Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mi DIY Star Wars Yoke project  (Read 5635 times)

Sky25es

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 05:19:21 pm
Mi DIY Star Wars Yoke project
« on: August 23, 2017, 05:59:51 pm »
It's near impossible to find an original (or replica) Atari Star Wars Yoke here in Spain, so I decided to build my own.
Many thanks to Scott (PL1) for providing me with some needed measurements.

The torsion springs are real replacement parts from ArcadeFixit.com. The spur gears, although not original, are accurate (14, 28 and 60 tooth).

Here are some pics of my already to a 70% finished work:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:06:39 pm by Sky25es »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Mi DIY Star Wars Yoke project
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:02:04 am »
I dig it! Looks like you're right on track.  What's the plan for handles and cover?

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:30:47 pm »
I don't know why getting this far has been so hard for the collective brain power we have here.  This is a great step forward for creating a homebrew Yoke controller.  I cannot wait to see this controller field tested to see how well it does. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:56:20 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 02:24:24 pm »
 :notworthy:

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:16:52 pm »
I dig it! Looks like you're right on track.  What's the plan for handles and cover?

For the handles I did buy some time ago a pair of these from Happ:

combined with a pair of these to connect them to the shaft:

Admittedly, at 26 bucks each & shipping, they are quite expensive but definitely well worth it. You can however use a less expensive Joystick handle. Any old-school Joy's like the Quickshot series will do the job.

As for the Yoke cover I'll use a sheet metal plate that I'll cut down to size, so that it looks just like the real one:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:31:11 pm by Sky25es »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:11:34 am »
Nice to see someone taking this type of project head on.

Great job.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:09:30 pm »
Not too shabby  =)

A few suggestions...

- The larger Gear is crooked,  and may wear / skip / break teeth as a result.   Also, Hot Glue may not hold it well, for the long haul.

Take a large gear,  and make a Collar for it... out of wood or cutting-board plastic.   
  Center-Punch a Divit in the material.   Then Measure the diameter of the Pipe,  and mark out on material.
  Use compass,  and mark out the hole,  as well as the external diameter of the collar.   Make the wall thickness from inside diameter to outside.. about 1/2 inch minimum.
  ... AND make the collar thickness at least 1/2"  or more.  (which may require thicker material... or two bonded parts)

Use a fostner bit to drill the center hole,   then use a circle cutter or hand cut the excess off + sand rough edges a bit.
  Sand the front face rough,  and sand the gears rear side rough - for glue joint strength.

To provide additional strength:

Pre-Drill and screw in a few miniature wood-screws.   Or maybe better... to use a set-screw in a tapped hole.   Easiest may be to use two small diameter hard-steel nails or bars... lightly hammered into a very tight fitting hole.    This is mainly to prevent the collar from shearing at the gear to collar bond point.

Spread something like oil over the main shaft,  so that excess glue does not bond to it.
  Place the gear + collar over the shaft... and bond the collar to the gear with 2 part plastic epoxy.
  Allow at least 1 to 2 days to attain a maximum strength cure.

Once dry... tap the thing off the shaft gingerly with a rubber mallet and a dowel nearest the shaft.
Clean up anything on left of the shaft.

Attachment:

Now you can Drill and Tap a hole(s)  in the Collar.    Either all the way through vertically...  and use a long machine screw + nuts for fastening...
 Or... use 2 or 3  shallow set-screws.     If you do use a full length... remember that it might make it a little more difficult (tight) to pass wire through.

The collar will not only provide you with a straighter gearing...  but also,  will make it easier to slip on / off... as well as more secure from any strain / stresses.

-----

I would also recommend rubber bumpers,  on the Y-Axis... to reduce impact forces and wear.

Best Regards

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:13:34 pm »
Not too shabby  =)

Hey, thanks  ;)

A few suggestions...

- The larger Gear is crooked,  and may wear / skip / break teeth as a result.   Also, Hot Glue may not hold it well, for the long haul.

Yeah. I know the Y axis 60 tooth gear is a Little bit off but it has limited motion range and works pretty well. I didn't use hot glue. With some parts I used Epoxy-glue, but always in conjuntion with screws. All of the Gears are screwed to their shafts. The jelly-like thing that you see on the pictures is actually silicone grease, concretely "Shin-Etsu G-40M".   

I would also recommend rubber bumpers,  on the Y-Axis... to reduce impact forces and wear.

It already has rubber bumpers like the original yoke. I'll post more detailed pics later...

Thanks for your sugestions. It's always a good thing to improve a design. I know that I could improve my yoke a bit but after so many hours of work, I'm a little bit tired and only want to finish it. I'll post some videos once finished

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:45:20 am »
Hmmm im not seeing an pictures!?

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 01:01:50 pm »
Not too shabby  =)

Hey, thanks  ;)

A few suggestions...

Yeah. I know the Y axis 60 tooth gear is a Little bit off but it has limited motion range and works pretty well. I didn't use hot glue. With some parts I used Epoxy-glue, but always in conjuntion with screws. All of the Gears are screwed to their shafts. The jelly-like thing that you see on the pictures is actually silicone grease, concretely "Shin-Etsu G-40M".   

It already has rubber bumpers like the original yoke. I'll post more detailed pics later...

Thanks for your sugestions. It's always a good thing to improve a design. I know that I could improve my yoke a bit but after so many hours of work, I'm a little bit tired and only want to finish it. I'll post some videos once finished

Ohh... I totally forgot... one VERY IMPORTANT thing!

You NEED to angle the handles inwards at a diagonal slant.

