Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Model 3 FFB?  (Read 6147 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Model 3 FFB?
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:21:12 pm »
Any progress on interfacing a PC with a model 3 or Naomi FFB wheel?

I have an APAC that I was going to use to power the steering and pedals, but I'd love to use the FFB too. My other option is to not use arcade parts and just rely on my X360 Forza Wheel with its on PC compatible FFB.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Model 3 FFB?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 05:17:27 pm »
Any progress on interfacing a PC with a model 3 or Naomi FFB wheel?

I have an APAC that I was going to use to power the steering and pedals, but I'd love to use the FFB too. My other option is to not use arcade parts and just rely on my X360 Forza Wheel with its on PC compatible FFB.

Just to clarify, do you own a Model 3 *and* a Naomi arcade FFB wheel? If so that's pretty cool. Wanted a Model 3 wheel many many many years ago and remember dreaming about someday owning one to play Daytona 2.

Well, times have changed(drastically and for the better) in wheelsville, and there are much better options out there. If I were you I would sell those Sega wheels on ebay, as well as that X360 Forza wheel, and use the money to buy any one of the various Direct Drive wheels out on the market now.

Prices are continuing to come down and if you're on a budget, I'd go for an OSW, which beats the living ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of any of the arcade FFB wheels Sega has ever put on their cabinets(yes even the Daytona ones), not to mentioned demolishes anything from the likes from Logitech, Thrustmaster or Fanatec.  A DD wheel is on a whole 'nother level and will make the FFB effects from Model 2 and Model 3 games seem like a night and day experience even from the original cabs.  I couldn't BELIVE the FFb I was getting from Daytona the first time I played it with my Bodnar Wheel(another DD wheel option if you wanna spend a bit more). It's like Sega coded the FFB knowing some time in the far future FFB wheel technology would eventually catch up and bring out its full potential, which it has.

F-Zero GX is another mind boggling experience with a DD wheel. Sega probably laughed their asses off when testing that game with the only wheel available for the GameCube at the time...the Logitech SpeedFprce FFB wheel. A mere toy in comparison with even the G27. It's like Sega could see into the future. They knew there'd eventually be much higher quality FFB wheels for PC, and they knew F-Zero GX would emulated some day, so they decided to code the best FFB effects into the game as possible.  :lol

So yeah, if you're after the most arcade authentic FFB wheel experience and one that works natively with every PC game right out the box, a Direct Drive wheel will be your best option by far. You'll be happy you bought one.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 06:04:20 pm »
Yep I've got a osw direct drive wheel for my motion sim and its awesome

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:14 pm »
I could use my Fanatec Forza wheel to play the arcade games with force feed back but I wanted to use arcade controls, thats why I was asking if there was a way to interface the wheel to my Daytona USA 2 machine. My Fanatec wheel works on PC, PS3, and X360 and has belt driven force feedback. Its pretty great but I dont want to butcher it up for my driving cab unless I have no other choice. Its not the crummy 360 wheel by microsoft , I think I spent like $500 on it when I was into iRacing a few years back.

Those Bodnar wheels look baller but its overkill for my application, is there a cost effective method to use the existing force feedback motors?

I have the FFB set up from an Initial D (Naomi), Club Kart (Naomi 2) , Daytona USA 2 (Model 3) and whats left of a Daytona 1 (model 2) dash. Initial D and Daytona 1 have the FFB and the wheel base but no actual wheel. Club Kart is complete, and Daytona 2 is a fully working dedicated cab.

BigPanik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 06:02:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:07:51 am »
I'm still working on a solution. I used an Arduino with custom HID FFB firmware to interface PC with SEGA Model 3 Drive Boards.
Once installed, the wheel is see as a Directx FFB input device.

Have good results for the moment with Daytona USA 2 Drive Board ROM:

Stay tuned...

mickael28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 07:56:15 am
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 12:05:22 am »
Hi guys, just starting learning about wheels. I heard about the direct drive wheels and reached here.

