Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Write up on the New Magenta Stick from Paradise  (Read 3085 times)

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Write up on the New Magenta Stick from Paradise
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »
I feel like it's been a while since we had some new joystick hardware action... this looks very similar to the U360's. Interested to see if anyone has yet to try these?

http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/18/shoryuken-preview-paradise-arcade-shops-magenta-could-be-most-customizable-lever-ever-created/

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Write up on the New Magenta Stick from Paradise
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:02:50 am »
Looks interesting, I would not want to drop £100 on one without some extensive play time first though.

I can see where the price comes from though to be fair.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:25:51 pm »
Setup mapping app looks interesting.  If it can't swap maps automatically at game launch it would be a non-starter for me.

Funny how there is not a single mention of the Ultrastik in that article.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 12:31:08 pm »
"Lever?"  WTF.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 03:45:22 pm »
I chuckled when I saw that you can attach microswitches to it so you can have the "feel and sound" of a clicky stick.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 04:38:33 pm »
Setup mapping app looks interesting.  If it can't swap maps automatically at game launch it would be a non-starter for me.

Funny how there is not a single mention of the Ultrastik in that article.

I thought that was funny too...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 09:54:08 pm »
You're not understanding. This stick measures in radians. At six times the resolution of the U360.

This means you're not restricted to a grid. Diagonals have the same volume of space as cardinal directions = diagonals are as easy to reach as cardinal directions (pokes Randy at GGG). Division between directions is a straight line, rather than stepped. And it is more responsive than any stick ever made - with the exception of any analog design (pot-based, or the original hall effect design).

A stick shaft moves in an arc, and the Magenta tracks it 'natively'. This is what the U360 should have been capable of at least within a year of roll-out, and is probably the answer to why it hasn't been embraced by the shmup and fight stick communities. I don't know why Paradise Arcade designed the Magenta with those communities in mind, but it is the joystick for the emulation community. I assume software map change on the fly is a trivial matter, if not already feasible but not showcased. If so, and if they can get the cost down to $70, Andy at Ultimarc may be scrambling to re-fit the U360. Which still won't be as accurate as the Magenta, due to the sensor design.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:15:08 pm by Mr. Peabody »

strblast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2018, 07:44:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 02:21:44 am »
I had to take the U360. I may be waiting  ???

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 03:38:26 am »
Which part of the joystick was magenta?  :dunno
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 12:12:23 pm »
I chuckled when I saw that you can attach microswitches to it so you can have the "feel and sound" of a clicky stick.

I liked the part where it says that you "can tell exactly where your shaft is at all times". Seems pretty important to me! LOL.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:42:59 pm »
You're not understanding. This stick measures in radians. At six times the resolution of the U360.

This means you're not restricted to a grid. Diagonals have the same volume of space as cardinal directions = diagonals are as easy to reach as cardinal directions (pokes Randy at GGG). Division between directions is a straight line, rather than stepped. And it is more responsive than any stick ever made - with the exception of any analog design (pot-based, or the original hall effect design).

A stick shaft moves in an arc, and the Magenta tracks it 'natively'. This is what the U360 should have been capable of at least within a year of roll-out, and is probably the answer to why it hasn't been embraced by the shmup and fight stick communities. I don't know why Paradise Arcade designed the Magenta with those communities in mind, but it is the joystick for the emulation community. I assume software map change on the fly is a trivial matter, if not already feasible but not showcased. If so, and if they can get the cost down to $70, Andy at Ultimarc may be scrambling to re-fit the U360. Which still won't be as accurate as the Magenta, due to the sensor design.

Thanks for the clarification! It looks like a great option for mame!

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 10:21:24 pm »
I was at Paradise Arcade Shop two weeks ago and seen this stick. Its pretty impressive.