Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dunkirk (The Christopher Nolan movie released 2017)  (Read 2889 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Dunkirk (The Christopher Nolan movie released 2017)
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:55:43 am »

Take 2. The story so far, as relates to the movie Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan, released in 2017

This is brilliant! Several perspectives of a brief point in time. Not based on any real characters, just a great story. The soundtrack really helps it along. I'm sure there is an Oscar in it for Christopher Nolan, since he wrote, directed and produced it. And an Oscar for the score maybe, it is something very different to your usual orchestral score. Technically, it is orchestral, but mostly consisting of sounds akin to heartbeats, ticking clocks etc.

Perhaps an only failing, for some people might be that there is no strong single lead in the movie. but that is the point of it I think. A bit like say Tora, Tora, Tora but you don't have to sit through two hours of movie to get to the exciting bit at the end!

This is a 5/5 for me (",)

I went to see it last night.
Good film but I wish they didnt do the whole skipping back and forth thing.

Should of just let it play out.

Should of just let it play out.

I had family members that went to Dunkirk and didn't come back. 

I think I will miss that one and redbox it when I am feeling depressed.

Should have just let it play out.

It's part of what made it a great film in my opinion (",)

Saw it last weekend. I liked it. Non stop action. The different
perspectives confused me at first but I liked it after I figured out
what was going on. I recommend this war pic. Warning: this is
not a chick flick and may not appease the wives and girl friends.

Its been seen by a veteran of Dunkirk who said it was very realistic and a good portrayal.

Make of that what you will.

We got to see it yesterday in IMAX.  What an amazing movie.    The cinematography and soundtrack were nothing short of spectacular.   

It was enlightening to see a war movie shown from a non-American perspective.  The only other movie (and book) and can remember seeing from another perspective was All Quiet on the Western Front.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: Dunkirk (The Christopher Nolan movie released 2017)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:04:38 am »

We got to see it yesterday in IMAX.  What an amazing movie.    The cinematography and soundtrack were nothing short of spectacular.   

It was enlightening to see a war movie shown from a non-American perspective.  The only other movie (and book) and can remember seeing from another perspective was All Quiet on the Western Front.

Yes I'm actually regretting not seeing at an Imax screen. I just went to the nearest cinema. Then in the credits I saw it was filmed in 60/70mm. I had probably heard it had been but it slipped my mind until then. I may go see it again on an Imax (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:51 am »
We didn't get to see it in the full aspect ratio (1:43:1) though.  The IMAX options we had were 2:20:1 which was still great.  We did see the trailer for Dunkirk in the full format IMAX back in December and it was a take your breath away experience.  To be honest I didn't realize there were different formats for IMAX but when we saw that trailer it was stunning how much more of the screen it filled up.

https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/dunkirk-formatguide.jpg

Yes I'm actually regretting not seeing at an Imax screen. I just went to the nearest cinema. Then in the credits I saw it was filmed in 60/70mm. I had probably heard it had been but it slipped my mind until then. I may go see it again on an Imax (",)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:37:15 am »
Hmmmm, now where did I put that post?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:43:05 am »

Ha!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 10:55:04 am »

Ha!

It's all good. I am sure Christopher Nolan treated the subject with the reverence and respect it deserves. This isn't Michael Bay's Dunkirk, after all.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 11:35:07 am »
To be honest I have not even been reading his posts. 

Ha!

It's all good. I am sure Christopher Nolan treated the subject with the reverence and respect it deserves. This isn't Michael Bay's Dunkirk, after all.