Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Puttin Holes in 14 Gague Stainless Steel  (Read 5740 times)

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:27:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Puttin Holes in 14 Gague Stainless Steel
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:10 pm »
So I had a metal control panel on a dynamo hs-5 that I added 1 button to and it was AWFUL!

lucky me, I had a friend from out of town make and ship me a couple control panels with no holes in them for my new Atari Showcase (gauntlet legends) but like the title says, they are 14 gauge Stainless Steel.  If anyone has any suggestions on getting 1 1/8" holes through them cheap in an apartment with no garage I'd appreciate it :D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Puttin Holes in 14 Gague Stainless Steel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 03:30:02 pm »
metal hole punch
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:36 pm »
^this.

Cleanest way for a fellow apartment dweller.  :lol

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 12:07:02 am »
Ordered a greenlee 730 1.1/8 punch, a 1/2 inch cobalt drill bit and some milling oil. Plan is to get the starter holes drilled with the oil and 1/2 " bit then clamp on with the punch.

If anyone has any suggestions I am listening

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:01:56 am »
I'd suggest you get a 1" punch as well, and test on a scrap piece. Punches are for conduit plates and things of that ilk and the measurements arent always 100% DOB.

The punches I have (...........or had, haven't seen them in a while) used a 1/8" bit for a tap. Definitely post the results.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:45:44 pm »
   A bi metal hole saw, and a good quality drill.... Do it on cardboard so you clean the mess completly when your done. The metal bits hurt like fire if you get a sliver in your bare feet.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 10:28:52 pm »
Holes that size in 14g stainless?  Good luck!  Please, let us know how it goes.

usaf-lt-g

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 01:57:32 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 07:44:27 pm »
So I had a metal control panel on a dynamo hs-5 that I added 1 button to and it was AWFUL!

lucky me, I had a friend from out of town make and ship me a couple control panels with no holes in them for my new Atari Showcase (gauntlet legends) but like the title says, they are 14 gauge Stainless Steel.  If anyone has any suggestions on getting 1 1/8" holes through them cheap in an apartment with no garage I'd appreciate it :D

I would think that only way you're going to get a smooth, machined look to it... is either take it to someone who does CNC protyping or... maybe... a drill press with a very special high RPM heavy steel cutting hole saw, potentially with a water trickle going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:06:52 pm »

I would think that only way you're going to get a smooth, machined look to it... is either take it to someone who does CNC protyping or... maybe... a drill press with a very special high RPM heavy steel cutting hole saw, potentially with a water trickle going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
   What?,  Like the machine shed at NASA?.... Dude, a bimetal holesaw and a center bit, on the kitchen table. It will fight a little just before it goes through, so maybe a drop of cutting oil, clean the slag off the backside with a semi round file or a dremel.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:21:44 pm »
A hole punch like the one he got will give him the cleanest results.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 05:59:58 am »
    Stainless as compared to mild steel has a higher nickel content making it considerably more hard and brittle. (Malenko has it right that's more of a production punch for conduit) And notice its only for up to 14 gauge MILD steel in the specs  https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-730BB-1-1-Standard-Knockout-8-Inch/dp/B002NQWZU2  As for cleaner holes that would be up for discussion, the top will rollover before it shears, kinda like a punch press Cutting though with a saw doesn't do that it cuts flat. And futhermore a hole saw is about 1/4 the price.... But whatever, Jennifer digresses.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:33:31 am by jennifer »

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 08:19:47 am »
Well the 1/2 Cobalt drill bit works but it pretty much takes a full battery charge to get one hole through, the milling oil is good stuff though its impressive how cool it keeps the surface, and the cobalt bit doesn't seem to be getting any duller after the first 3 holes.

The punch-  very cool little piece of equipment, Jennifer is right, it put a very slight lip on the holes but they did sheer very cleanly otherwise, no burrs or razor sharp edges leftover which i appreciate.  The lip is super negligible and the button's rim covers it completely with a lot of room to spare.  The 1.1/8" punch is the perfect size for HAPP buttons, there is maybe 1-2 mm of play but tightening the "button-nut" locks them in nicely.

My only gripe about the punch is that I am using a 8" crescent wrench with it and I am just barely able to crank it with all of my strength/body weight (230lbs!)  I am going to go buy some conduit to extend the wrench handle and i feel like it will be smooth sailing afterwards.

besides a bigger wrench for the die, the most annoying part is drilling that 1/2" starter hole.  There is room for improvement there I think - I just don't know what the right tool would be.

and Jennifer, my old man keeps recommending a (bi-metal)hole saw too, he does engineering stuff at his job so I trust his advice, if i hadn't already ordered the punch I would have probably gone that route.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:21:59 am by bimm25e »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:58:33 am »
You seriously need a drill that plugs into the wall if you are going to be drilling holes in steel. You are going to melt down that poor screw shooter.

