Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help Adding a 4-way Stick to My Control Panel  (Read 3960 times)

lovespicyfood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 12:37:08 am
Help Adding a 4-way Stick to My Control Panel
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:39:26 pm »
I have a Dream Arcade Vision 32 I purchased off Craigslist a few months ago and would like to add the ability to play 4 way games like Ms. Pac Man and Donkey Kong.

I purchased the joystick restrictor from North Coast Custom Arcades thinking this would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately, they are too big and hit the buttons.  I figured I'd build a new control panel moving the buttons over just enough to fit the restrictor.  For someone that is not a woodworker, though this is about as easy as it gets, I really wasn't hip on this solution...

Now I'm thinking I can fit a GroovyGameGear Pac-Pro 4 way though it is tight tight tight.  See pics.

What do you think?  Do you think it'll work well in this position?

I'm also pretty confused on what I'd need to wire this joystick in...  Looks like I have a MiniPac.  Do I need to buy something else?  I'm guessing I just need to wire it in w/ Joystick 1?

Thanks in advance for your help!  This is the first phase of my upgrades...  Next up is a new desktop and I want to trash this old front end from Dream Arcades...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Help Adding a 4-way Stick to My Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:29:46 am »
Can you not trim down the edges of the restrictor to fit?

Other option look at getting a swappable stick that you can change between 4/8 way.

I think adding a extra stick in that panel would be ill advised tbh.

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:17:12 am »
Unfortunately, I can't trim the restrictor plate...

I thought it would be good to get a switchable 4&8 way stick but it seems they all only switch front the bottom?  So I would have to open up the panel every time...

I believe there was a couple sticks switchable.  One from the top but I think it had  to be mounted on the top of the control panel.  I believed eve the other was a "pull and twist" but I think they no longer make them!?

Appreciate all the advice to help a newbie!  Keep them coming!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
The pull and twist one is the mag stick plus.

Still made and I have them on my mame machine :)

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 05:25:21 pm »
Appreciate the repliy. Seems these joysticks are highly valued in 4 way mode but many claim they struggle in 8 way mode with the short throw.  Robotron is one of my favorites so this lends me pause...

Seems the Ultrastik is well regarded but doesn't switch?

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 07:08:26 pm »
It depends on what you want:  4-way feel, or just 4-way functionality.  The Ultrastick switches via software and can auto-switch at launch with LEDblinky.  That's how I have it set up but it does not change the feel of it.  You can also get physical restrictors for the Ultrastick and I think there are both above and below mount, but I have not tried them.  I'm happy enough with software restriction for a cabinet with a variety of games.  I'll probably build something separate more dedicated to 2/4 way in the future. 

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:58:38 pm »
It depends on what you want:  4-way feel, or just 4-way functionality.  The Ultrastick switches via software and can auto-switch at launch with LEDblinky.  That's how I have it set up but it does not change the feel of it.  You can also get physical restrictors for the Ultrastick and I think there are both above and below mount, but I have not tried them.  I'm happy enough with software restriction for a cabinet with a variety of games.  I'll probably build something separate more dedicated to 2/4 way in the future.

Thanks for the reply...  In my book, functionality over feel...though feel is important!  I just don't want to hit a "dead spot" in 4-way mode...that would drive me crazy and it's the reason why I don't play 4-way games on my 8-way sticks...  with these thoughts in mind, I think a restrictor plate is a necessity in my case...

I do have to say that I hated the trak ball that came with my arcade at first...but now I love it...  At work we have a 412-1 machine and I don't know what brand the trak ball it has but I HATE IT.

It does seem the simplest move for me is to replace the joysticks I have with a 4-way/8-way selectable unit...question is...which one?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 01:55:59 am »
That is the ultimate question and its down to you really.

I like my mag sticks the throw is short, but its also snappy and responsive.
Took a little getting used to if ime honest as I had Happs before that but they are like anything else, get used to them and they work fine.

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 09:36:58 am »
I think I am leaning towards the Mag Stik Plus.  Only concern is they don't sell an extended shaft and I think I have a 3/4" cp.  how hard is it to route the recommended 1/2" out?  I have a good Hitachi router, never used.  Guessing I don't have to be precise in the area routed out as the hole for the present joystick will be the guide for mounting?  Should I buy the joystick mounting bolts?  Seems the current joysticks are screwed directly in...

Thanks again for the advice!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:06:15 pm »
Yeah just route out some of the back, just need to make the recess a bit bigger than the stick mounting plate.

As for mounting you can either screw it from bellow, use coach bolts, or you can get threaded inserts which screw into the wood then use bolts to mount.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 12:18:44 pm »
There is no dead zone on the Ultrastik, you just cant feel the "snap" on the sides. 

Have you looked at Servostiks?  I haven't tried them personally, but it would allow auto switching without opening up the hood.

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 01:12:31 pm »
Yeah just route out some of the back, just need to make the recess a bit bigger than the stick mounting plate.

As for mounting you can either screw it from bellow, use coach bolts, or you can get threaded inserts which screw into the wood then use bolts to mount.

Hmmm...noticed the mounting rails on the ends of the control panel will get in the way of my router.  Appears to be 3/4" x 3/4", it is stapled in place, wish it was screwed in...  ugh...  suppose I could figure something out but more complicated than I wanted...

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 01:16:37 pm »
There is no dead zone on the Ultrastik, you just cant feel the "snap" on the sides. 

Have you looked at Servostiks?  I haven't tried them personally, but it would allow auto switching without opening up the hood.

I was looking at the Servostiks....kinda pricey but looking for the easiest solution...

Ugh decisions...

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 04:12:22 pm »
Easiest solution. Make a dedicated 4 way joystick box with 3 buttons and wire in a connector on the front to plug into :) should be able to do it with a 9 pin connector. Leave the bottom of the box hollow, put some rubber feet.  When you want to play 4 way game put it over the trackball.  Center of the screen should play nice and its not going to be in the way at all. 

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 12:54:02 am »
Okay, after much deliberation and bad typing/grammar- don't use your phone to answer forum posts - I bit the bullet and purchased a couple ServoStiks...

Now let's hope I figure a way to route the underside of my control panel effectively...

Next up is a new desktop and then the machine should be set...

Sky25es

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 05:19:21 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 10:52:54 pm »
You can also combine a servostick upgrade kit with the U360. I did that already and it works flawlessly.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 12:31:14 am »
Really?  That sounds interesting.  Is there a tutorial somewhere?

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 01:40:50 am »
Got my Servostiks and guess what?  No need to route the panel!  I am really happy about that!

Also got a refurbished i5 system with an SSD.  Going to put Launchbox/BigBox on it...

Mauxe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2021, 01:10:30 am
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »
This is a few months old but I am wondering how you like those Servostiks?
I have been thinking about going the same route to get a good feel for both 4 and 8-way.