Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help in configuring Pedal controls in MAME racing games?  (Read 7613 times)

tylerwerrin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2022, 02:16:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help in configuring Pedal controls in MAME racing games?
« on: August 21, 2017, 04:50:00 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been trying to get some racing games working with my Logitech GP Force steering wheel with mixed results. I can get Outrun to (sorta) work, but I can't get Crusin' USA and many others to work with the pedals.

I set Pedal 1 to Accelerator, Pedal 2 to Brake.

However, nothing happens when I press on the pedals - in Crusin' USA, the cars just sit there. If I press Brake, the engines rev. I think the game thinks I'm trying to Reverse when I press brake, but all combinations of pedal on INC and DEC for both Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 won't make the car budge.

In Outrun, I was able to fudge it by setting Pedal 1 to Accelerator, INC to Pedal 1, DEC to Pedal 2. I then did the inverse of that for Pedal 2. However, this still isn't totally correct because if I let off the gas, the car actually brakes, as opposed to coasting.

Is there another setting that I need to play around with in MAME? Is my approach incorrect?

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 01:14:45 am
  • Yes, I really am still working on it!
Re: Help in configuring Pedal controls in MAME racing games?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:16:56 pm »
I have all of those games working with my Logitech - I forget what wheel it is but it's very popular and several years old. Force Pro or something like that.

When using a wheel, delete any controls in MAME that you have set for INC and DEC. You just want the wheel or pedals. I hear it screws things up but not positive on that.

Anyways, I'd have to connect the wheel to my machine to know for sure, which I can do later, but I think for some MAME games the gas and brake ended up being swapped in the games control setup. I set the brake with the accelerator and the gas pedal was set to be the brake. They work fine with that. In some games where you need to hit the gas pedal to select your car, you have to hit the brake instead. Not sure why.

It will make a difference whether or not you have the brake and gas set as "linked"(?) or not in the game controller setup in your OS.

Honestly, I've gone through some confusion too, and if I can get the wheel plugged in later maybe it will jog my memory. I've had the accelerator work in reverse then later it's fine. But I unplug the wheel a lot so maybe that's why. ?

For California Speed (and most of these games), I had to adjust the dead zone and another setting right next to it in the INI file (sorry man I can't remember any of the names right now, I'm swamped!!! Hopefully you know what I mean) and sensitivity settings in MAME under analog controls. It's a pain in the ass for some games. I find Cali Speed to be playable but I don't like the way it steers much. VR Racing works very well.

Sorry for the lack of details here. Hopefully I can help more later. I have the wheel working for all the games that I want it to. VR Racing, F1 Super Lap, Out Run, Road Riot, a few dozen maybe. It's doable.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:19:47 pm by DaredevilDave »
"Computer Space" (1st coin-op game ever) for MAME Front Ends Available Now!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155041.0.html

My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html

tylerwerrin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:25:46 pm »
I'll check out if the pedals are "linked" in their setup - they very well could be, and if that is the case it would explain what the issue is.

Thanks! I'll report back once I test. I've been able to get Virtua Racing working (somehow), but the brakes don't work - it's the same situation as with Outrun though - no braking, just gas works.

tylerwerrin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 05:33:26 pm »
Also, were you able to get Force Feedback to work with the wheel at all, via MameHooker? I haven't tried yet, but if you have any secrets on how to get it working, i'll jump into that next.

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:55:00 pm »
I use FFB with Model 2 and PC games but haven't tried it with MAME.

I can't remember how I have my pedals set. Maybe it's "combined axes" and not linked? Well anyways I guess you know what I mean ;)

Whatever the setting, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But it works. I think I do have them combined.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:00:48 pm by DaredevilDave »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:34:49 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:56:10 am »
I'll check out if the pedals are "linked" in their setup - they very well could be, and if that is the case it would explain what the issue is.

Thanks! I'll report back once I test. I've been able to get Virtua Racing working (somehow), but the brakes don't work - it's the same situation as with Outrun though - no braking, just gas works.

Here's a video I made that should help:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:38:43 pm »
Read the MAME section of the driving cab info thread (the one that says "Beginners start here")  stickied in the driving/racing subforum:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,55.0.html

Never map anything to INC and DEC unless you're using pushbuttons instead of analog controls.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:41:27 pm by BadMouth »

tylerwerrin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:26:08 pm »
Thanks for the video and the link to the driving cab setup section! I think this will do the trick - going to check it out tonight.

tylerwerrin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:02 pm »
the video & sticky solved my racing issue - Crusin USA/World required the additional step of pedal calibration to get everything working, but works great now.

thanks!

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »

Here's a video I made that should help:

[/quote]

Thank you for this! I thought the "+" sign in the controls referred to something else, that is awesome information!

curtis-r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2020, 08:13:47 pm
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 07:30:58 pm »
Old thread, but this video helped me a TON!  Built a MAME cab with a repurposed Pole Position pedal and routinely have issues.  Had no idea about the -/+ z-axis setting.  Thanks.