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 09:11:18 am »
You seriously need a drill that plugs into the wall if you are going to be drilling holes in steel. You are going to melt down that poor screw shooter.

You are not wrong, if i had a corded drill I'd be using it.  I'm out of town till tomorrow but I was thinking about craigslisting a used corded drill, or do you think i should go impact wrench since I'm gonna have to buy something?  OR if anyone in cleveland with the appropriate hardwarte wants to come over and play some pinball and have a couple beers I am always happy to meet fellow enthusiasts :D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 02:25:32 pm »
The punch-  very cool little piece of equipment, Jennifer is right, it put a very slight lip on the holes but they did sheer very cleanly otherwise, no burrs or razor sharp edges leftover which i appreciate.  The lip is super negligible and the button's rim covers it completely with a lot of room to spare.  The 1.1/8" punch is the perfect size for HAPP buttons, there is maybe 1-2 mm of play but tightening the "button-nut" locks them in nicely.
Yeah I really like the punch rather than hole-saw for this application. Personal preference I guess.
The clean even holes and no burring/razor edges just eliminates more work in the long run. Sure it takes a bit more elbow grease to crank it, but the results are much nicer, and to your point of being in an apartment there is less clean-up. 

My only gripe about the punch is that I am using a 8" crescent wrench with it and I am just barely able to crank it with all of my strength/body weight (230lbs!)  I am going to go buy some conduit to extend the wrench handle and i feel like it will be smooth sailing afterwards.
Definitely recommend this, you need more man-muscle torque to make it easier.

Nice job, that hole looks very clean.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 02:40:35 pm »
Sure it takes a bit more elbow grease to crank it, but the results are much nicer, and to your point of being in an apartment there is less clean-up.
:laugh2:

Quotes are fun out of context.

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 06:32:57 pm »
PILOT HOLES PILOT HOLES PILOT HOLES!!!!

how was i not doing this already?! by:
1 drilling a small pilot hole,
2 then a slightly larger one in it,
3 then a slightly larger one,
4 then going to the 1/2" bit,
5 then flipping over and drilling from the backside after getting about 1/2 through with the big bit.
6 clamping on with the punch and wrenching away till you hear the pop (Punch/teeth on the CP side, die on under side, makes the hole's lip go downward and finishes 100% ready for hands to be sliding on it and not getting scratched or cut)

using this method has seriously expedited the drilling the starter hole for the punch, it has allowed to me place the holes very accurately as well and minimized walking or having to apply insane amounts of weight behind the drill.  This takes a little time still, but is no longer a PITA during any of the steps.

The knockout punch did wear out after 13 holes though, so plan on either going very carefully while tightening, or only getting about 10-12 holes out of one before having to replace it) if you are working on 14 gauge hardened steel like your old buddy, OP
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:08:41 am by bimm25e »

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 06:55:07 pm »
After 13 holes the draw stud threads of the punch are pretty boogered-up I don't want to continue and damage the punch. Does anyone know what I could do for a replacement draw stud?
 Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 03:32:08 pm by bimm25e »

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 11:00:57 am »
Ordered a replacement punch, same brand "greenlee 730".  I bough the last punch for $25 shipped, and got 13 holes out of it.  I spoke to my old man and he said $2 a hole isn't that bad so i guess I'll plan on about 10 holes before one wears out and just waste money accordingly :D

I am curious to try the new draw stud with the old punch but if it grinds even a little while threading im just going to toss it in the scrap bin.

bimm25e

• Online Online
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:30:32 pm »
new punch made the last 3 holes nice and easy, right as I was finishing, I had gotten the process down pretty damn well.

I used cobalt drill bits and a little bottle of milling oil from amazon

drill starter hole with 1/8" drill bit
drill larger hole with 1/4" drill bit
drill larger hole with 3/8" Drill bit
drill larger hole with 1/2" drill bit
clamp on with Greenlee 730 1.1/8" punch (die on the UNDER SIDE of the panel, punch on the TOP s the li goes downward) and 2' pipe on a crescent wrench handle for leverage
crank nice and easy until the punch makes 2 snap sounds and starts spinning freely again.

a tip on the punch - as my first one was being ruined, it started making a squeaking sound while I was using it,  not sure if by the time I heard the sound it was already too late, or if I was going to hard or something and could have made an adjustment to my technique.  ether way, if you hear like a squeaking/rubbing noise while using the punch, its not a good sign.