One basic question, is a direct drive wheel and a CSR wheel (like fanatec) the same thing? If not, do you have a good link about what are the differences, or is it easy to explain?

And, what does CSR stand for, does it mean anything?

Thank you!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:53:11 pm »
Hi guys, just starting learning about wheels. I heard about the direct drive wheels and reached here.

One basic question, is a direct drive wheel and a CSR wheel (like fanatec) the same thing? If not, do you have a good link about what are the differences, or is it easy to explain?

And, what does CSR stand for, does it mean anything?

Thank you!

CSR stands for ClubSport-*SOMETHING* I don't remember the last part(rim maybe?). The difference between the CSR and a direct drive wheel is night and day. The CSR use belt driven technology to drive the wheel while a DD Wheel uses a servo motor to and the wheel attaches directly to the shaft of the servo, eliminating the need for belts or gears and just driving the rim from the motor itself. This results a much more refined and detailed feeling in the FFB effects gives you much better control of the car.

Not to mention DD wheels are built like a tank and will last a lifetime, unlike Fanatec's products. It's a worthy investment without question.

If you get a chance I suggest signing up for a subscription to iRacing, so you can get access to their forum. Then proceed to the Hardware forum and search for Direct Drive wheel.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/forums/show/615.page

There is a *MAMMOTH* amount of information on DD wheels and posts from dozens of people asking the same questions as you regarding why they should go for a DD wheel instead of anything from Thrustmaster of Logitech. There is no unfounded hype surround a Direct Drive wheel. It's the real deal my friend.  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 06:50:33 pm »
If you get a chance I suggest signing up for a subscription to iRacing, so you can get access to their forum.

I'd suggest NOT doing that, had to fight with them to get a refund after they charged me for another year of racing after I cancelled months in advance, only ever got a partial refund.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »
If you get a chance I suggest signing up for a subscription to iRacing, so you can get access to their forum.

I'd suggest NOT doing that, had to fight with them to get a refund after they charged me for another year of racing after I cancelled months in advance, only ever got a partial refund.

Whoah....that's wild dude. Glad you glad your money back but damn that's far out. Out of curiosity why did you request a refund? What was it about the service you didn't like?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 10:35:11 am »
Whoah....that's wild dude. Glad you glad your money back but damn that's far out. Out of curiosity why did you request a refund? What was it about the service you didn't like?
Poor physics, outdated graphics engine, too many cars and tracks that were not part of the annual fee, no ability to pause subscription , buttfuckin slow tech support,etc
Getting autocharged after cancelling was just par for the course.

Things may have changed for the better since December 2014

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 12:29:09 pm »
Is the project in this post to give force feedback to *all* games in the Model 3 emulator?, ie, even the ones that don't currently support it?

And if that's the case, out of curiosity, do you know how is that a few games do support it? like Daytona, Scud Race:
http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106

Is that mainly some people getting the original files, and doing some kind of modification to include this force feedback via software, rather than hardware like you guys mention in the post?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 01:59:01 pm »
Is the project in this post to give force feedback to *all* games in the Model 3 emulator?, ie, even the ones that don't currently support it?

This was more for using a model 3 / Naomi wheel & FFB on a PC

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »
Ahh, I see. I think that's even more tricky :)

Then my doubt is not really related, but before creating a new post to see why that could be, do you know how is that a few games in Super Model 3 emulator on PC support force feedback whilst others don't?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 04:14:28 pm »
Because it has to be programmed?  Force feedback is a proprietary Microsoft thing, so whatever feedback an arcade game uses has to be translated to work on our pc devices.

mickael28

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:36 pm »
Because it has to be programmed?  Force feedback is a proprietary Microsoft thing, so whatever feedback an arcade game uses has to be translated to work on our pc devices.

One line sentence, and so much to learn, thank you!!

I didn't know Force feedback was a microsoft thing, ie, I thought it was like a generic protocol that would be the same for all devices (arcades, PCs, consoles - as even non microsoft consoles support it for some games), and that it had to be re-programmed specifically for that game/system.

I've got another doubt now about the subject, let me create a new topic to make it more generic...