Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee Fore not booting  (Read 5313 times)

ksbman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2022, 12:15:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Golden Tee Fore not booting
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:22:31 pm »
I am working on a GT Fore (2003 assumed security chip is G43) that is not booting on two different green boards (a Rev 5 (boot v1.06) and Rev6 (boot v1.07)).  Status 1 stays green, no IDE light unless you disconnect the molex connector and power it back on.  The HDD (75AA) tests fine, 3 partitions (500MB, 1.5GB and 5.1GB unallocated).  I can install a blank 40GB HDD and the IDE light will at least stay on during boot, but I don't get any output on the screen (I don't expect it to boot with the 40GB because of the wrong boot rom). When the guy bought it, it was working.  Got it to his house and it would not boot.  He has had about 3-4 people come out to work on it and they have replaced the power supply with a Suzo-Happ supply, replaced the motherboard.  I have tested the voodoo3 video card in an older PC and it is working fine, but when plugging the LCD into the card while in the GT PCB, I get no output, I assume because it is not booting.  I have tested and wiped the original HDD and reloaded the 2003 CHD, same result. 

I've tried two different power supplies, and U15 pin 32 is showing 5.10V on both boards.  Other voltage testing points test OK;  I've treid adjusting the voltages from the power supply, with no change.

I know I need a new boot rom to use a larger HDD, but since it is not booting, I really don't want to order one until I can get the board to boot.

I have now ruled one of the PCB's (Rev 5 board) as bad because there are burn spots up by the trackball connectors.  I have not found any burn or corrosion spots on the other board (Rev 6) yet.

I have reviewed several of Ed's posts of similar issues, but have not fixed the issue.  I have not changed the sockets, but I did heat them up with a soldering iron from the bottom to make sure they are making a good connection and tested continuity.  I've tried botting from BOOTROM v.103, v.106 and v1.07, none of them boot.  I do not currently have a logic probe or an EPROM programmer at this time.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance

Here is a picture if it is useful

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/wB5UPvcSkMm8tqJQP3f1Yrxe4lE78blhVa0zYblpbmK 

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
Re: Golden Tee Fore not booting
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 05:07:21 pm »
what exact s/w are u loading to the hard drive ?
the status 1 staying on solid means some thing is hanging up in the 2nd boot sector (not hard drive but board)
u need to chase that chain
u15 or its socket
u61
u26
or last but not least u2 (pray it is not u2)

gt4 should be golden tee 2004/5
your u61 will never match (red screen of death)

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ksbman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:35:24 pm »
Ed, thanks for your feedback.

The marquee says GT Fore 2003 and since it is a G43, I assume it is still a 2003.  If the HDD image is wrong, I can deal with that later.  I used the golf_fore_2003_v3.00.10.chd and chdman146, but I think it is hanging before it even gets to the HDD.  I ordered some new IC sockets to replace them, they should be here next week.
I pulled U26 a little bit ago and didn't like the way one of the sockets looked, So I am definitely going to change it out.
I was double checking the JAMA connection and for some reason there a +5 on 5 and the +5 on 3 was missing, so I fixed those and show proper voltage on them now, but no difference in the boot.

I will dig around the sockets you suggested while I wait for the new ones to come in.

Thanks for the assistance.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:11 pm »
u15 should be replaced out of sheer principal
get a copy of partition wizard 9.1 make sure it is 9.1
install it (it is clean have no fear)
and use the scan disk part to chk the surface of your hard drive to make sure there is no errors
once u are good (no errors) then use the wipe function
and clean the drive off, do not put a active partition on..
now use chdman to load your .chd file

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

ksbman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:55 am »
Ed, I removed/cleaned/changed the sockets on U15 and U26, check continuity from the chips to the bottom of the board, they all come up good.  U61 and it's traces look good.
Now when I boot, status 1 does no illuminate.  I verified I am getting 5.10v on U16 pin 32.  I have followed the traces and I don't see anything obvious lifting or burn marks.  So I have screwed something up when changing out the sockets.

On the HDD, we can get to that later, but I did check/wipe it with partition wizard 9.1, then loaded the CHD.

