Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ADP Lady Bug restoration: the licensed German cab [finished]  (Read 27942 times)

mourix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:15 pm
Re: ADP Lady Bug restoration: the licensed German cab
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2020, 12:54:25 pm »
Thanks for all the kind replies!

There is quite a dramatic story behind my arcade collection that started with 14 year old mourix getting a bunch arcade cabinets for MAME, later finding out these cabs were actually rare, the storage barn having leakage, and my current road to redemption by undoing my teen damage and getting the machines an actual future by doing stuff in a way that makes sure they won't be trashed by a teenager again :'(

After this machine I will be doing a WWF Wrestlemania restoration, and I'll go out with my most anticipated restoration of a Berzerk cab which I will end up keeping. But that one will be around 2022 at this pace :P

For now, let's make this Lady Bug count! It has been so much fun to fix something that had been in storage since 2008.

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 10:34:36 am »
European TV's got a SCART connector with RGB inputs, which is great for use as an arcade monitor for this project. Connecting SCART pin 8 to 12V tells the TV to switch over to 4:3 AV mode. I wired it up, but my Philips TV does not seem to switch to AV when the 12V is already present at the time of powering on. I would turn on the cab and just get snow on screen.

My solution was to use one of the cheap relay time delay boards off Ebay. When I got it I could not get it to trigger the relay, though. Turns out, they added a wrong series diode as reverse polarity protection. The 5V relay engages at 4.5V, but this regular diode had a voltage drop of 0.7V... Good luck trying to make that run on 5V... :banghead:

Bypassing the diode with a blob of solder did the trick:

And wired into the cab it's switching the AV at startup perfectly:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:49:49 am by mourix »

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2020, 09:08:15 am »
After a long time of doubt, I decided to finish things properly with the joystick. This project had come so far, I just could not live with a Chinese one. I ended up importing a GGG Dominux8 with 4way restrictor plate and premium red ball top. To make it fit I had to drill into my fresh 90 dollar joystick. That was pretty nerve-wracking... I made a hole template in photoshop and went drilling into the disassembled joystick. After some grinding down the base some more, it actually fit!

Now this truly feels better. I can finally control my Lady Bug properly :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:04 am »
Very nice.

It might be different for that game, but I believe the dust washer goes under the CP, not on top.

:cheers:

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2020, 09:36:05 am »
It might be different for that game, but I believe the dust washer goes under the CP, not on top.

The original joystick hole was so incredibly bothed and off-center, there is no way they wouldn't have covered it up ???

mourix

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 09:47:13 am »
Lastly, I tidied the wiring, touched up some paint and cleaned the whole machine. After rotting in barns for 2 decades, this Lady Bug is officially restored. This was a wild 2 year project with lots of waiting times for rare parts, and definitely the biggest project I have done to date. I want to thank everyone who helped me with this one. Now it’s time for some glamour shots :burgerking:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: ADP Lady Bug restoration: the licensed German cab [finished]
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2020, 11:57:43 am »
Well done Mourix, that came out very clean.  I'd be proud of that if it were mine.

arfink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:55:57 pm
  • Narf!
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2020, 11:30:06 pm »
Gorgeous cab. You've done a great job!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 05:35:28 am »
 :applaud: :applaud: Looks like a nice survivor.  I'm guessing you'll get some time to play it too, what with current climate.

NVGMTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 05:30:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2021, 02:09:16 pm »
Mourix, if you still own this cab and would like to know more about the original stick, we have this machine in the Nationaal Videogame Museum in Zoetermeer, I understand you're in The Netherlands as well, I work there and can show you the original if you make an appointment with me or I can photograph the thing and post pictures here... I just happened to work on it two days ago and noticed how special and quirky that original stick is, I had certainly never seen one like it.

Frans