Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which GPU?  (Read 5094 times)

EssexMame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 10:52:05 am
  • Mame Weekender
Which GPU?
« on: August 07, 2017, 05:12:09 am »
First, an admission. I work in IT but I've never, ever, understood graphics cards. The numbering and constant releasing of new models means I'm clueless.

So, I need some help. I have an old PC with a decent (for the time) AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 CPU (socket 939) - the top spec and highly overclockable for that socket. However, my display has gone. I believe I need a new graphics card. Alas there is no on-board graphics to confirm this but pretty sure that's what's gone.

So, advice please - what is the best GPU to get this PC running as best it can without overspending for no improvement? It'll be for Mame/emulators to whatever it can take (N64 would be nice if it can handle it).

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Which GPU?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:14:25 am »
First, an admission. I work in IT but I've never, ever, understood graphics cards. The numbering and constant releasing of new models means I'm clueless.

So, I need some help. I have an old PC with a decent (for the time) AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 CPU (socket 939) - the top spec and highly overclockable for that socket. However, my display has gone. I believe I need a new graphics card. Alas there is no on-board graphics to confirm this but pretty sure that's what's gone.

So, advice please - what is the best GPU to get this PC running as best it can without overspending for no improvement? It'll be for Mame/emulators to whatever it can take (N64 would be nice if it can handle it).

I have a 939 sitting on the shelf, and it was the decent processor at the time.  So we need to change the board and get a A6/A8/A10/A12 chip.  A general use combo would be the A8

So Ebuyer has the chip for 50 nicker
MSI A68HM-P33 V2 Socket for 30 nicker
Memory 4gb 30 nicker

As you will be using on board graphics your PSU will work, case should fit.  I did the same and got a combo deal MSI gaming mainboard and the 6350 and 2x  GTX 950 SLI with 16gb and it plays whatever I throw at it.  The A8 is a decent processor for what you want and you could get it all cheaper than 100 quid.  Just have to look.  ;D
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:41:43 am »
I wouldn't bother spending money on such an old PC. If you were to build a new one what would be your budget?

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:57:42 am »
Hard to say. I didn't really think I needed a budget until now!

I'd probably need to buy a top-whack PC to move towards some PC/gaming VR. I have a crappy old desktop Dell for now for odds-n-sods and an old screen-less laptop for Mame and some older system emus.

So, next PC purchase would be to play current PC games inc. VR so top spec (but for as cheap as possible!). i.e. What we all really want :-)

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 01:43:48 am »
Hard to say. I didn't really think I needed a budget until now!

I'd probably need to buy a top-whack PC to move towards some PC/gaming VR. I have a crappy old desktop Dell for now for odds-n-sods and an old screen-less laptop for Mame and some older system emus.

So, next PC purchase would be to play current PC games inc. VR so top spec (but for as cheap as possible!). i.e. What we all really want :-)

Well your original request was to play emulators not triple A titles and VR.  Maybe you should have been clear in your request.  ::)

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:22:29 am »
I was clear in the request. I want to get this PC running to run Mame/Emulators and therefore what GPU would be needed/possible to get it running to do so. Your information was useful, thanks.

However, if the only way was to get a new PC, that PC would be used for other purposes also (in answer to the next post from SuperGojira2001 saying to get a new PC/what is the budget).

I don't think I'd buy a new PC just for emulators. If I got a new PC I'd get the PC needed for other requirements too - make sense?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:25:12 am by EssexMame »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 01:18:12 pm »
VR is a pretty tall order. I've been down the VR corridor... you need to have pretty consistent frame performance to keep from getting a case of the barfs. Video input lag gives you a "had one too many" swirly feeling when you look around. Performance is pretty key.

