Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver Issue From MAME to Other Emulator via Hyperspin and Rlauncher  (Read 3317 times)

krazyscotsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2017, 11:16:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thanks to Krick, I was able to get GroovyMAME working on my Windows 7 64 bit, AMD R7 360, WG 9810 CRT using Hyperspin as the FE and RocketLauncher as the emulator launcher. I am having a very strange issue that I think maybe CRT Emudriver related. My guess is Emudriver is not going back to desktop default setting 640x480. I will explain what's going on.

GroovyMAME is working great launching from Hyperspin via Rlauncher. I can hear the monitor changing resolutions and everything is smooth. However, when I exit GroovyMAME, go back into Hyperspin, and launch a new emulator the emulator works but it's in some strange rectangle resolution something like 200H x 300V or something. I tried several including but not limited to Demul 0.7, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaquar, Daphne, etc. The pics show exactly what's going. The emulator plays in that rectangle. If I exit and re-launch GroovyMAME, the game is displayed correctly.

I rebooted the arcade computer and launched Demul 0.7 before launching GroovyMAME; this worked as it should - both Demul 0.7 Virtual Fighter 4 loaded and ran correctly and GroovyMAME games displayed correctly. After running GroovyMAME, I tried launching Sega Saturn which resulted in the rectangle. I exited Sega Saturn and re-launching Demul 0.7 and the same previously working Virtual Fighter 4; this resulted in the rectangle.

So, I can run the other emulators prior to GroovyMAME; but once I run GroovyMAME, the next emulator is displayed in a rectangle. I'm really at a loss. This did not happen running MAME64 on an Nvidia 650 TI. I would love to stay using GroovyMAME with the AMD R7 360, but rebooting to play a different emulator is a bit irritating. I do realize the issue could be with RocketLauncher or Hyperspin not going back to the desktop resolution. I should point out that Hyperspin displays correctly (640x480) after closing out any emulator.

Has anyone see anything like this? I don't know if this is a driver issue or something else. I'm really at a loss at what to try. Please see the below pics of Virtual Fighter 4 (Demul 0.7) working, Asteroids Deluxe (GroovyMAME) working; and WWF Arcade (Sega Saturn) and Virtual Fighter 4 (Demul) running in a rectangle. Should note that also after running GroovyMAME exiting to desktop causes some truly unusable desktop - Everything is squashed together unusable.

Please let me know any thoughts to include it's not CRT Emudrivers and / or not GroovyMAME. I don't have a clue what might cause this.

Thanks for any help.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Mmmmmm... maybe.... Post your location, it could be the interaction with the Earth's magnetic field...

That's my best guess without a log.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

krazyscotsman

• Offline Offline
I see in your signature line the means to generate a log for GroovyMAME. Are logs created for every time a non-MAME emulator is launched? I'll look for them after work and post them.

Thanks.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Only GM will create a log using the line in my signature. That's enough for me to diagnose your GM/Emudriver installation. Besides, that will force you to launch it from command line instead of from an uncertain frontend, so we can discard the side effects introduced by the latter.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

krazyscotsman

• Offline Offline
Calamity - Thanks for the reply. I am attaching a copy of the text. I ran MS Pacman via GroovyMAME and generated the log. I am no expert or even a novice by any means on reading a log. So, please do not assume I'm making any educated guesses about what's happening. However, it seems that at the end, GroovyMAME is restoring the resolution of 2560x288 to the desktop instead of 640x480. I hope you have a chance to review.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
The log is perfectly fine, it's restoring original 288p timings, not setting it to the desktop. Now, how did you run the log? From command line? Was the desktop fine after GM exit?
Steps to create a log:

krazyscotsman

• Offline Offline
I ran it from command line per your signature and your suggestion.

No, desktop was not fine after running GM. It looked like it was crushing the desktop. What I mean is it looked like it was some resolution far greater than 640x480. In fact, I took a screen shot of the desktop. I'm making a bit of a guess because nothing was legible in terms of text and graphics - it looked like if you tried to shove a much higher resolution image into a 640x480 - per screenshot it made the desktop 2560x600. I can take a photo of what it truly looked like if that helps.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:31:38 pm by krazyscotsman »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
When you created the emulated EDID, did you check the box to add the custom modes to the EDID? (you shouldn't)
Steps to create a log:

krazyscotsman

• Offline Offline
I don't recall checking the box to add any custom settings to the emulated EDID. I suppose I may have done so, but I don't believe so. The R7 360 card I have has 2 DVIs ports (DVI-I, DVI-D), 1 Display port, and 1 HDMI. One thing I did do that I didn't mention is during the installation, I had an LCD plugged into the DVI-D and the WG 9810 plugged into the DVI-I. While doing the driver installation, I had the WG powered off. I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with what's going.

As I said, I don't believe I checked any boxes to add to the EDID. Should I delete the folder with the VMaker and drivers, uninstall the CRT_Emudrivers and start over? It is possible that I did do something wrong, but I was following the directions pretty thoroughly.

Thanks for your help on this.

krazyscotsman

• Offline Offline
I reinstalled all the drivers, deleted everything, and completed the entire reinstall process. It worked great. Not sure what was wrong before; but reinstalling fixed the issue.

Thanks Calamity for your assistance. And thank you for the work on the drivers. Truly amazing.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I'm 99% sure the issue was caused by having super resolutions added to the EDID, I've seen similar stuff here when testing that feature, the moral is: only add modes to the EDID that you're ok with Windows arbitrarily picking them as desktop modes. Happy that you fixed it
Steps to create a log:

krazyscotsman

• Offline Offline
Sorry Calamity for the late reply. You were 100% correct. The super resolution was added to the EDID. I reinstalled the drivers and deleted the original folder structure. Everything works great now. Some emulators seem to not work but I'm working through them now. All the MAME/MESS emulation is perfect.

Thank you for the help and the awesome work on the drivers!!!!