Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Who has a work vehicle? (Not a service vehicle)  (Read 2574 times)

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Who has a work vehicle? (Not a service vehicle)
« on: July 31, 2017, 03:54:08 pm »
Just wondering who has a work vehicle that isn't a service vehicle and how you acquired it.  If you asked for it or were it was given to you as an incentive.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Who has a work vehicle? (Not a service vehicle)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 04:14:19 pm »
Do you work for the IRS? :bat

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:53:39 am »
I had several choices, mercedes, BMW or audi.  I opted for a Hyundai Elantra.  My boss was very impressed with the economy of my choice, that everyone had to lease one.  I had a good laugh from everyone's expense.  Pity I could not get a fiat, as they get really good gas mileage.

Usually you pick from a pool, but one of the benefits of off-site work. with this job is the car and the amex black.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
For me it was simple, although I was an IT manager and not a salesman, I was logging enough miles visiting all our remote branches a few times per year that the cost of paying mileage was more than buying a vehicle for me.  So I got a company car.  That ended when we sold our company though... Of course, this was a family business, and being family had perks. 

Frankly I think every single business is going to be unique in how it determines if you need a company vehicle.  Beware though, recording mileage, tracking personal vs work use, and dealing with expense reports for fuel is kind of a pain in the ass.  And it isn't worth having unless you can use it as your primary vehicle and not also have a personal vehicle, so you end up being restricted with your only vehicle.  When it is all said and done, the money it saved me was only marginally worth the hassle.  It stings a little to pay for full tanks of gas after over a decade of not having to foot that bill, and insurance is a bummer, but the freedom of being able to use my own car for whatever I want and not have to record every mile is kind of nice...

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »
For me it was simple, although I was an IT manager and not a salesman, I was logging enough miles visiting all our remote branches a few times per year that the cost of paying mileage was more than buying a vehicle for me.  So I got a company car.  That ended when we sold our company though... Of course, this was a family business, and being family had perks. 

Frankly I think every single business is going to be unique in how it determines if you need a company vehicle.  Beware though, recording mileage, tracking personal vs work use, and dealing with expense reports for fuel is kind of a pain in the ass.  And it isn't worth having unless you can use it as your primary vehicle and not also have a personal vehicle, so you end up being restricted with your only vehicle.  When it is all said and done, the money it saved me was only marginally worth the hassle.  It stings a little to pay for full tanks of gas after over a decade of not having to foot that bill, and insurance is a bummer, but the freedom of being able to use my own car for whatever I want and not have to record every mile is kind of nice...

I don't have that problem.  I have a travel secretary do all that for me.  I just get my schedule uploaded to my phone and a list of clients to visit.  I'm a consultant, but would give anything to be stuck in the office again.  Travelling sucks.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 06:16:12 pm »
My dad works for a private environmental company. They got him a truck a cellphone an iPad, and a credit card.  Seems like a sweet deal. He even gave me his personal truck he didn't need it anymore because of the work truck.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 06:21:56 pm »
I don't have that problem.  I have a travel secretary do all that for me.  I just get my schedule uploaded to my phone and a list of clients to visit.  I'm a consultant, but would give anything to be stuck in the office again.  Travelling sucks.
Your travel secretary does your mileage logs?  I imagine the IRS would frown on that..

I can't disagree with the travel thing though.. Used to be I would get out to our 14 locations once or twice per year, mostly driving around the western U.S., and it was nice.  Since we sold the company in April, I've put over 40k miles in the air, mostly to North Carolina, which sucks to get to from Billings, MT, and I will have another 25k miles in the air before the end of the year.  I spend around 18-20 hours each week in the airports and on planes on the weeks I travel, and after next week that will be 3 out of 4 weeks out of town.

Travel days are nice when you are tied down in the office most of the time, but when it gets to the point where you spend more time in hotels and in airports than you do at home, it starts to suck...

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 04:56:07 am »
Your travel secretary does your mileage logs?  I imagine the IRS would frown on that..

Sorry, yes she does all the logs for mileage, and arranges car services all due to a small OBDII-2 dongle that connects to my Bluetooth on my phone and monitors the miles driven, fuel used, etc.  It is similar to Torque Pro plug-in for Android and it all works in the background.  Luckily it is small enough to hide in the fuse panel.  It uses an app like FastMilage but it is best to get a decent reader than the crap ones off amazon.  All I have to do is read off the odo after each trip.  You might want to take a look.