Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tempest X (psx Windows emulator) - how to invert x axis with a mouse/spinner  (Read 2352 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:30:12 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
So you can play Tempest X with a mouse if you have a playstation mouse. It works in emulators when you select mouse controls, but the X-axis is flipped compared to my Groovy Game Gear spinner. Does anyone know of an easy way to flip the X axis of the spinner so that the movement in Tempest X will be correct? So far, I haven't found a way to do so.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:59:10 pm by KenToad »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Tempest X (playstation) with a mouse/spinner
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 06:04:02 pm »
Does anyone know of an easy way to flip the X axis of the spinner so that the movement in Tempest X will be correct?
I wouldn't say it's an easy solution, but I think you can do an easily reversable hardware mod involving a DPDT switch on an extender cable.

When you flip the switch, the data lines are swapped and the spinner moves the cursor in the opposite direction.   ;D

Obligatory reminder from Randy to make absolutely certain you get the pinout right.
A word of caution using a cable like that:  Don't assume the Red and Black are power and ground on third party cable assemblies.  The signals must be matched properly to the spinner inputs/outputs, or damage to the spinner will result.

1. Start with the TT2 compatible female cable here and the male equivalent cable (or this connector) that mates with it.  It's a 5-pin Molex Picoblade according to this post.
  or
Get a 5-pin Molex Picoblade extender cable.

2. Connect the 5v and ground lines straight through.

3. Use euro-style terminals to splice in a DPDT switch to swap the data lines like I did for the buttons on KADESTICK.

Scott

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:30:12 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Thanks so much! Unfortunately, I don't think it's worth modding the hardware for a single game, but it is a good idea if I get desperate.  :cheers:

As an aside, has anyone ever gotten a PC spinner like the TurboTwist to work on any version or port of Tempest 2000? Jag emulation was still really lackluster in terms of features, at least last time I checked.