Long ago,  I had built my own yoke... and I had decided to use vertical handles... to reduce complexity.
 Seemed fine... until I tried to play a game of Starwars...  >_<

Turns out... that your wrists do not have much vertical travel... and it was painfully straining my wrists,  when trying to go to the full extents of the axis.
 But,  if you angle your wrists slightly... you get far more travel... and no wrist pains.

So... that is why they made the SW yoke handles at an angle.

This would not be easy to use your chosen mounting method.   Unless... you put a diagonally cut spacer block between the mounts and the handles.

I also had to rebuild my own yoke handles using a similar method...  attaching a diagonal spacer to the handles.    After that... everything was golden.

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 07:22:20 pm »
Ohh... I totally forgot... one VERY IMPORTANT thing!

Long ago,  I had built my own yoke... and I had decided to use vertical handles... to reduce complexity.
 Seemed fine... until I tried to play a game of Starwars...  >_<

Turns out... that your wrists do not have much vertical travel... and it was painfully straining my wrists,  when trying to go to the full extents of the axis.
 But,  if you angle your wrists slightly... you get far more travel... and no wrist pains.

So... that is why they made the SW yoke handles at an angle.

This would not be easy to use your chosen mounting method.   Unless... you put a diagonally cut spacer block between the mounts and the handles.

I also had to rebuild my own yoke handles using a similar method...  attaching a diagonal spacer to the handles.    After that... everything was golden.

Ok. Thanks  ;)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:46:22 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:25 pm »
Agreed.

Took several masurements and it looks like the SW yoke handles were angled inward about 12-14 degrees.

Scott

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 08:35:07 pm »
Ok. The Yoke is now finished to a 95%. The only things missing are the cover and the decals...

As promised, here are some pics:

Although not clear on the pics, yes: the handles are angled  :)

Side view:

Open side:

Front:

Top:

And here some videos:

Test 1:

Test 2, playing Star Wars:

Sorry for my terrible gameplay, I know I'm not very good at it, but I have to admit that playing Star Wars with a Yoke makes the Game more enjoyable  ;D

The control feels very sturdy and smooth. I did use 5k pots, rubber bumpers, nylon spacers and the same torsion springs as the original yoke, so in theory it should feel (near) the same, but cause I never tried an original one, I can't really tell...

Here's a small list of some components used to build the Yoke:

-10mm (or 1/2") and 19mm (3/4") MDF
-2pcs 19mm Flange Pipe Bracket 29mm (I.e. from Aliexpress)
-4pcs 20mm KFL004 Pillow Block Flange Ball Bearings (I.e. from Aliexpress)
-19mm (3/4") T-molding
-4x Round Cabinet Instrument Case Foot Circular Rubber Feet Bumpers Black #RF08 (EBay)
-3x M20 x 37 x 3mm THK Nylon Washers HEAT TREATED (EBay)
-ShinEtsu G-40M Silicone Grease (Or similar)
-2x 5K Pots
-2x & 2x Atari Star Wars replacement springs (ArcadeFixit.com)
-Screws (Various sizes)
-L-Brackets
-1x Microsoft SideWinder Dual strike Joystick Controller.

By the way:

I hacked a SideWinder Dual strike, but instead of using the D-Pad buttons I modified the Button Board (1-4), soldering some cables in order to avoid the issues some people are having with the original hack due to some games or emus not capable of mapping the D-pad inputs as fire/action buttons.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:31:55 pm by Sky25es »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 10:34:48 pm »
Ok. The Yoke is now finished...

You have earned your stars. Now someone needs to toughen up and simplify the design some and market them.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 10:44:54 pm »
What did it run you in materials?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 10:53:12 pm »
You have earned your stars. Now someone needs to toughen up and simplify the design some and market them.

Thanks.  :)

The design isn't too complicated, if someone wants to build one, just ask me and I'll be glad to help, but yes: someone could buy the components  in bulk and sell the Yokes at an affordable price with a reasonable profit margin...

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 11:08:06 pm »
What did it run you in materials?

I can't give you an exact amount, but it's around 180 or 190 bucks. You can save a lot of money if you buy other handles instead of the Suzo/Happ ones and if you can find some cheaper springs (The handles & springs alone did cost me over 90 $)

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:32 pm »
Looks great!

Going by your YouTube video though i think you need to up the sensitivity of the cross hair on screen, that thing zips around on a proper arcade machine

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 05:08:45 pm »
Looks great!

Going by your YouTube video though i think you need to up the sensitivity of the cross hair on screen, that thing zips around on a proper arcade machine

Hmm... you're probably right...
Does anyone know the correct "analog" settings (for the Yoke) in MAME ?

pixel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:11 am »
Actually,  besides possibly needing to be fully calibrated in windows...

Many Arcade games in mame,  have their own special calibration routines... in the service mode.

In StarWars,  I believe its one of the special games,  that Auto-Calibrate.   When the game starts up.... move the yoke in all directions to the fullest point it will move,  about 3 times each...   and by then... the game should have figured it out and mapped things properly.

Furthermore... if the Pots are not centered at the right points... they could physically break,   and or might not read in-game past a certain point.

Also ... if the pot is Audio Taper (ex:  1,2,3,10,50,100)   instead of Linear  (EX:  1,2,3,4,5,6)... the results will be problematic.

Sadly,  I do not think that Mame has been very good about documenting actual controls,  settings,  and readings of the controls...
couple that with actual windows polling rates,  custom joystick drivers,  and other issues... may further complicate Arcade-Accurate replication of Inputs.