Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: UV Reactive Powder Coat Paint  (Read 5388 times)

usaf-lt-g

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 01:57:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
UV Reactive Powder Coat Paint
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:39:50 pm »
Hi guys,

Technically, this isn't for my cabinet as my cab is finished. However, I have a full size competition air hockey table to go aside my cab, and the rails that the puck bounces off of are a God Awful dull purplish / pink. Because these are metal, they need to be powder coated. I'd like to re-do them in either a fluorescent Green or Orange, but a fluorescent color is not necessarily "UV Reactive" under a black light.

I'm having a hard time finding any company or even maybe an additative that could be added to a normal powder coating that would facilitate a UV reaction from a black light (bright glow under a black light).

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: UV Reactive Powder Coat Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:46 pm »
Because these are metal, they need to be powder coated.

You choose them to be powdercoated. Just because they are metal doesn't mean they HAVE to be powdercoated.

Just paint them and then clear coat them to make them chip resistant. Pick something off http://www.glomania.com/ and go for it. I'm sure you'll be happy with the quality of the finish.

usaf-lt-g

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:27 pm »
Because these are metal, they need to be powder coated.

You choose them to be powdercoated. Just because they are metal doesn't mean they HAVE to be powdercoated.

Just paint them and then clear coat them to make them chip resistant. Pick something off http://www.glomania.com/ and go for it. I'm sure you'll be happy with the quality of the finish.

I'm not certain regular paint and "clear coat" is going to be resistant enough. You really think so? We're not talking a kids size home size air hockey table. We're talking a full arcade size 8 foot table with 3 1/4" sized commercial pucks rapidly bouncing off the rails. It's hard for me to believe a clear coat would protect normal paint.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 02:55:00 pm »
   Yes it will, take a car for example, they are subject to grasshopers and all kinds of hazards They are normally done with 3 coats of production clear however, That is thin, and fast drying, multiple coats of a high build,applied by an experienced painter. building it up in stages, wetsanding between every 3 coats of a slightly overreduced, (and a spash of actone to help reduce orangepeel) Would offer a deep high impact finish....That is until somebody carves "For a good time call Jennifer" on it, but what are you going to do, nothing lasts forever....BTW, olleH L/shawn  >:D

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:28:52 pm »
yes. can confirm.... owner/operator.

A home gamer isn't going to subject equipment to the likes of an unsupervised PUBLIC on a route. People are pretty cognizant about treating someone's personal property with care. Drunk people in a bar, on a public table... not so much.

(hey jenjen)  :lol

usaf-lt-g

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 12:11:53 am »
   Yes it will, take a car for example, they are subject to grasshopers and all kinds of hazards They are normally done with 3 coats of production clear however, That is thin, and fast drying, multiple coats of a high build,applied by an experienced painter. building it up in stages, wetsanding between every 3 coats of a slightly overreduced, (and a spash of actone to help reduce orangepeel) Would offer a deep high impact finish....That is until somebody carves "For a good time call Jennifer" on it, but what are you going to do, nothing lasts forever....BTW, olleH L/shawn  >:D

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. I know just the guy who is a professional painter. He  actually repainted some of my car, got rid of all the orange peel, and put on some really high grade paint. Phenomenal job. I on the other hand... suck at painting parts like that. If it's not a wall I can use a roller or a brush on.... forget it. Want a spray paint can job with plenty of runs and drips? No problem! I'm your guy.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:17 am »
     Leaning to paint is a ugly proposition, Jennifer is self taught, but that hasn't come easy, a heavy price indeed. ( most likely one of the few left), most today are school taught and by the book, paint isn't like that however, mandated by theory that is, Temperature and conditions require deviations from that approach.  The cost of chems, and regulations should also be considered  (thinner at 40.00 /gal) actually has me cooking it in a still in an attempt to keep cost down. Spray cans and airbrushing are a good ways to learn should you be interested.... But not for this project, What you talking about, is a really cool idea, and deserves quality.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 01:49:35 pm »
Agreed, learn to paint in your spare time on something you don't care so much about. I used to dick around painting dirtbikes... at least if there is a mess up it's not so bad... gonna be dragging it through trees anyways.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:01 pm »

I learned to paint with spray cans on arcade parts that are INSIDE the cabinet.  Coin boxes, PCB cages, power supply mounting brackets, etc.  That way if I screw it up it doesn't matter much.

michelevit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2019, 01:46:18 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 02:24:13 pm »
automotive clear coat will be plenty strong.