Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plexi/Paint Suggestions  (Read 338 times)

rave0035

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
Plexi/Paint Suggestions
« on: August 25, 2017, 09:22:00 pm »
Pros -

I'm nearing completion on my CNC Bartop project.  Instead of going with vinyl decals, I've decided to hire an artist friend to do a custom paint job on the cab.  The big reveal will be on my project thread (that I haven't touched in months).

Long story short, we're getting creative.  Trying to come up with some plans for the plexi marquee and bezel, so I need your help.

The marquee will be backlit.  I want the lettering to be a solid color (think: shiny gold) with paint around it.  Any suggestions for what to use to create a shiny gold vibe?  Would a layer of gold vinyl on the front look OK with a backlight?

Also, any techniques for tracing/painting around the monitor?

Thanks!
Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: Plexi/Paint Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:03:54 am »
Real gold leaf might work. It's so thin it probably still lets lights through it - or are you saying you want the lettering opaque? Also, it'd be better to do all artwork in reverse, on the back of the marquee, so that it's protected. Or, you could put a second piece of plexi over the top of it.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 03:20:07 pm »
I would test of the backlight shines through two layers of the vinyl.

If it does not

- buy enough vinyl to do the letters twice

- fold the vinyl in the middle, double-tape the insides together

- cut the letters out

- now you can put one set of letters on top of the plexi and the other set on the back.

Or, if the vinyl is thin enough, just double-tape two layers of vinyl together, cut the letters out and put them on top of the plexi.

If the light shines through two layers of vinyl

- double-tape the vinyl to a piece of thin cardboard

- cut the letters out

- put the vinyl letters on top of the plexi

- double-tape or glue the cardboard letters on the back of the plexi.

Finally, like big10p said, put a second piece of plexi over the top of it.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:50:52 pm »
Gold leaf with paint behind it, maybe?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31