Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Flashback 8 Gold HD..... looks.... good?  (Read 3827 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Atari Flashback 8 Gold HD..... looks.... good?
« on: July 29, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »
John Hancock was showing off the console, which apparently is now available for pre-order.  Even though it's at@games, and they pull some of their usual b.s.  (some games aren't the 2600 versions of the games, hdmi port is on the side of the unit, ect.) it looks pretty good.  The interface is good, the emulation is good, ect.  They even managed to include some of the activision games this time so it doesn't feel incomplete. 

70 bucks is a bit steep imho, but it isn't terrible.  You can preorder at gamestop right now.  I would order it this instant if I thought it could be hacked to include an entire library. 

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
Re: Atari Flashback 8 Gold HD..... looks.... good?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »
they need to all have the sd slot like the portable

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:26:28 am »
It's a shame about the hideous buttons on the top that are far too big and not in keeping with the styling of the original unit.

But yeah, overall it doesn't look too shabby at all. The key for me will be whether it's easily hackable or not. If the answer is no, then I wouldn't buy it for half the price.

I'm also quite liking the look of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive Flashback HD which appears to have a very similar interface, and is probably based on the same hardware. But again, the key for me will be whether it's easily hackable or not.

Admittedly it's getting terrible reviews. But most of the issues appear to be software related. So, in theory, the issues could be fixed either through hacking or with an official firmware upgrade.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

1500points

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:16:42 am »
Thanks for posting. Found the cnet review.

Looks like it still doesn't stack up to the portable with sd. 

Only drawback is no paddle setup as it would be fun to play stunt cycle on the portable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk