Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: correct configuration for games reported as 768x224 if not using super  (Read 1720 times)

billfor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2017, 12:15:55 pm
I upgraded from 164 to 186,  and am trying it on XP first before I go to windows 10. For the most part everything is working great but  with the removal of the "frogger" patch in 169, it is choosing different resolutions for those vertical games reported out of mame as 762x224 (frogger, galaxian, scramble, etc....). Trying to force it back with  -resolution 400x256 does "almost" work but I'm noticing the test patterns thrown up by galaxian and scramble are missing a tiny bit of the right edge. I don't really notice it when playing the games but clearly there are a couple vertical lines missing....  Is there a way to configure groovymame so that the entire field is shown or would it be better just to go to Windows10 and enable the super resolutions?

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
Re: correct configuration for games reported as 768x224 if not using super
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:21:00 am »
Just add 768x240 with VMMaker.

billfor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2017, 12:15:55 pm
Re: correct configuration for games reported as 768x224 if not using super
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:29:32 pm »
Thank you that works.  A bit blurry though at that resolution on a horizontal monitor. After trying it for a while I wound up putting the patch back in and it seems to work OK. Too many games use that galaxian.cpp.... The stars are messed up now but the rest of the playing field is sharp.  I know it is not correct but it might be useful to have a mame.ini option for those that play both horizontal and vertical games and cannot easily rotate the monitor.

I've attached the patch for v186 in case it is of any help to anyone.

Thanks again.