Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: what bracket could hack it?  (Read 3360 times)

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:28:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
what bracket could hack it?
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »
Sorry for the title,

But I am looking at transplanting a big Sony CRT into a Gauntlet Legends Showcase cabinet.  The Tube will fit, and I can use the brackets that are holding it to the plastic shell, but their outside edges are just a teeeeny bit smaller than the width of the cabinet's monitor enclosure.

I won't be able to use the stock bracket in the cab though, as its holes are about 1.14" too narrow, its one piece and doesn't adjust, I could cut it in half with a dremel cutting wheel, and then double down on bolts to reinforce, but I am afraid that route might be prone to failure.

Is there a bracket store where I could browse for the right one?
  or could I maybe make something else.  The side clearance between the tube's mounting plates outer edge and the cabinet interior is seriously about 1/8" on either side so I don't know if mounting side rails is the best option either (plus I don't know if I like putting bolts through the side art)

any opionions would be great!  thanks!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: what bracket could hack it?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:22:22 pm »
the monitor that came out of the cabinet originally would have a mounting bracket attached to the tube that mounts to the bracket in the cabinet.

the tube has a permanent band bracket "ears" that are affixed to the tube. Do not modify this part, it is a structural part of the tube, damaging or removing it can cause it to implode.

these ears mount to a bracket frame that holds the electronics and whatnot... that is in turn, mounted to another bracket inside the cabinet. (bracket on a bracket.)

you need this middle bracket to transfer to your new tube to make it fit on the cabinet's bracket.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:57 pm »
the monitor that came out of the cabinet originally would have a mounting bracket attached to the tube that mounts to the bracket in the cabinet.

the tube has a permanent band bracket "ears" that are affixed to the tube. Do not modify this part, it is a structural part of the tube, damaging or removing it can cause it to implode.

these ears mount to a bracket frame that holds the electronics and whatnot... that is in turn, mounted to another bracket inside the cabinet. (bracket on a bracket.)

you need this middle bracket to transfer to your new tube to make it fit on the cabinet's bracket.
Thanks!

Hmm, are there any good sources for the middle bracket of a custom size?

What about carefully drilling holes in the "ears" on the new tube a little closer to the screen than the original holes to match my current "middle bracket" ?  That was the best plan I thought I had come up with so far, but too risky?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:44:33 pm »
    Hobart makes a nice entry level flux core welder, just perfect for a job like that. ;)

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »
    Hobart makes a nice entry level flux core welder, just perfect for a job like that. ;)

In a perfect world  :-\

jury is still out on drilling new holes in the screens "ears"?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:54:30 pm »
     Learn to make what you need and your perception of the world will change,... * Fun story, I grew up in a body shop, (yes explains a lot right?) But anyway learned to weld very young. and found it the only practical solution in terms of creativity, I have recently gotten into TIG, but that's a whole different story (custom stainless on a pin build) .... For your project, go look at one at a bracket at the store, take some measurements and do it right, It will still be bolted bracket on bracket like L/shawn has said ,only it will be done correctly.... (IMO) ;)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:58:41 pm »
I think as long as you don't have to damage the band around the tube, it should be okay.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:04 pm »
     Learn to make what you need and your perception of the world will change,... * Fun story, I grew up in a body shop, (yes explains a lot right?) But anyway learned to weld very young. and found it the only practical solution in terms of creativity, I have recently gotten into TIG, but that's a whole different story (custom stainless on a pin build) .... For your project, go look at one at a bracket at the store, take some measurements and do it right, It will still be bolted bracket on bracket like L/shawn has said ,only it will be done correctly.... (IMO) ;)

Yeah I think they would kick me out of my apartment building if they caught me welding in it but I agree if I CAN make something and it saves me time, money or both I'm all for it. But unfortunately getting a welder kit is kinda off the table for me at this point.

Shawn, thanks again man, if we ever meet up beers are on me, Jessica you get beers too. Thanks guys I probably won't do the swap for a bit but I'll post pics