that it's primarily Mario 2 characters and since that entire game was a dream....

It's not a game that I've spent any amount of time on, but it's on my list.  Now if they'd just stop making video games maybe the list would get shorter instead of longer. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 10:52:46 am »
Needs a remake. The frustration of constantly having to swap equipped items - including items just to simply dash and jump - makes it too much of a chore to go back and play.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:55:16 am »
Needs a remake. The frustration of constantly having to swap equipped items - including items just to simply dash and jump - makes it too much of a chore to go back and play.

Alright, that's the "has a huge annoyance" bell that was ringing in the back of my mind.  I also recall that the overworld map was small.

Oracle of Ages/Seasons - I played through one of them, whichever one was considered slightly better, and the other was so similar I got bored with it.

:dunno

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 11:21:07 am »
LOL. Wut?

Dude...it was a Zelda game on the original Gameboy. They only had 2 buttons to work with. I'd say the developers did just fine with the controls.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:10:45 pm »
I was surprised at the Mario enemies  being in the game but I totally fanboy for that kind of stuff.
you'll notice that it's primarily Mario 2 characters and since that entire game was a dream....
Other than the Shyguy clone  "Mask Mimic" , its all Mario 1, 3 and World enemies:
Chain Chomp, Goombas, Bloopers, Piranha Plant, Boo, Thwimp/Thwomp, Pokey, Bombombs. Ironically , no koopas!

Frequently having to change items because of the 2 button limit is a bit annoying and an updated remake with LttP graphics and more buttons would definitely help. The overworld being small isnt that big of a deal, it seems to be a rather short game. And they sort of force you to take specific paths to get to places. Ive enjoyed the platforming they've injected into the iso view and kinda hope they release another old school style Zelda game with jumping. My only real complaint is the music isnt that good and the writing can be a little ham fisted at times.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 10:37:30 am »
Found and finished the "special color dungeon"  man, they didn't put a ton of effort into it. Just 2 color related "puzzles" in a *VERY* small dungeon. The reward was worth it though, I took the damage reducing tunic, but I wish there was an option to keep the player sprite green.

I was going to use the damage increasing tunic, but I tend to screw around *A LOT* and this will help. I get hit with boulders while digging up dirt more often than I get hit by actual enemies.  Running and jumping across big gaps is surprisingly cathartic and leads to me dicking around even more, and getting hit by enemies whilst acrobating around.

I was googling sequence breaking in this game and apparently pretty much all of them require screen transition glitching, and it was patched in the DX version, whomp whomp. I plan to finish this game up this weekend *fingers crossed*

My only lasting gripe now is, the game is pretty easy. I've only died a few times and every single time was I screwed around too much. I don't think I'll bother to do a no death run for this game despite the low difficulty curve. And yes, I realize I'm jinxing myself for like a super hard end boss or something. This game *DOES* make we wanna play LttP again though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:25:42 am by Malenko »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:24 pm »
you'll notice that it's primarily Mario 2 characters and since that entire game was a dream....

Ok so there's non-enemy frog that looks a LOT like Wart (SMB2 End Boss) but other than him, it was just shyguy like I said. Anyfart , I finished the game. It was super great. All the dungeons except the last 2 were pretty easy, the last one (turtle rock) took me like 90 minutes to finish, either there was a lot of forced backtracking or I look a less than optimum route. I ended up missing 2 pieces of heart containers, but other than that I had every item and secret. The "boss rush" style last guy wasnt really much of a challenge and was kind of a let down.  This game definitely deserves a modern remake with LttP sprites or something.  The isometric platforming was just so much fun.  I don't really see my replaying the DX version ever again but it was a fun ride.

It's not a game that I've spent any amount of time on, but it's on my list.
Maybe 12 hours total, if I rushed I'm sure I could have done it faster. I did get stuck on the last dungeon for a while, a guide would have likely cut at least 30 minutes off the run.
Get it for your 3DS on the Vconsole and then you can just use save states like I did. It can be confusing if you do it mid dungeon though
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:10:38 am by Malenko »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:59 am »
Well, you got me all hot on Zelda again.  I found my 3DS and blew the dust off it to play Zelda: Link Goes Flat on Walls.  Then it turns out CFW is an easy reality?  I'll have to see if I can get Links Awakening going on it...

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:46 am »
Well, you got me all hot on Zelda again.  I found my 3DS and blew the dust off it to play Zelda: Link Goes Flat on Walls.  Then it turns out CFW is an easy reality?  I'll have to see if I can get Links Awakening going on it...

The latest CFW is even easier than before. Get your CFW,  Install FreeShop, and then download the game through that. Ironically enough, Nintendo banned my 3DS from online play right after buying Links Awakening through their eshop. If I pirated the game I likely wouldn't be banned lol. Fortunately , no online play has had absolutely ZERO impact on me.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 11:25:04 am »
Any steps to avoid a ban?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 11:28:12 am »
Any steps to avoid a ban?

You're going to have to rely on the googles. All the ban does is keep you from like posting highscore in NES Remix and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like that.  My wife's 3DS is modded and remains unbanned. I can still buy games from the estore and pirate games from the freestore, so I don't really care

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 04:15:15 pm »
Well, that process was fairly easy.  Now my dust collector runs CFW and I can load it up with even more games to ignore!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »
Well, that process was fairly easy.  Now my dust collector runs CFW and I can load it up with even more games to ignore!

They'll still take up less physical room then your box of PS4 games you don't play.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »
Turns out I already legally owned Links Awakening on 3DS.  Must have been super cheap or something.

:lol

FreeShop is freaking hilarious, though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:56:18 pm »
Yeah it's stupidly easy to pirate games on the 3ds and wii u.  Ironically it's made me buy MORE games for those systems.  I'll play a game and it'll be so good that I feel guilty and run out and buy it.  I actually think piracy is a good thing in terms of selling software as more copies simply spreads the word on your game and there are some people that just aren't going to pirate no matter what. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 10:20:19 pm »
Well, I own like 2 dozen 3DS games so no guilt here. I think Mario Golf was my last pre-order.... That game sucked.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 12:24:53 am »

It's not a game that I've spent any amount of time on, but it's on my list.
Maybe 12 hours total, if I rushed I'm sure I could have done it faster. I did get stuck on the last dungeon for a while, a guide would have likely cut at least 30 minutes off the run.
Get it for your 3DS on the Vconsole and then you can just use save states like I did. It can be confusing if you do it mid dungeon though

That's not too bad, but man, between the retro consoles I've been picking up, the psp games you sent me, all these target gift cards and my backlog from xmas I'm over-loaded.  It's a wondrous world we live in when a person on a budget can have too much entertainment to consume.  Of course the fact that I feel like crap and I'm over-stressed isn't helping.  It's hard to game when you are in the wrong head-space.    I'm thinking of starting to paint again... it used to help me center myself and I haven't done it seriously since college.