Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Preventing corrosion on a Seimitsu LS-32  (Read 2003 times)

Swevicus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2019, 08:25:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Preventing corrosion on a Seimitsu LS-32
« on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:49 am »
Dear BYOAC,

Is there any way I can prevent the Seimitsu LS-32 (and LS-32-01)'s steel shaft from corrosion/rust (you can thank Seimitsu for lacking the foresight and sense to produce, never mind include, a shaft cover for their most popular joystick, unless you get the LS-32-SC or LS-32-01-SC, which feature a unique shaft cover)? I've thought about spray painting it gold/silver or maybe spraying WD40 on it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Swevicus.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: Preventing corrosion on a Seimitsu LS-32
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 02:22:49 pm »
I wouldn't paint them, the paint will wear away easily over time with play.  WD-40 is an option I guess, but it wouldn't be annoying everytime you play you get your hands all slippery.
You could look into Metal Protector/Polish, something like this: 
https://www.amazon.com/Maas-International-Metal-Protector-8-Ounce/dp/B0009K7CK2
https://www.amazon.com/Maas-International-Metal-Polish-1-1-Pound/dp/B0008E0AFS/ref=pd_sim_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PFKH9MTHPYGQTB69WS49

But really, just keep them dry after you play. Every couple weeks I like to wipe down my machines from dust and playing grime, just as part of the regular maintenance tasks.

Also, those shafts will take a long while to rust out. I have only seen them rust in extreme circumstances, like machines that have been abandoned in high moisture areas for a long time.

But really, if you're that worried about them rusting, you can easily stock up on replacement parts since this is a very common stick. Replacement shafts aren't too expensive.
Repairing the rust on a shaft isn't so bad either, you could just fit it into your drill chuck and take some fine sandpaper to it, then polish them up after.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 12:15:50 am »
What planet do you live on that this is a problem. I have churned through hundreds of games over the years, and seen thousands more, and I have never even seen rust on a Japanese stick that wasn't from the early 80s. And on those that do get a spot of rust a little mild sandpaper will take care of it for about 5 years or so, at which point you will do it again.

I am running some sticks right now, that went through that giant tornado in Joplin, MO some years back, then sat outside for 3 years where the cabs landed, then I took them home, stuck them in the drill and sanded the shafts, and now 4 years later they are all still rust free.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 10:29:15 am »
On earth, there are carbon based life forms called humans. They secrete oils and acids, and the PH of everyone's sweat is not the same. Playing guitar (real ones not Guitar Hero), you'll notice strings don't last forever, and some people ruin strings with a few plays... its possible. With guitar strings they've started applying a thin Teflon coating that triples their life. Perhaps something similar will work in the OPs situation better than giving him a hard time for not being able to touch nice things  :lol

Don't feel bad OP... just be thankful you don't play guitar ;)

Swevicus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2019, 08:25:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »
I gave up on the 32 after finding out the 56 was the best all-rounder for my purposes (Atari/Commodore retro games and some PS1/PS2 games such as the original Tekken Trilogy). :)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 03:20:43 am »
Good choice, the 32's have always felt clunky to me. The 56/58's are my favourite sticks, 58's moreso since then can mount in sanwa panels with the stock plates.