Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Broke my video signal, but no idea how. Please help.  (Read 1217 times)

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
Broke my video signal, but no idea how. Please help.
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:05:12 pm »
I am in the middle of building my Mame cab by converting a Motal Kombat cabinet. I have a PC with the ArcadeVGA video card feeding to a J-PAC which feeds directly to my Wells Gardner 25" monitor.

Until today, everything was fine. The PC would boot, the DELL bios screen would appear on the monitor, and then Windows would load as expected. Everything was solid and had a great picture on the screen.

Having the full PC sitting inside the cab was a bit challenging, so today I removed all the components from the PC chassis and installed them directly inside the arcade cab.  The PC motherboard is now mounted to the side of the cab on standoffs, the power supply is mounted to the floor of the cab, etc.  During the work, I removed the ArcadeVGA video card from the PCIe x16 slot, and then once I installed the mother board in the cabinet I returned the ArcadeVGA card exactly where it was before on the motherboard.  When I moved the PC components to the cab, I discarded an old modem card and an old CD drive that aren't needed for my Mame cabinet.

After putting all the pieces back together, I have lost vertical hold.  Even when I use the Wells Gardner pot to adjust the vertical hold, I can't get it to stop flipping entirely. And the picture is also "jumpy". And even when I have the vertical hold as close as I can get it to being stable (only flipping very slowly) when Windows is running, the DELL bios boot screen and the Windows loading screen still flip really fast - which wasn't the case before I relocated the components from the PC to the arcade cab.

Any suggestions what is happening here?  I'm really frustrated and can't figure this out.

Thanks,

Gedman
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:08:36 pm by gedman »

gedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 01:25:30 pm
  • My first cab is almost done. Loving the challenge.
Re: Broke my video signal, but no idea how. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:05 am »
Fixed it by uninstall the video card drivers and then reinstall. I have no idea why removing/retuneing the video card from a powered-off PC would cause a problem, but just happy that I have it fixed.

Gedman