Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RetroArch Vulkan Problem  (Read 5895 times)

DentonClone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2017, 09:31:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
RetroArch Vulkan Problem
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:30:43 am »
First off, a big thanks to Calamity for developing CRT Emudriver and providing such amazing support.

After getting my CRT Emudriver 2.0/GroovyMAME Arcade PC working I thought I'd see if I could get that wonderful CRT goodness working with RetroArch. Sure enough after some configuration from this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=138062.40 it's running beautifully.

The problem I'm having though is with the Vulkan renderer. I'm hoping to use it specifically for PS1 games and the Beetle PSX HW core's PGXP features. The problem is unless I'm on the latest drivers RetroArch won't start. That's a problem since the CRT Emudriver is based on an older driver version.

I've installed the Vulkan runtime separately as suggested in this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=154557.0 According to a view tools I've found Vulkan is indeed installed and can run properly.

I'm unsure if it's the driver itself or a combination of the current card I'm using and the old drivers. Unfortunately I don't have a newer Radeon card on hand to test the idea.

The card I'm using is a Radeon HD 7700 which is the oldest card with Vulkan support. Would updating to a newer card possibly get this setup working or would it be all in the drivers?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: RetroArch Vulkan Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:05:12 pm »
I can't help you with this right now. In a few months hopefully I'll have time for an updated release of the Emudriver. In the meantime you can try using latest official driver and Pakoman's method for GM without CRT Emudriver (search the forum). You'll probably mess the GM side of your setup, so unless PSX is so so important to you right now I'd wait for the new release.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Ya Dad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2020, 11:53:57 pm
  • 240p master res
    • McleodGaming
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 01:21:03 pm »
Good thing I found this thread. I was excited to try the ParaLLEl n64 core with RetroArch in 15khz 240p on my SD CRT with EmuDriver and was about to follow that same thread you found about installing the Vulcan drivers separately. Glad I didn't now. We'll just have to wait for the next version of CRT EmuDriver.

BahnYuki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2020, 12:07:20 am
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 02:59:44 pm »
Has this been addressed? I just picked up a R7 250 and it supposedly has Vulkan support in Crimson drivers 16.3 onward. Unfortunately the CRTEmudriver is based on 16.2.1 which makes Vulkan unusable on my GPU. If there is an updated driver please let me know because I've don't some searching on this site and the official site and have yet to see an update to the driver itself.

DT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 07:28:28 am
  • 240p4Life
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:16:40 am »
First of all, if Calamity, if you read this: You are a hero! Thanks for everything you are doing for the CRT community!  :notworthy:

So... i have the same problem as everyone else, except right now we have a much more recent driver under the CRT Emudriver.

I built an emulator pc mostly to play PS1 games with all the awesome enhancements, including higher resolution rendering downsampled to native 240p.

Unfortunately this function only works with Vulkan, and Retroarch instantly crashes if i select that driver option.

My config is: R9 270X (fully Vulkan compatible), Win 10x64, CRT Emudriver 2.0 Beta 15 Adrenalin 18 version.

Is there any hope this will work any time in the future?

What's up with this "separate Vulkan runtime installer"? I can't find anything like that.

Any tips/help is appreciated!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 05:03:10 am »
For Vulkan support, you need to install a separate Vulkan package, I uploaded it to the project's drive.

If the installer fails and complains about requiring "AMD Catalyst Install Manager", then follow this procedure:

- Uninstall CRT Emudriver.
- Install the official AMD's driver full package (18.5.1)
- Now, install CRT Emudriver over the official driver.

Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

DT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 07:28:28 am
  • 240p4Life
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 03:31:05 pm »
IT WORKS!  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

A never would have tought that i can install the emudriver on the top of the much newer one!

I messed up everything else while setting this up, lost my custom resolutions, etc, but worth it!  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you very much!

Yuke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2020, 07:05:20 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 12:27:36 pm »
IT WORKS!  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

A never would have tought that i can install the emudriver on the top of the much newer one!

I messed up everything else while setting this up, lost my custom resolutions, etc, but worth it!  ;D ;D ;D

Thank you very much!

Hello, do you mind posting a link to the Driver? I cant seem to find the right one and always get the prompt to install AMD Catalyst yadda yadda...

Thanks in advance

I run a R7 240 on Win7x64 if thats any help...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:58:09 pm by Yuke »

Yuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 01:16:54 pm »
I found a 18.5.1 driver, its not a Catalyst driver tho. When i install this Adrenalin driver i get the message the "AMD Catalyst Manager is missing" message when trying to install the VulkanRT.msi file.

Yuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 07:05:19 am »
Hello, sorry for the spam but i really cant figure it out.

I got my files from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5iMjDor3P__OGVGNmR1dzhiZms and from official AMD site

- crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_15_18.5.1_W.7-64

- VulkanRT64.7z

- Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-18.5.1-May23

My Hardware is R7 240 with Vulcan 1.0 support running on Win7x64

What am i doing wrong?

First i installed the official Driver (with and without Re-Live)

Next i installed CRTEmuDriver

and then i tried installing Vulcan via the VulcanRT.msi file and always get the message that Catalyst center is missing.

Anyone could clarify installation process for me? I would really appreciate it.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 03:00:22 pm »
Hi Yuke,

You don't need to install VulkanRT.msi when you install CRT Emudriver over the full Adrenaline installation. I provided that file so that the whole Adrenaline package was not required but it seems it doesn't work for most people. Vulkan is already installed with the Adrenaline package.
Steps to create a log:

Yuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 05:32:32 pm »
Hi Yuke,

You don't need to install VulkanRT.msi when you install CRT Emudriver over the full Adrenaline installation. I provided that file so that the whole Adrenaline package was not required but it seems it doesn't work for most people. Vulkan is already installed with the Adrenaline package.

Hi Calamity, thanks for the answer!

I was able to start the GUI with Vulkan as a video driver now but my Beetle PSX HW emulator crashes when loading a game. Not sure if i did something wrong (software mode works as usual but i cant reach the bloody 60fps) ... i checked vulkaninfo.exe and it should be indeed installed now.

I should have invested more money on the bloody CPU so i could have just run everything in software *sigh*

cyb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 04:25:20 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 05:53:55 pm »
Sorry if this seems obvious but do you have the PSX bios in the proper folder? I know retroarch will crash immediately if the bios isn't present.

Yuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 10:43:21 am »
Sorry if this seems obvious but do you have the PSX bios in the proper folder? I know retroarch will crash immediately if the bios isn't present.

Hi! I deleted the Retroarch-Core cfg and it works now for whatever reason....The PSX logo is not resi switching properly tho (my resi switching got a bit wonky after i upgraded to the new beta15 driver in general...not sure whats going on). Games are working from what i could see in the short amount of time.

In Software the PS1 Logo is displayed properly..so the resolution should be installed....

Edit for clarification: When switching between Videos and In-Game footage there is a small hickup happening ... like it needs several steps to resi switch to the proper resolution and aspect ratio
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:48:27 am by Yuke »

Yuke

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 11:27:08 am »
Wow performance with Vulkan is so good....can even run Metroid Prime with Dolphin now. Sadly i still have those weird black bars at the side of the screen when playing GC games. Have to always fix it via the service menu of my CRT. Dont know if its a cropping issue or something, cant find anything in the Option menu.

Anyways, good job implementing Vulkan :D