Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: circular saw weirdness  (Read 3299 times)

Erzak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 03:47:45 pm
  • First cabinet complete, now about that software...
circular saw weirdness
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:17:23 pm »
Have a weird issue with my circular saw happen yesterday.  I need to make an angle cut in a piece of plywood that's wider than I can use with my 12" table saw.  So I set the angle on my circular saw, clamped down a guide board, and then started the cut.  The cut is ~27" long, and when I got to about the last 8 or 9", the saw started to pull away from the guide.  I stopped, moved the saw back, and tried again.  Same thing happened.  I don't see anything obviously wrong with the wood or the saw.  I would think if the blade was warped, that it wouldn't have cut straight at all.  Is it possible that once it gets hot it's warped or something?  Luckily it pulled away, so the piece of plywood should be salvageable.

Thanks,
Eric

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: circular saw weirdness
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 04:36:38 pm »
Was the board being fully supported on the offcut side?  Possibly binding towards the end of the cut causing it to pull out of straight.

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 05:01:54 pm »
Was the board being fully supported on the offcut side?  Possibly binding towards the end of the cut causing it to pull out of straight.

I was only trimming off < 1 inch, so I don't think that's the issue.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:40:10 pm »
   A fine toothed blade will do that when they get dull, or have damage,  A new blade most likely will fix that,  I have also noticed that the guide plates are remarkably flimsy on some saws and will actually bend and or flex  when you get some pressure on them, especially while attempting an angle cut like that ....  That's better done on the table, or jointer.     
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:52:38 pm by jennifer »

Erzak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:57:46 pm »
   A fine toothed blade will do that when they get dull, or have damage,  A new blade most likely will fix that,  I have also noticed that the guide plates are remarkably flimsy on some saws and will actually bend and or flex  when you get some pressure on them, especially while attempting an angle cut like that ....  That's better done on the table, or jointer.     

It is a fine toothed blade, so I will check that out tonight.  I think I have a unused not-so-fine tooth blade, will try that on a scrap piece of wood first.  :)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:07:34 pm »
    Fine blades are slow and driftey  (<?) by nature anyway, a few less teeth cut faster, last longer, and still leave a nice finish cut.... Don't get hurt friend, that's NEVER fun.