Thanks

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 01:00:35 pm »
ok here is where we go
around u15 u will see upper and lower traces
they need to be diode checked between u15 socket (top where pin is for ic seating)
and where they come from normaly

what happens is when u remove the socket , some times u break a path without knowning it

ed

ksbman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:21 pm »
Ed, sorry for the delay, things got a little busy around here.  Re-reading your post, not sure I did what you asked.  I checked the socket with and without the EEPROM in it with a login probe in TTL/Pulse mode.  So not sure if this will help or not, but I have attached the results.

I will go back and work on tracing the upper and lower traces. 

My guess is the board was previously given too much juice from the guy that worked on it before I got it as when I checked the voltage originally, the turn screw was cranked.  But even cranked, it was only outputting ~5.6v and the 12v was actually low, only ~14.4v.  I am using a new power supply for my testing, getting 5.1v/12.3v on the board from it.

Status 1 has no output now instead of solid and status 2 blinks as it should.

I also picked up a Eagle 2.09 (from a green complete board with chips that was untested) and it reads fine in my EEPROM reader.  I also picked up some blank EEPROMs and put Eagle 2.09 on it from the MAME dump, no change.  I did get some bad checksums on a couple of the older boot roms I had V1.05/1.06.

The new complete board does the same thing, Status 1 not on, Status 2 blinks.  I got a new Jamma harness and have +5v/+12v/GND wired into the new power supply, so power should be good for both and video card is not installed in the PCB for now.

Regards,

Brian

ksbman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:49 pm »
One more update on this, if I plug in an HDD, the Status lights don't change and the IDE light blinks ~2 seconds.

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:34:47 pm »
please focus on status 1 light not blinking.
as with it out, your board will never come out of bios  chk #1

I read your input on the u1 eprom
let me do a compare

u may need to do some probing on u2
let me find there proper paper work

ed

ksbman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:03 pm »
I was doing some testing and noticed if I applied some pressure to the U2 chip, it would cause status 1 to come on.  So I assumed something was loose on U2.  I applied pressure to U2 and hit it with a heat gun, and now status 1 stays on solid.  IDE blinks at a steady second to second and a half when the HDD is plugged in, Status 0 continues to blink as it should. 

So now I am at a solid status 1 indicator with or without the video card or HDD plugged in.  I also tried connecting a CDROM with the HDD to see if that would do anything, and no change. 

So at this point I assume it is stuck on the U2 chip somewhere.

Thanks

ed12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:19:51 pm »
yes ok so now we do this.
what u need to do is go around pin for pin and reflow each pin >very care fully< or u will bridge a pin
and blow the non replace-able ic
there is tricks I can explain to u
to help u.
stuff like liquid flux
high heat iron >not hot air< but 1 with a penciel tip

ed

ksbman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 07:04:09 pm »
Ed, after looking at the Spartan chip, it appears someone tried to fix it and made a huge mess of it.  I am not ready to take that on at this point, not in my wheelhouse.  So I am just going to have my buddy order a working board from somewhere and consider fixing the board a no go.

I appreciate all your assistance on this, but I do have another question for you.  I have seen posts by you regarding using different video cards and loading drivers.  I am familiar with Linux and I know IT changes the file system type in Linux to make it look like a different kind of drive so it makes it difficult to mount and add drivers.  I ask because my buddy is wanting to do HDMI out to connect it to a TV and I would rather use a different video card with HDMI out than go through a converter.

Regards,

Brian

Trackballer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:42:28 am
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 08:40:23 pm »
I'm having trouble with my red golden tee fore complete board, I bought a flash drive off eBay, the seller said there was no need to replace U15 ( I have version 2.04) which I find confusing because the other seller sells a flash drive that comes with the new eagle 2.09.  my status lights flash the way they should, it reboots after I get through all the checks, says starting game I believe then resets.  #1 do I have to get 2.09 boot rom at U15 for this to work. #2 this flash drive is currently on eBay and says any boot rom will work, is this seller telling the truth?. #3 is it normal for the game to reset using a flash drive if the boot room don't like it??... Any feedback would be appreciated.