Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Unable to update groovymame from LXDE  (Read 1511 times)

Edglaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2018, 05:25:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Unable to update groovymame from LXDE
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:11:20 am »
In Groovyarcade, using the LXDE frontend to update groovymame and move rom files, for some reason, wheever I try to replace /usr/local/binaries/groovymame file I get the message "permission denied". It does not allow me to change permissions to for that folder either. How can I easily do it? I'm not very skillful with linux so I do not know how to do it from a command line console...

Help, please!

cgrisamore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 07:33:54 am
Re: Unable to update groovymame from LXDE
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:14:25 am »
Linux manages permissions depending on who the owner of the file is.  You can find out the owner and the current permissions by typing the below command in a terminal.

ls -l /path/to/file

You can use sudo command to temporarily give yourself root privileges to delete, replace, change owner, and/or change rights.

Edglaf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2018, 05:25:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Unable to update groovymame from LXDE
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:00:45 am »
Thanks, indeed it worked but could not remove the file at first. I just had not noticed that you have to set, preferably prior to installation, a password for root. I case it someone might need ir in the future:

From LXDE desktop open an LXterminal window, for example, and introduce these commands (roughly, i'm recalling from memmory):

Su –

#Introduce your password for root

Ls /usr/local/bin

Rm groovymame