For instance, minimum specs for the HTC vive or Oculus Rift headsets are:

GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290 or better videocard
Intel Core i5 4590 or AMD FX 8350 or greater CPU
8GB or more RAM is recommended

as always, more is better. but a minimum spec VR "capable" computer can be built for ~700 USD you could probably cut some corners by buying used video cards and whatnot. But a decent solid performance machine (self built) is in the 1000 to 1200 range.  (add another 20% for prebuilt)

(prices may vary, not all parts perform equally, consult your doctor before starting virtual reality. discontinue use if dizziness, vomiting, or anal bleeding occurs.)

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:50:22 am
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 01:27:54 pm »
I wouldn't even attempt VR on a PC that old. If it's just for emulators, then an nVidia 730 GT is all I would toss into it. You can get a refurb for under $50 on newegg. I used one in my old HTPC for emulators and it did well with the exception of Dolphin playing F-Zero GX. But then, that's a pretty demanding game. other Wii titles worked ok but not great. But for MAME, ZSNES, NES, etc, etc.. it was a perfect card. Unless you are planning on playing anything more intense then that, don't waste your money on anything any more highend.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:55:58 pm »
I was clear in the request. I want to get this PC running to run Mame/Emulators and therefore what GPU would be needed/possible to get it running to do so. Your information was useful, thanks.

However, if the only way was to get a new PC, that PC would be used for other purposes also (in answer to the next post from SuperGojira2001 saying to get a new PC/what is the budget).

I don't think I'd buy a new PC just for emulators. If I got a new PC I'd get the PC needed for other requirements too - make sense?

Not really.  Like I said, I had a 939 and upgraded to something I could do everything with.  I would still keep the 939 for an arcade cab, or peruse ebay for a x2 Athlon 4200 which is a beast of a chip. Get a gtx 750 for next to nothing and you are golden.  Stay away from VR, unless you have a samsung vr headset.  It is too early to invest in the technology.

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 05:33:37 am »
Thanks. I believe the AMD Athlon FX-60 dual core is the best done for the socket 939. Certainly, it (slightly) outranks the 4200 on https://www.cpubenchmark.net

Even if the 4200 is better it's not enough for me to need to worry about the CPU. It's 2.6Ghz dual core AMD. Not ideal for Mame which seems to prefer Intel perhaps but good enough for 80's/early 90's I'm sure.

The advice on the cheap GPU to get it running again is very useful! If I get it and my fault isn't the GPU I've not lost much (indeed I'll put it in a new PC if necessary). Seems I can get a 1Gb version for £30. Is that what I'd need?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 11:12:54 am »
It's 2.6Ghz dual core AMD. Not ideal for Mame which seems to prefer Intel perhaps but good enough for 80's/early 90's I'm sure.
I've only run MAME on AMD processors.  :-)  And they work great.  Slightly better if you compile it for an AMD CPU.  Since you're in I.T. it may be right up your alley.  Check out the MAME compiler here (easy GUI interface courtesy of BYOAC member Headkaze):  http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=mame&page=mc64

As far as the GPU goes, you may want to look into getting a ATI Radeon card so that you have the option of running MAME on a genuine arcade monitor at 15kHz or a CRT screen.  (Any model from Radeon 7000 to the HD 7xxx family should work, both AGP and PCIe models.)  If you use an LED (and try to use 4:3) you don't really need GroovyMAME.  Read more about GroovyMAME here:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151459.0.html

Also, if you're curious, I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 (quad core) on my existing MAME cab which also runs Hyperspin https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Black-Power-Socket/dp/B001F4UV6I

Hope this info helped!

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 03:55:02 pm »

Seems I can get a 1Gb version for £30. Is that what I'd need?

id be sure to get a videocard with gddr5 ram instead of gddr3. its performance will be much better for what you will get.  (still cheap but perform way better.)  a gddr5 card is somewhere around the GT500 or GT600 series mark. you should be able to get one of those for about 50 bucks.

Utderside

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 09:25:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Top 15 Sex Cam Chat Sites
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:57:46 am »
VR setups for a computer usually run in the thousands for a decent one that doesn't give you any lag or stuttering. I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to budget about ~$1000+ for a good gaming rig/VR setup.