Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need a professionals help  (Read 1518 times)

Egg151

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2017, 06:20:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need a professionals help
« on: August 20, 2017, 12:01:31 pm »
Hi my name is Alex, and I have recently bought an arcade cabinet that I was looking to restore and modify.
Keep In mind that I don't have too much experience with small electronics, but I do have basic electricity knowledge. ( I am a HVAC service tech).\
The old Arcade cabinet has a jamma harness that I will be replacing.(I attached a file to this thread showing the jamma harness that's currently in the cabinet).

All I want to know is will replacing the old jamma harness  to this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/121753778577

I am also connecting a RGB to VGA converter board to this Jamma harness will that also work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/162290536063

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Need a professionals help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:22 pm »
Jamma harnesses are standard. If what you have is Jamma, it should work (and be labelled right). Some older cabs, pre 1986 or so, used edge connectors with different pinouts, so it would pay to double-check. Count the pins if you need to and try to figure out what each one is for, vs the jamma standard.

As for the video converter - what are you trying to do? That thing is pretty standard for taking a 15kHz arcade board signal and turn it into a VGA signal. So you're using a VGA monitor, not the cab's original 15kHz one?

Egg151

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2017, 06:20:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply butter soft, Well basically I'm trying to use the tv that is inside the arcade machine as a monitor for a computer that I'm using.
The computer that I'm using has a vga 5000 graphics card that I bough, and it has vga input. I'm assuming I need the converter to do that no? or can I just cut the video wired from the jamma harness, and soder them into a vga male adapter?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »
The computer that I'm using has a vga 5000 graphics card that I bough, and it has vga input. I'm assuming I need the converter to do that no? or can I just cut the video wired from the jamma harness, and soder them into a vga male adapter?

An ArcadeVGA 5000? Input? Output? Converter to do what? To convert the signal from what to what? I wouldn't recommend cutting anything, or indeed even connecting anything to anything until you're sure you know what you want to do, what you're expecting to happen, and why.

I wrote out a guide a few months ago to try and clarify some of this, but i can't confirm what monitor you have - http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/87668-A-guide-to-connecting-your-Windows-PC-to-an-SD-CRT-TV-PVM-or-Arcade-Monitor

And before you start, remember that a CRT can be dangerous. You need to figure out how to be safe around one, and possibly how to discharge one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:26:58 pm by buttersoft »