Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells D9200 dead  (Read 1714 times)

arcade nut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2017, 11:26:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade
Wells D9200 dead
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
I got a good one, well to some, to some not,,,, 9200 has no neck glow, no clicking,, has 335Vdc across bd801 and 0 at R854, cap kit has been installed with good 105 degree caps,, any help would be greatly appreciated, also new filter caps for good measure,,
Thanks Robert

Robert F

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Wells D9200 dead
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »
I've repaired monitors as my job for nearly 12 years now and the D9200 is the best for reliability...but the worst to fix when it fails. The main issue with these chassis is the multiple B+ power supplies... it was an electrical engineers wet dream.

if you end up with bad caps and a section goes down, power starts back feeding into the dead sections blowing out tons of components in the still working sections until the whole thing is dead. you will find diodes and chips and transistors dead all over the chassis. it's a real dragon to try and fix once this happens, you'll spend weeks tracking down and finding blown components.

Ideally you want to replace the failing capacitors BEFORE it goes dead. chances are 100% if you replace them before. not a problem

problem is, if you wait until it dies... probably less than 50:50 shot.

if it's been run unattended and it dies and continues running for who knows how long... nearly zero.

if it gets to that point, i just trash them.

without knowing it's history or how it got to this point, i couldn't even begin to tell you where to go from here.

arcade nut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 12, 2017, 11:26:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade
Re: Wells D9200 dead
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:26:12 am »
I've repaired monitors as my job for nearly 12 years now and the D9200 is the best for reliability...but the worst to fix when it fails. The main issue with these chassis is the multiple B+ power supplies... it was an electrical engineers wet dream.

if you end up with bad caps and a section goes down, power starts back feeding into the dead sections blowing out tons of components in the still working sections until the whole thing is dead. you will find diodes and chips and transistors dead all over the chassis. it's a real dragon to try and fix once this happens, you'll spend weeks tracking down and finding blown components.

Ideally you want to replace the failing capacitors BEFORE it goes dead. chances are 100% if you replace them before. not a problem

problem is, if you wait until it dies... probably less than 50:50 shot.

if it's been run unattended and it dies and continues running for who knows how long... nearly zero.

if it gets to that point, i just trash them.

without knowing it's history or how it got to this point, i couldn't even begin to tell you where to go from here.
Thank you lilshawn,, it was a basket case when I got it, first thind I did was re-cap the whole thing, including filter caps, replaced IC802, Q802, and she fired up, now I got to replace IC201, I have no red, green and no OSD, I had voltage going in but none coming out of the transformer causing the no B+, Before I go to far, I want to thank Randy Fromm from the bottom of my heart, great guy and easy to talk to,,, he made it so simple
Robert F